Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Atlanta United

BiggDawgg63BiggDawgg63 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Okay, here we go again. I became a soccer fan when we got a home state team to pull for. So far it’s been fun watching and learning something new still don’t understand the loaning players to this or that club probably never will. Here’s my question did we get better this off season or are we rebuilding? Are we the Atlanta Braves of soccer? I mean we looked like a championship team last year. Now I don’t recognize most of the players this year. Are we gonna **** this year and have it be a waste of time watching. Boy I hope not. Braves, Hawks, Falcons. Please tell me we’re not watching another Atlanta team do the same old song and dance!

Comments

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

They should probably still be one of the best teams in MLS. Pro soccer in the United States is completely different from NBA/MLB/NFL. It still, and will likely forever take a back seat to the big pro soccer leagues in Europe, Mexico, and South America. It's not the "The Guy" sport like the big 3 in the United States.

Should note that I don't know much at all about who left outside of 1 important guy (whose name is escaping me right now). Just know a fair bit about what they try to do, and it's the best you can do in MLS. The teams that know what they're doing look to acquire young talented soccer players that haven't fully broken through yet, they play for them, hopefully do well and grow and develop for them, and then if they want to play in a big foreign league like La Liga, they're not stopped. In fact, they're encouraged to go and helped, and I remember with Miguel Almiron, it was known for months that he was going to get transferred over to one of those leagues, but Atlanta United spent a while working on it to get a good price.

Edit: Well I just found out that it's 2, and there's 3 others that have left that are familiar to me, but I still stand by this not being that surprising to me and with Josef around I still stand by it should be a good team. MLS isn't a sport of importance in the US although I try to watch it at times. I guess the Braves still irk people as well, which I don't understand since the rebuild worked and not paying some of the guys that are gone has worked out.

• BiggDawgg63BiggDawgg63 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m just ready to have a team that’s always in the hunt for a championship. Last year was almost perfect if they had won the MLS championship it would have been. Guess I’m just greedy.

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

It's gonna be a long year.

I hate FDB (the new coach they got last year)

He has used this offseason to continue his overhaul an stray farther away from the identity & philosophy that attracted so much top talent and lead to so much success and rapid growth .

ATL looks like they are taking profits and sitting this season on the sidelines.

I would be surprised if we make the play offs.

Josef Martinez will probably be fed up and want out by the Summer Transfer Window.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

Not sure about FDB personally myself (as I do remember being bored at times with him as the coach last year), but that doesn't stop that the best way to play the game in MLS is just not going to bring in guys that stick around forever to be iconic like a Chipper Jones was in the past for the Braves and probably never is going to be. Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, etc are likely to forever take a priority in the world of soccer.

Best way to do it outside of maybe a player here or there is going to be to go after your young and talented soccer players through the DP market that maybe haven't broken through, bring them in to play with you, hopefully they can grow and develop and have fun in the few years you have them, and then if they want to move on to bigger leagues, help to facilitate it and start the process over again. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's almost like college football, outside of maybe a player here and there (Josef is the man here for now). That's the way to treat it.

From what I know, the starting lineup should still be strong, and as one key hopefully Pity Martinez can continue to get more comfortable and plays well/has fun.

Don’t we have J. Martinez signed for 3 or 4 years. I streamed the match last night and one guy for the other team got a red card and the coaches talked and decided to keep playing 11 on 11 so there pretty laid back this time of year because the matches don’t count now. About 75th min they emptied the benches and there were a lot of home grown 17 to19 year old kids that came in. Now I like seeing that we’re building a farm system like the Braves have, I just hope we use it better. The first match is coming up soon and and I’m kind of conflicted about it, I like seeing them win but if we do we play more than the regular MLS team’s. Do we need more playing time or rest? Like I said I’m new to it all. You know we won two championships last year and two trophy’s for the trophy room and kind of took the sting out of losing the MLS. Sorry for rambling on, I’m just ready for the season to start Oh yeah and I’m still Pi$$ed that I still can’t get fox sports south or east on dish network.

• Howie3bHowie3b Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

What is soccer?

I say stuff like that and I get VD’s. I guess I can take a joke unlike some people, not saying you. In fact I’m gonna prove it and give you a vote up.

I am a homer if Georgia has a team I’m all in. I love sports. I played in every sport we had in high school. If we had soccer team back then I’m sure I would have played. If you could have knocked the crap out of someone in band I probably would have played flute. 🤪🤪

• Howie3bHowie3b Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

I quit commenting on anything on here. Still like to see what’s going on with recruiting though. Not a fan of the sensitive ones on this site. They just fall in line with today’s soft culture. Had to comment on this though. A soccer thread is kinda typical. Thx for the UV. Haha.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I went to a small school that didn't have a football team, so all the athletes played soccer in the fall, basketball in winter, and baseball in the spring. I loved all three with equal passion. Soccer will continue to grow in the U.S. as more folks learn the game. There's a reason it's the most popular sport in the world.

I had my heart broken twice when we lost not one but 2 Hockey teams. My step father is from N.Y so he and my brother are big fans. And I miss out. Like I said I got to have a home team to pull for. My Brother is 20 years younger than I. I’m September 1st he’s August 30th. My mom missed it by 2 days. 20 year’s apart but we’re as close as the 2 day’s difference. Hey Howie3b don’t let the softies run you off say what you feel like saying, I do.

Uncle Arther is cracking the whip on the front office boys. I think he wants 3 championships this year. So do I.

• armeckarmeck Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

It seems like FDB is putting together a roster for his scheme instead of the quick attack style that Tata built. I hate that all the familiar faces are leaving, but I'm not too worried - it's a different team, but by all accounts so far still a good team. I saw somewhere that we are about 3rd best chance of winning the cup so we'll see.

Should have brought somebody in that would keep same style that brought us so much success and excitement on the pitch. Why fix what isn’t broken. FDB was a bad hire and will take 4-5 years to recover from once we finally let him go.

We had lightning in a bottle and instead of holding onto it we gave it away for a pack of gum

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FDB will play a much different style than last year and certainly different than Tata. FDB tried to implement it at the beginning of 2019 season, it was a disaster and was scrapped after player complaints. Team went on a run, won Campeones Cup, and U.S. Open Cup. Should have won MLS again. Those players are now gone. Instead of high pressing immediately after a ball is turned over, the team will now drop back into shape and press after the defense is set. It will be much less exciting than the wide open style that Tata implemented. With the current roster of players including much needed speed on the wing, it can be very successful. The natives were restless when FDB tried to implement this style last year. It will be interesting to see the reaction this year because it is not as exciting to watch. Will it be tolerated if success follows the new scheme?

WOW! What happened to giving someone a chance?

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stinks Tata left so soon, great coach and tactics. Plus that style of play really helps non-soccer fans convert, as it's a much higher paced and scoring affair. I knew the players would be leaving, as better opportunities will arise for those having success... The front office knows how to find the players and they're willing to spend to get players as well, so they should always have one of the best MLS rosters.

MAKE ATL UNITED GREAT AGAIN!!!

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the composition of this year’s team. I think that they will be very good but not as exciting. Better on defense. Not as high scoring. Not as fast paced. FBD was a defender so it is natural that he is going to build it from the back.

I don’t care how dull they are. A few shiny trophy’s and they’ll look like Diamonds.