Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

1917 Was Robbed!!!

Comments

• SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was playing catch up on this thread and my first thought was, "boy, that escalated quickly."

I would have been fine with a director win for Mendes and Picture for Parasite. Giving both to Parasite made me feel awful for Mendes.

That being said, I can't agree with the "robbery" part. The only true robbery since I've been watching is Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare in F'n Love. At least Parasite is good. Shakespeare in Love is a glorified date movie and I honestly hated it.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with you on Shakespeare in Love.

I guess I'm disappointed with the Best Picture award most every year. If I made my own list of top films for the past 10 years it might match up with the Best Picture winner only 2-3 times.

I was shocked that First Man was not even nominated last year. I thought it was better than the eight films that were considered. I didn't love Green Book, the winner.

I couldn't believe they chose to recognize The Shape of Water in 2017 and Moonlight in 2016. I found the former unintentionally funny and the latter unwatchable.

My picks for the last four years would have been 1917, First Man, Dunkirk, and Arrival.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great thread! I love discussing movies with folks and I'm sure that the forum members can keep politics out of it so the thread doesn't get shut down. To go way off year, have you ever seen Reds from 1982? Won some Oscars, but was beaten out for best film by Chariots of Fire. My sisters are watching every Oscars best Film starting from the beginning. I think Reds should be included along with a few others. My favorite Best Picture to date is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I freaking love that movie!

I loved Dunkirk as I love all Nolan movies. The weaving of those three stories was artwork. I told my buddy and his wife to see it and they fell asleep. They still bring up how much they hated it.

I refuse to watch Water. I still think it's a joke that that won. Your list is pretty spot on.

• RabidawgRabidawg Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2020

How was the remake of Midway? I had surgery in December and by the time I could go, it was gone. It must have been a disappointment as I've not heard much.

1917 was very good but SPOILER ALERT

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wasn’t a fan of Dunkirk because of the crazy timeline in the movie. I guess I’m not intelligent enough to have appreciated it.

Two great movies out for rent now: Searching for Sugarman and Sing Street.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Midway was excellent. I’m a WWII bug and have studied a lot on the Pacific war. The movie does a good job of telling the true sequence of events and the effects were awesome.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dunkirk was a big disappointment. Such an awesome subject that most people have no idea about. Could have been another epic war movie...but once again they chose to dramatically focus on just a couple of guys and largely ignored the larger picture of the Dunkirk evacuation. It failed to capture the true magnitude, desperation and gravity of the situation.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Which one? I enjoyed them all. But the original is pure gold to me.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven't watched the Academy Awards in 4 years and it's highly unlikely I ever will again. I'm not the least bit interested in watching Hollywood repeatedly pat themselves on the back. How many awards do they really need? Let me know when ABC televises the International IT Awards.

• TThisDawggTThisDawgg Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just finished watching 1917. Thought it was a great film. Did it portray the horror that was WWI? No, but then again that wouldn't make for a great film.JMO. Highly recommended watch. Great acting. Great story

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know, I know... I just miss the wild west days of old sometimes. This isn't the only message board I visit that's trying to enforce what's ok to talk about and what isn't. In fact, it seems to be the norm now.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was an original member of the DawgVent, way back in the 90's, long before Rivals bought it. I also had a heavy presence on the original BeeHive, raising h*ll with the Nerds. Those were the good old days when these social media sites were run off of some guy's basement server.

• BeefDawgBeefDawg Posts: 115 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2020

What’s funny is I didn’t even make a political statement. I merely chastised Hollywood elites for being hypocrites by constantly lecturing us at these award shows while they don’t live or abide by their own words.

And then certain persons here who happen to align politically with said Hollywood hypocrites got “offended by association/proxy”, and THEY made it about politics.

I think we should be able to trash Hollywood elites all we want in a topic like this without these certain persons hijacking and ruining the threads because they wrongly project their butthurt.

I did nothing against the rules here.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,038 mod

Why don't you keep it on topic and discuss movies like the OP wanted.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The first will always be my favorite, only because of Robin Williams, but I was surprised at how much I liked the second movie. I usually can't stand Jack Black in a movie and he was really good in the second Jumanji movie.

I respect your opinion, but disagree with your assessment. A war movie can still be great in a concentrated area. It didn't have to be grand or tell "the whole story" to be powerful. Also, with Dunkirk, the movie making itself was a lot of the enjoyment. The weaving of three different time frames into one seamless story was amazing. Add in incredible cinematography and you've got a great movie IMO.