Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

1917 Was Robbed!!!

Comments

• BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How did you watch it? What service did you use.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who are you addressing Barker? If me, I saw 1917 at the theater. And much like Dunkirk, it's a movie that absolutely should be seen on the big screen. IMAX/surround sound if possible.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Also the story was the citizens sailing their personal boats to pick their boys up

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. Walking thru the parking lot after the movie, I told My wife it was ok but didn’t really wow me.

Since it’s been brought up , I thought That Saving Private Ryan was much better.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SPR is the gold standard. Perfect combo of combat chaos, individual character development and cinematic beauty.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Saving Private Ryan has an amazing beginning, but after that it goes downhill. Private Ryan is a tùrd who doesn’t need saving. William Goldman (Butch Cassidy, princess bride) has one of the all time take downs of this movie. I can never see it the same again

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Private Ryan went to Florida? Why did we bother to save him?!?!

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I watch everything with subtitles on. Sometimes I'll turn off for sports because it'll cover too much of the screen. But 100% of shows and movies with use subtitles

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I watched both. I really enjoyed 1917, but I thought it was a little cliche (espc. the mother in the basement). My favorite scene was the plane crash and the aftermath.

Parasite blew me away. The second half of the movie is so tense, and the shot in the rain before the flood is amazing.

I think these two were both a tier above the rest of the nominees, but ultimately I think they made the right call with Parasite

edited February 2020

Yeah- I've tried to leave it alone because of the political argument that flared up, but part of my original point was that Parasite never should have been considered for best picture. This is the first time a foreign-language film has won the award in the history of the Academy. And for good reason- because there is already a separate category for best foreign language film.

The Ministry of Culture and Information in Daejong does not consider English language films for Korea's best picture award. The Deutscher Filmpreis does not consider English language films for Germany's best picture award. The Grande Premio do Cinema does not consider English language films for Brazil's best picture award.

Giving this year's best picture award to Parasite makes no sense. It's irrational, unfair to the other nominees, and wrong. (I believe it was also overtly political, but we can leave that part out of the discussion, since it's clearly divisive and largely irrelevant to the main point.)

If you're just comparing the relative merits of the two films then plenty of people can reasonably disagree as to which one is better. They're both good films. But if Bong wanted to win an award for best picture (as opposed to best foreign language film), he could have made an English language film using western production companies, actors, and crew, just as he did previously with Snowpiercer.

Frankly, I think he was both shocked and confused that he won the main award, and rightly so.

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

Even when another poster points out where you started the political whining, you still come in on your high horse acting aggrieved. Yep, definitely a snowflake.

As was said numerous times in this thread, drop it. And stop the passive aggressive retaliations.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

If other countries considered English language films for best picture, they would always win. That's because the US and Britain dominate the world film industry and make objectively better films most of the time. I am actually curious what the political statement was. Can you PM what it is? I can't figure it out

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020
  • RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Platoon. Maybe Full Metal Jacket since it shows the before, during, and after of war.

• Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

I just saw Parasite..I think my expectations were a little high after the acclaim but I can't help but feeling a little blase about it.

Parts of it feel like a Saturday morning cartoon and other parts of it feel like a survival horror.

Good but not quite worth the hype in my opinion, at least not initially.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've added it to my Netflix que. I like movies that are different but still entertaining. And I have no problem with subtitle movies. I like to read so it doesn't bother me.

And I have screaming kids, so the majority of everything I watch has subtitles on it anyways.

Gosh, I can think of a long list of factors that likely came into play, but I'm not sure there's any value in discussing them, even offline. I'm sure there's nothing I could say that you would find edifying.

Wanna talk about religion instead? 😁

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm ok with a foreign film winning Best Picture if it was released in the US. Other foreign films that were nominated recently for Best Picture but didn't win were Roma, Amour, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and Life is Beautiful to name a few. I think the Oscar is intended for the Best Picture worldwide whereas the Korean Best Picture is for Korea. Maybe the Oscars should have a Best American or English Language Picture catagory in addition to foreign film and a Best Picture could be overall?

I actually thought Life is Beautiful had won Best Picture until I looked it up and saw that it had only been nominated. That is a great film.

On a side note- The year that the totally deserving Godfather II won BP, The Shining wasn't nominated for anything which I think is criminal.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

I mentioned "Gravity" to a couple, and they said it was so boring. I just don't even...

I liked "Dunkirk" as well. The first time I saw "Interstellar", I think I was mentally exhausted, but the second time I watched it I absolutely loved it. The 4K is the one to get of both of those!

I can't wait to see "1917" in 4K. I saw it in Dolby Cinema first, and then a typical AMC theater and the Dolby Cinema was truly a much better experience.