Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Chip Kelly to UF appears all but a done deal

Comments

• Options
    Dawg19Dawg19 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    I think the guy is a good coach and has a weird personality. But so does/did Urban Meyer.

One thing that I do KNOW, is that the guy is also a liar and cheater. Even the pathetic, toothless NCAA caught and punished him as such. Congratulations, Florida.

I think he could be a good hire for florida, but my favorite part about the whole thing is that when this first started to develop, Florida put out a release or something that they were heavily vetting him. You only do that when you know the guy is a questionable person. They want to make it seem like they actually care about his past when we all know they don't.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg19 they vetted him because they wanted to make sure the issues from NCAA had passed its time. I think he'll help SEC East. SC and TENN will probably be a 8 to 9 win team, FLA a 9 to 10 win team, and UGA can reign supreme (evil laugh)

• Options
    Dawg14Dawg14 Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It'll be interesting for sure. On one hand he should be able to recruit all the fast players he wants, but I remember when he went to the eagles he restricted the diet of all his players. That may have worked when he was in Oregon, but you start telling southern boys they can't eat mac n cheese, fried chicken or at Waffle House then bye felicia. I know when I was in college I was eating this every week.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I remember correctly he didn't have such a great record against SEC teams. His offense back then was revolutionary...now almost everyone is running it. Not sure he is bringing anything new to the table these days.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2017

Steve Spurrier said yesterday that the Gators will have “an excellent coach here in 3-4 weeks... The coach is with his team now. The coach we’re going to hire is probably, I would almost 100 percent say, is coaching his team today, this weekend, and through the end of the season, and maybe through the bowl game.”
    Spurrier is pretty confident that Florida is hiring an active coach, i.e. not Chip Kelly (no relation).

• Options
    JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:
    Steve Spurrier said yesterday that the Gators will have “an excellent coach here in 3-4 weeks... The coach is with his team now. The coach we’re going to hire is probably, I would almost 100 percent say, is coaching his team today, this weekend, and through the end of the season, and maybe through the bowl game.”
    Spurrier is pretty confident that Florida is hiring an active coach, i.e. not Chip Kelly (no relation).

Spurrier might be wrong. I think it would be advantageous for Florida to hire someone now. The reason is because of the early signing period on Dec. 20th. If they wait till after bowl season, recruiting will be over and they will be screwed. I imagine this is at the forefront of their decision and probably the reason Kelly looks great to them.

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Missing a ton in recruiting with every week that passes without a HC AND his STAFF. AC's for UF and UTjr will be as interesting as the hc hires imo.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Heck our class might be complete after early signing period. Then what is a team like Florida or Tennessee gonna do? This chaos of coaching changes certainly bodes well for continued dominance

• Options
    HunkerDown10HunkerDown10 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

Something tells me that Justin Fields to Georgia is no longer a done deal with Chip Kelly on board at Florida...

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Chip Kelly will do a fine job at Florida if that is who they hire. Players love to play in that offensive system and know they are getting the football and playing fast. Not saying I'm scared but look at what he did in his run at Oregon and its pretty impressive.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@HunkerDown10 said:
    Something tells me that Justin Fields to Georgia is no longer a done deal with Chip Kelly on board at Florida...

Eh have a hard time he will flip this late in the game

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@Kasey said:

@HunkerDown10 said:

Eh have a hard time he will flip this late in the game

Another 1 post wonder. No way he's going to team that will be rebuilding when he's got one on the verge of winning a NC.

Trolls will be trolls...

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@HunkerDown10 said:

Not a good first post. Read back on some previous threads.

• Options
    HerschelismyHeroHerschelismyHero Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I got hammered and DV’d terribly when I originally posted this, but I just don’t see Kelly being a good fit in the SEC. Personally, I’d love to see him get the UF HC job.

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Chip Kelly can't recruit!
    Kelly’s former offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich once said that his former boss didn’t necessarily hate recruiting, but just "strongly disliked" it. (Helfrich: “I’m not sure if he hated recruiting…dislike, a strong dislike.”)

Compare and contrast to CKS, who realizes recruiting is where it all begins, and doesn't b!tch about it like the primadonna Kelly does.

Kelly was pretty average in recruiting at Oregon. Here's how his classes ranked (note: in 2007 and 2008 he was Oregon’s offensive coordinator):
    2007: 14
    2008: 34
    2009: 30
    2010: 12
    2011: 12
    2012: 14

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@amjadawgs said:
    I got hammered and DV’d terribly when I originally posted this, but I just don’t see Kelly being a good fit in the SEC. Personally, I’d love to see him get the UF HC job.

Agreed. It would be interesting for the couple of years we have before the Florida fan base runs him off.

• Options
    DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Chip goes to Florida, they won't be successful at all. He's a bad hire for them. The schemes and playbooks and everything else won't fit the style of offense that Florida has been running to be somewhat decent.