Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Covid-19

Comments

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How come we never heard about Covid-17 or Covid- 18?

• LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Im sure there are a number of actuarial mathematicians that are calculating lives versus the greater economic good (in relation to quarantines). I’m glad I don’t have to be the one to make that call, or the one who has to message that decision to the masses.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This might be the saddest thread I've read on here. The amount of misinformation and callousness is concerning.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Those are legitimate concerns you have there Tex. Could shutting down the world cause more harm than if we just let the virus run it's coarse? The Asian countries appear to be on the downhill slope of their run so you'd think they have a reasonable amount of data to work with. I almost wish we all could just get it over with. Like a Chicken Pox party when we were kids. I've pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll likely get it eventually. Especially where I work. I just hope it's mild and expect it likely will be since I don't have the co-morbidities associated with the most severe cases.

Yeah for most places we have passed containment and need to move to mitigation. It's likely the same amount of people will be infected but we need to delay as many cases as possible to prevent our healthcare system from being overburdened.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I assure you that I don't want to come across as callous. And I apologize if it seems I am.

But honestly.......how many lives will be lost due to an economic collapse.....however short it is.

And quarantining communities for a couple of weeks will cause significant economic issues.

I'm certainly concerned with the virus.....but equally, if not more, concerned about the fall out.

I'm just ready for football.

People need to let go of the idea this will naturally abate in the warmer months. Pandemics rarely behave this way since no one has immunity to new viruses. It won't need the added advantage of cool, dry air and less UV exposure to thrive. We have no data to suggest its closest relative, SARS-COV-1 is a seasonal virus and we have strong evidence that its 2nd closest relative, MERS, is definitely a non-seasonal virus that thrives in hot regions. Australia is also in the middle of summer and is dealing with COVID-19 cases.

We have gutted our ability to respond to these types of outbreaks. The situation in the US has been handled incredibly poorly both in the short term and the long term. We should have been investing in public health infrastructure to prepare for this type of situation to protect people and the economy. At this point mitigating spread IS what's best for the economy. If we allow it to go unchecked things will just get worse all around.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's a little misleading. The two countries that have tested the most had roughly a 2-3 month headstart in terms of initial cases and testing. Give it a couple weeks and that graph will look very different.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is a good Joe Rogan podcast with Michael Osterholm, an infectious disease expert, about coronavirus if ya got the time...

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes. Millions are not going to die as many have suggested. It's already on the downslide in China...the most populace nation on Earth with a questionable health care system. Only a few thousand deaths...not to be callous, but that is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Is it serious? Absolutely. Should it be causing world-wide panic and upheaval? Absolutely no.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He hasn’t brought any facts, or knowledge to this discussion. He’s brought “ostrich” insults and “opinions” that were prepared by medical professionals whose job involved building worst case scenario models intended to influence public funding.

He posts a source saying 1 in 10 require the ICU and then in the next post says it has infected far more people than realized because we aren’t testing enough people. If true we aren’t testing enough people, then that sort of blows the fact about 1 in 10 completely out of the water.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

One night of tornadoes in Tennessee still has a higher death toll than Covid 19 in the entire US.

As far as we know....

Why did Ed Aschoff die? Pneumonia caused by an underlying respiratory illness. Has his real cause of death ever been pin pointed? Turns out he had stage 4 non-hodgkins, but he could have been infected with a virus at the same time.

This discussion has been closed.