Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Covid-19

Comments

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

Are you asking me if being around a large group of breathing humans will make it more likely you catch a disease that is spread through breathing?

Sure, live your life. Truly, you don't owe anything more to the world. Nobody should blame you for that.

The picture you posted is still a bunch of nonsense.

Using two examples of people who aren't highly symptomatic doesn't make any sense. There are 5,395 people I could have asked about their symptoms, but they're a little preoccupied.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trump declared a state of emergency. Thoughts? Criticisms? Conspiracy Theories you'd like to push?

• UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Did he just say no interest on federal student loans until further notice? What a pleasant surprise. Hearing lots of other good stuff like drive through testing and up to $50bn to help combat the spread.

Wow look at the market, Wall Street really likes this too!

These are good measures. They will help a lot of people. Allocating resources for aid and providing testing are two of the best things that can be done at this point.

That said, when you're talking about a virus that doubles its cases every three days (could be wrong, think I'm right), any time gone to waste will cost lives. Bungling an address to the nation, blocking access for health experts to critical meetings, and waiting weeks to months to address the pressing issue of available testing kits - these are missteps in leadership.

I think Trump receives too much blame for how his administration has handled the coronavirus outbreak so far; I think his detractors want to use it to punish him for things they disagree with that he has done in the past, but that isn't fair. He should get credit for blocking travel from China and for taking steps now to address the issues at hand, but he also deserves criticism for the slow response, despite loud and obvious warnings from overseas.

Life is strange right now, but perhaps the best is around the corner.

eh the china travel ban came too late. The disease was already here when it was enacted. Italy was the first country to ban travel from china and look at where they are. The European ban also doesn't make much sense. The majority of cases are coming from community transmission at this point and very few from Europe. Bottom line, this could have been contained if we were prepared, but a series of missteps from the trump admin prevented that.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think a state of emergency is a good step in the right direction. I also think having executives from companies like Walmart and Walgreen partake in the announcement was very helpful. I applaud Trump for that. I feel that today is the first day I have seen good and necessary presidential leadership on the Corona virus and I am grateful to see the steps being taken today.

At the same, time, I am angry because of the unhelpful things Trump has done and said to date. In the precious early period where actions make more of a difference, Trump and the Fox echo chamber said Corona virus was no big deal, it will go away, that it's just a Democratic hoax and it is a foreign problem after the time that we were having American cases all over the country and we needed to start focusing on early identification, containment and isolation within our borders .

Personally frustrating was that Trump said on March 7th, "Anyone who wants a test can get one." That was not true on March 7th and it is not true today. Unfortunately, my wife was at the Marriott hotel in Boston where the Biogen conference took place on February 26th. She stayed there from Feb 24th to Feb 27th and 70 Corona cases, which is most of the Massachusetts cases originated from this conference. My wife found this out about the hotel last night in the news and has been trying to get a test as she was exposed. She is being told by her doctor that no test is available unless she is showing symptoms because there are not enough tests. But, she is unfortunately a likely carrier as is everyone who was at that hotel on February 26th as 70 cases originated from that hotel on that day due to community transmission. The research shows that people can be asymptomatic, but carry the Corona virus and spread it. And, the incubation period for those who do show symptoms can be 14-28 days before showing symptoms and during this incubation period, Corona virus can be transmitted. Trump told us anyone can get a test who wants it, but my wife can't get the test. My wife has asked for the test and been denied. Worse, my daughter has a deep cough and stayed home from school today. I'm not an alarmist and even if my wife or daughter has it, we are young enough that we will be fine. But, being lied to about testing doesn't help us as a nation to address the issue.

Please note, that my criticism is not a left or right issue. Denial and false information from anywhere on any subject hurts our ability to address serious issues. If any liberal lies on an issue or presents false information, I will be right there standing next to any conservative in condemning it. If a conservative leader does something right and good, I will be right there with any conservative praising it (like at the top of this post). I just don't understand why if I say the president denied the seriousness of Corona virus for too long and lied about tests and I present personal evidence about my wife not being able to get the test that I will get downvoted by folks because I'm stating something they don't want to hear and criticizing someone who is not allowed to be criticized The truth always needs to be heard, whether we like it or not. That is a two way street.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Went to the store today and yep......the toilet paper shelves were completely empty. Wonder if the WH has any I can borrow until the stores restock.....

edited March 2020

Trump should have declared a National State of Mild Seasonal Flu

@CaliforniaDawg Really well put, this could’ve been handled much better and it was definitely made more difficult than it had to be. I’m just relieved that at least now it’s finally being taken seriously by those in charge

The CDC projections on COVID-19 from Feb 28th just got reported. If the situation was handled the same way moving forward on that day they projected 160-214 million infections, 2-21 million hospitalizations, and 200,000 to 1.7 million deaths. Luckily, these numbers don't account for interventions that are now planned such as mass testing, telecommuting, closing schools, and banning mass gatherings. Crazy to think people were advocating against those actions.

I’m very curious as to whether those who were, as recently as yesterday, advocating against those actions will stop by this thread for yet another visit. More doubling down? Owning up to it? Radio silence? To where will the goalposts be moved today?

The marching orders have changed now that trump is being more serious. You'll see his supporters and fox do a 180 now.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

Pretty big spread in numbers......being THE CDC you would think they could narrow it down a bit lmao at THE CDC

This discussion has been closed.