Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Best Films of the Past 20 Years

1235»

Comments

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Forgot about Kingdom of Heaven in 2005. Such a well done Crusades-era movie, especially the extended version that makes some of Eva Green's story make much more sense.

And it was loosely based on a true story. Very, very, very loosely, but still. The guy did exist and they did get some of the details correct.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I enjoyed that movie as well. And Eva Green is too beautiful for words.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watched it recently, really good and the John Wick series is very cool

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Been meaning to watch hell or high water, life just gets in the way sometimes.

However, if you liked that one, the writer had a new one recently (somewhat?) called Wind River that I found fantastic

• HouzdawgHouzdawg Posts: 340 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

“Fury”, “Anglish only”. My favorite Pitt movie! close second is “inglorious bastards”

I thought they were both good, but I liked Wind River much more than Hell or High Water. May have been a matter of expectations. (None for the former, so it was a pleasant surprise, but pretty high for the latter, which it didn't live up to.)

• WebslingrWebslingr Posts: 184 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thanx much to the OP and contributors....found a few undiscovered gems:)

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Baby Driver is a must see

Ok. Fourth and final installment is here, covering the years 2000-2004. Really appreciate all the contributors to the thread. I think before I close it out next week I'll try to pull together everyone's recommendations and post a comprehensive list of the top 100 films (or so) of the past twenty years. Maybe folks can use it as a reference to find and watch the ones they might have missed. Especially now, with extra time on our hands.

-------

Best Picture: Million Dollar Baby

Top grossing film: Shrek 2

My favorite: Sideways

Honorable mention: The Aviator, Finding Neverland, Ray, The Passion of the Christ, Kill Bill- Vol. 2, Anchorman, Napoleon Dynamite, Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle

Comments: Close call for favorite between Sideways and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I've watched the former countless times because it's so true and real and... funny. In contrast, it's hard for me to watch the latter because it's so true and real and... painful. Both are beautiful films- written, directed, acted.

-------

Best Picture: Lord of the Rings- Return of the King

Top grossing film: Finding Nemo

My favorite: Lost in Translation

Honorable mention: Mystic River, Elf, Kill Bill- Vol 1, Big Fish, Old School

Comments: This is the rare occasion where the top grossing film (Nemo) was also arguably the best film of the year. But I'll give my vote to Sofia Coppola's masterpiece, starring a perfectly cast Bill Murray & Scarlett Johansson in the lead roles.

-------

Best Picture: Chicago

Top grossing film: Spider-Man

My favorite: The Bourne Identity

Honorable mention: LOTR- Two Towers, The Pianist, Gangs of New York, Catch Me If You Can, 28 Days Later, Minority Report, Insomnia, Adaptation, Laurel Canyon

Comments: Gangs is a personal favorite largely because of the individual performance of Daniel Day Lewis, but I chose Bourne because it represents the very best of the "action hero" genre of the past two decades, over any Bond film, the Mission Impossible series, or anything else.

-------

Best Picture: A Beautiful Mind

Top grossing film: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

My favorite: Memento

Honorable mention: LOTR- Fellowship of the Ring, Moulin Rouge, Shrek, Black Hawk Down, The Others, The Royal Tenenbaums, Super Troopers, Serendipity

Comments: Memento was Christopher Nolan's first major film release. If you enjoyed Insomnia, The Prestige, Inception, Interstellar, Dunkirk, or any of the (Christian Bale) Batman films, it's worth watching this to catch a glimpse of the greatness that lay ahead.

-------

Best Picture: Gladiator

Top grossing film: How the Grinch Stole Christmas

My favorite: Almost Famous

Honorable mention: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Traffic, Cast Away, X-Men, O Brother Where Art Thou, Remember the Titans, The Perfect Storm, Wonder Boys

Comments: Almost Famous is basically Cameron Crowe's autobiography, set to good music, with great performances from an interesting mix of actors, including Billy Crudup, Frances McDormand, Kate Hudson, Jason Lee, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. It's poignant, funny, and kind of perfect.

-------

Ok. What did I miss???

edited March 2020

I just looked back through the thread, and it's listed as one of my top three films of 2017, along with Dunkirk and Molly's Game.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watching Hell or High Water again. Love it.

I'm through those small towns often during hunting season.

Really like how they use the actual small towns in the movie.

Errors and Omissions:

Kudos to @Ugadawg1993 for bringing up Contagion (2011) on another thread. It made me realize there were some worthy films I failed to mention in my initial posts. So here's a list of additional "honorable mentions," some of which have also been noted by others in this thread.

Listed from the most recent to the oldest, dating back to 2000. Roughly half of these are comedies- not necessarily "great" films- but worth watching.

Yesterday, Atomic Blonde, American Made, Wind River, The Revenant, The Accountant, Interstellar, Fury, Bridesmaids, Crazy **** Love, Limitless, Contagion, Get Him to the Greek, Couples Retreat, Adventureland, Superbad, The Interpreter, Munich, Along Came Polly, Friday Night Lights, Bruce Almighty, Meet the Parents.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jeff- thanks for the nice words and for the suggestion. I just got home from my 16 hour road trip. Will give this some thought when my brain function returns.

I also welcome input from everyone else on this thread.

edited March 2020

Taking advantage of the down time, I cobbled together a list all of the films mentioned on this thread. Would you believe the number is well over 200?!?

So, to wrap things up, I've edited the complete list down to 100 films. If one of your personal favorites didn't make the cut, please forgive me. It's hard to eliminate half the films without stepping on some toes.

For the record, I consulted Rotten Tomatoes' ratings for final cuts and films I had not seen, to determine which ones were most worthy of inclusion. (An imperfect process, but better than being arbitrary.)

Naturally you can find any number of such lists online, but this one is ours, the official DawgNation Top 100 Films of the Past 20 Years. Thank you all for your contributions.

EDIT: I meant to clarify- this final post is not for the purpose of further debate. It's just to collect the films in a single place so folks can re-visit the thread whenever they're looking for a movie to watch and want to find one they haven't seen before.

-------

28 Days Later

3:10 to Yuma

A Quiet Place

A Star is Born

Adaptation

Adventureland

Almost Famous

American Hustle

An Education

Argo

Arrival

Baby Driver

Before Midnight

Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead

Birdman

Borat

Bridesmaids

Bridge of Spies

Captain Phillips

Cast Away

Catch Me If You Can

Chef

Contagion

Crazy Heart

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Django Unchained

Donnie Darko

Drive

Dunkirk

Edge of Tomorrow

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Ex Machina

Finding Nemo

First Man

Ford vs. Ferrari

Foxcatcher

Gone Baby Gone

Gone Girl

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2

Hacksaw Ridge

Hell or High Water

In Bruges

Inception

Inglourious Basterds

Insomnia

Iron Man

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 & 2

Knives Out

Kung Fu Panda

Lost in Translation

Manchester by the Sea

Margin Call

Memento

Michael Clayton

Million Dollar Baby

Minority Report

Molly’s Game

Moneyball

Mystic River

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Pan’s Labyrinth

Parasite

Philomena

Rush

Searching for Sugar Man

Shrek 1 & 2

Sideways

Silver Linings Playbook

Slumdog Millionaire

Spider-Man (2002) & Reboot (2017-19)

Spotlight

The Artist

The Avengers Series (Marvel)

The Batman/Dark Knight Trilogy

The Big Short

The Bourne Trilogy

The Departed

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Hurt Locker

The Imitation Game

The King’s Speech

The Lives of Others

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

The Martian

The Master

The Pianist

The Queen

The Social Network

The Trip

The Wrestler

There Will Be Blood

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Traffic

United 93

Up

Up in the Air

Whiplash

Wind River

Zero Dark Thirty

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mr. Bean's Holiday is a fantastic movie.