Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What Makes This Song Great

Comments

• carnivorecarnivore Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

First of Beato's breakdowns I ever saw was Ep 23, "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins. Saw them at Center Stage a couple times back in the day. Beato does a great job with his vids.

• carnivorecarnivore Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jam bands? Hampton Grease Band at Emory, circa 1969. Now that was something else. Last I saw of them, they opened for Mahavishnu Orchestra at the old Sports Center on Memorial circa 1972. Then the one-off reunion show at Variety Playhouse a few years ago. Cheese frog!

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Admittedly, I have a bit of a bias for the early

Gardening at Night, Radio Free Europe, 7 Chinese Bros., Ignoreland, and Monty Got a Raw Dean

Honorable mention: Van Halen’s “Jump,” when they played the Watt as “Big Wheel of Iron Cheese” and did nothing but covers.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love 7 Chinese Bros.

I prefer the early years when Stipe wasn't a confident vocalist. I liked the garbled inflections, fade aways and intelligible vocals.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Read this post when it first came out. Looked very interesting.

I'm not a musician but I'm a huge music fan. It's a huge part of life. I enjoy many Genres as long as the music is really good.

I decided on Sunday to check out "what makes this song great" on YouTube.

I'm addicted. Literally addicted. I can't believe how talented this Beato guy is. Both as a musician and a story teller. And I love his passion.

Thanks for posting this thread casanova.....has brought me a few hours of joy.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SUPERCOOL!!! Thank you so much for this gift for all the DAWGS here!!!!

Always thought "Rosanna" by Toto was a **** song.

After Beato explained it I realize I'm an idiot

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great thread- just came across it today.

I love in his final remarks how he explains (presumably for younger viewers) that the drum track is... REAL!

All of Rick's videos are great because he is so joyful and passionate, it's contagious.

I'm glad to know there are others out there who like to geek out on this stuff.

@texdawg welcome to the club!

You're welcome. I figured people had some additional time on their hands, so Rick would be a good way of passing it and learning something to boot.

Here's one of his Top 20 list videos:

edited April 2020
  • TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So. Central Rain

Begin the Begin

The One I love

Driver 8

Losing My Religion

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

I enjoyed the guitar sound one a lot - always love people who can dig into the technical elements as to how sounds are created/recorded.

Understanding that "best singer" lists can be a bit more subjective - I thought his order of Top 20 rock singers was a mess! lol

I'd also make a distinction between frontman/woman vs best rock vocalist...as Billy Idol famously said - "Robert Plant can sing, Mick Jagger can't - do I want to go see Led Zeppelin live? No - I want to see the Rolling Stones...he can't sing but he looks great doing it".

For me - my top 5 rock vocalists (talking vocal quality/pitch/range):

• Freddie Mercury
    • Brad Delp
    • Pat Benatar (Ann Wilson is a close 2nd for female rock vocalist)
    • Chris Cornell
    • George Michael (I know people think of him as pop but his work with Queen in the 90s was remarkable IMO)

Interested to hear others' lists!

One thing I find strange or kinda funny.....not in a bad way.....is that the first song he chooses for his "what makes this song great" series is Blink 182......all the small things.

I love the song......but find it funny that he went with that song first.

Maybe I'm wrong.....but to me it shows an absolute professional that is more concerned with teaching people something new instead of being caught up on what it might look like on his resume.

A music snob or someone who is more concerned with what people think might start off with a musicians band like Steely Dan or an iconic musician like Jimmy Page......maybe work in "All the small things " around song 50.

Not Beato....first up is Blink 182.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it.. ....the dude is just really cool.

Hard for me to pick five REM songs, so here are ten - as I remember them, from my own life:

Gardening at Night (Chronic Town - 1982)

Perfect Circle (Murmur - 1983)

So. Central Rain. (Reckoning - 1984)

Driver 8 (Fables of the Reconstruction - 1985)

Begin the Begin (Life's Rich Pageant - 1986 - probably my favorite REM song - love the way it kicks from the opening lick)

It's the End of the World as We Know It (Document - 1987)

Untitled (Green - 1988)

Country Feedback (Out of Time - 1991)

Nightswimming (Automatic for the People - 1992)

What's the Frequency, Kenneth? (Monster - 1994)

Just noticed you had Begin the Begin as your favorite as well. I remember buying Life's Rich Pageant the day it was released, popping it into my car's tape deck, and hearing those opening notes. Like it was yesterday.

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Feel the same - that song grabs you from the start...Buck, Mills & Berry all hitting their stride as musicians to kick off what felt like their first album as adults (vs the rawer indie-sounding vibe of Murmurs, Reckoning & Fables). It showed up on @TNDawg71 's list too (!)...awesome song.

That rush of excitement before popping a fresh cassette in the car radio in the record store parking lot on a warm day with the windows open - inject that into my veins! My buddy/bassist from our terrible garage band skipped school to buy The Joshua Tree when the local record store opened at 10 AM...still picture that morning every time I head the opening chords of "Where The Streets Have No Name".

Chris Cornell

James Maynard Keenan

Paul Rodgers

Layne Staley

Robert Plant

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Another singer who doesn't get much love...Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy. He put out a solo record called Soul Punk where he really shows off his chops.

As you dive deeper into Rick's videos you'll find yourself saying, "Why didn't he choose this person, that band or song?" Nine times out of ten it's because of "Blocking". There are a lot of artists lawyers out there and one of their primary jobs is to search for and block guys like Rick Beato from playing or reproducing their content. Rick has a whole video on the topic. Needless to say he's not a fan of "Blocking".