Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What Can We Expect From Todd Monken's Offense?

AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited April 2020 in General

Credit @Kasey and @striker42 for this thread. 😀

Also @law_dawg35 for his discussion of bold predictions for 2020, where the issue of Todd Monken's offensive style came up.

This is meant to be a wide open discussion, giving us something to talk about and look FORWARD to for the upcoming season.

Here are some questions that I'm curious to know the answers to:

1. What kind of numbers will Jamie Newman put up, in the air and on the ground?
  2. What will each of our RB's do, on the ground and in the passing game?
  3. Who will our top WR's be, and what will their numbers looks like?
  4. Will any of the freshman WR's make an impact?
  5. What role will Blaylock play coming off injury?
  6. How about the TE's?
  7. And what about the OL? How will it differ? Both in personnel and scheme.

@texdawg and our other football experts are welcome to talk about the finer points rather than stats. I've never been a coach so I don't know exactly what distinguishes Monken's offense from Chaney/Coley or Joe Brady or Mike Leach or Andy Reid, etc.

Just to kick things off, and FWIW, I'm going to post (below) a summary of the leading rushers and receivers for each of Monken's seasons (college and pro) as an OC or a HC.

Comments

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BTW, if there's already a good Monken discussion going then feel free to bump that and the mods can dump this. As the immortal Nicholas Cage said in Moonstruck, "I ain't no freakin' monument to justice!"

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gotta say I'm definitely excited about Monkens offense. With the talent we have I think Georgia will have the potential to be scary good on offense.

I could see a few guys with over 1000 yards. Ill try not to get ahead of myself.

• Filo_BettoFilo_Betto Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not looking for a complete overhaul, just a few more first downs per half.

I liked some aspects of both Chaney's and Coley's schemes. I think many of the initial game plans we had were solid but their ability to adjust or anticipate defensive adjustments was abysmal.

If Monken's scheme can see us convert just a few more third downs per game we will be exponentially more explosive than the last two years. Kirby's philosophy depends on winning the fourth quarter and the compounding effects of winning the LoS over the first three quarters. This requires staying on the field and limiting 3 and outs. I don't think the offensive philosophy will change drastically.

Those extra set of downs during games will allow Monken to open the playbook and take more shots.

Biggest example of this was the difference btw our game against Carolina and Bama's. Bama's big plays demoralized Carolina's D and made their O one-dimensional in the second half even though Carolina played a good first half. Our inability to finish drives (not to mention the TOs) kept them in the game and eventually gave them a chance to win.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

who knows... they can’t even get a practice in

• striker42striker42 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Overall, I expect a better year than under Coley but I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. You have a new OC who is going to have his own system and the players will have to adapt to that. I also don't expect it to be as pass happy as Monken has been in the past. Smart likes a run heavy game because it reduces the number of snaps played meaning fewer chances for guys to get injured. I expect Monken will have to adapt to that. Then there's the lost time from Covid-19 to deal with.

1- I expect Newman's numbers to be good but not flashy as I still expect a run heavy offense. I think a big difference might be the deep threat. I could see Newman's better ability to stretch the field paying big dividends.

2- I expect a regression at RB this year. This isn't an insult, it's more that we've had a long stretch of super elite RBs with Gurley, Chubb, Sony, and Swift. We can't keep that up forever. I think Zeus will be the primary back as he's more the grinder. I'm hoping we see Cook used in the receiving game. I'm not sure Coley knew passing to the RB was allowed.

3- Pickens will be our best receiver by far. I could see him breaking 900 yards this year.

4- I think we'll have at least one freshman WR make an impact but I think the impact will be limited. Again, Covid-19 has unsettled things which could hurt the chances of freshman making immediate impacts.

5- I see Blaylock getting off to a slower start as he lags behind the rest due to rehab. I see him getting more playing time as the year goes on eventually playing the role of the number 2 WR.

6- I want to see the TEs in the mix more but it's not really our deepest position. I expect they'll be used more (how could they be used less?) but still not have a huge impact in the passing game.

7- We're replacing two first round draft picks. That's going to be difficult no matter what. Still, Pittman left us in good shape. I'm not sure about scheme as I've not delved that deeply into what Monken likes to do with his OL. I don't expect drastic differences right away. You gotta play up to what your personnel can do.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

1. Based on what I've read, Coach Monken likes to use the entire field, which means more throws inside the hashmarks.
    2. I'm hoping we have fewer stalled drives inside the 35. You can't beat Bama making a living off of Field Goals. Got to punch it into the end zone.
    3. Improved red zone production, particularly inside the 5 yard line.
    4. More runs by the QB, assuming Newman is the starter.
    5. Higher points per game average.
  • christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

Kirby Smart is growing (and evolving) as a head football coach. He simply has to in order to ascend to the levels he aspires to get to in winning that elusive "natty" that we all want Georgia to win. The hiring of new OC Todd Monken shows that change (for the better) it is coming. I personally can see the offenses Todd Monken had at Tampa Bay being run in Athens from the beginning, and additions to it throughout the season, as the offense learns and grows through the year. I am most excitied to see QB Jamie Newman with the keys to the bright shiny new corvette of an offense,.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm just glad we are now talking like the season is for sure going to happen. At this point, I'll take sloppy, rusty, fumbling and bumbling football because it is better than no football. My expectations for Monken are moderate. I like what he has done in the past. I think he could bring a lot to the table. He and CML seem to be a great fit. However, there is a lot of change going on and that always makes me temper my expectations. Year two under Monken is where I expect the offense to really make strides.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With an unproven freshman kicker, along with obviously being able to convert more on 3rd down will be big. But without question BECAUSE of not knowing what to expect after losing specs is what we do to be successful in the red zone. If that goes up as well as throw in some big plays where we have the potential to score even from our own territory= as good of an offense as we could possibly hope for given the distractions we've seen this year.

edited April 2020

Based on individual productivity for college players under Monken, what kind of season could our top guys be capable of? There are so many unknowns it's impossible to predict anything with certainty, but here's an educated guess.

1. Jamie Newman: 4,500 yards, 38 td's, 12 int. Monken got the same production from Brandon Weeden (OK St. 2011) and Nick Mullens (So. Miss 2015). Weeden became a 1st round draft pick, but Mullens went undrafted.
    2. George Pickens: 1,500 yards and 15 td's. Big numbers for sure, but that would be in line with the production of Rashaun Woods and Justin Blackmon, whom Monken coached at OK St. Both became 1st round picks, though neither enjoyed success in the NFL, for various reasons.
    3. Zamir White: 1,100 yards, 11 td's. As long as he stays healthy this seems like a safe bet. Georgia's lead RB has averaged 1,185 yds in the CKS era. Monken's lead RB's have averaged 965 yds, but that includes a few seasons with marginal players on weak teams. If everything goes right, White could actually put up something like 1,400 yards and 18 td's. Those are the kinds of numbers Monken got out of Tatum Bell, Joseph Randle, Vernand Morency, and Ito Smith.

There are some other questions I'm just as interested in. What might Newman's rush numbers be? How does the TE fit in? What about the rest of our RB's and WR's? From a numbers standpoint, that's a deeper dive that I'll try to come back to later.

With or without projections, I'm curious to know everyone else's thoughts.

• dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know we are not going to be an Air Raid team, but it is expected that we will use those concept. In the Air Raid there is no tight end. It will be interesting to see how are TE are used. I do not expect to see them blocking very much. Part of the Air Raid is having allbreceivers run routes to keep Db's busy, with the QB having the option to throw to any receiver if they are open or have a numbers advantage when the ball is snapped.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not fluent in Air Raid offensive design, so who takes care of OLB's when they crowd the LOS? That was typically Charlie Woerner's blocking responsibility.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

Have a hard time seeing Newman with that many passing yds. Would be 300/game over 15 game schedule. Did you mean 4500 total yds (I don't think the post specified)? I just don't see Newman playing enough snaps to throw that much. Hopefully there will be multiple games where the backups are playing the last 1 - 1.5 qtrs.

I think it's also worth noting that while Monken has a clear track record of success on offense it wasn't done against SEC defenses. The quality of defense of the opposition may hold the totals down a little. Love the dig into the numbers, though!

Great points. I thought about lowering all of my numbers to factor in SEC defenses. Then I thought about what Burrow did last year.

I'm not saying Newman is on Burrow's level. Or that we can replicate LSU's offensive production. My projections actually reflect those realities.

Burrow: 5,671/60/6

Newman: 4,500/38/12

• dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

5 to block 5. Blitzes are normally accounted for by quick game pass concepts and they leave a lot of one on one matchups. There is almost always an oh **** route to the backside as well.

The inside zone read with an RPO makes blitzing very risky.