Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What Can We Expect From Todd Monken's Offense?

2»

Comments

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I figured the answer was something like that. My less artful way of saying it, at least from what I've seen of Monken, is that he will make you pay a steep price for being over aggressive on defense.

• Options
    edited May 2020

@SoFL_Dawg or anyone else who wants to take a stab at this.

Which RB will benefit the most from Monken's offense?

I've already gone on the record that I think Zamir will put up great numbers as the lead back. I'm more curious about Cook, McIntosh, and Edwards.

Different skill sets for each. I think ALL benefit from Monken's philosophy, especially his affinity for utilizing backs in the pass game. But there's a wide range of possible outcomes here.

Cook could go for 500/500, or he could remain a relative non-factor. McIntosh could go for 750/250, or he could be an afterthought. Edwards could splash the scene and claim a lot of those yards for himself, or maybe he has to wait a year before getting any action.

Milton is obviously a factor as well, but he's kinda in another category. Feel free to weigh in there if you like.

What say you?

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think I’d lean Zeus as well just because his talent pre injury was just so much greater than the rest of the room. Considering two years removed from last injury, hopefully the stability and more importantly the confidence has fully returned. In addition, the weapons on the perimeter and the TE talent, there should be less defenders in the box to stop Zeus. Newman is also another threat to account for. Hopefully Zeus does enough to secure a second round pick up. Can’t take him in the first with the injuries despite fresh legs.

I also think Cook could take huge steps forward, showcase his versatility in time to be drafted in the 3rd-4th round next year. Hopefully Monken figures out how to scheme him against LBs and Cook has to make a play in passing game; he hasn’t showcased the ability to beat SEC opponents one on one yet.

• Options

Thanks for weighing in, SoFL. If I can follow up, two questions: (1) do you think Cook has any chance to get substantial carries, or will he be mostly a receiving threat; and (2) is McIntosh in the driver's seat to be RB2, or do you think Milton/Edwards either/both could take that from him?

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On Cook sure there’s a chance but he’s gotta he more productive running through arm tackles. He just hasn’t shown any contact toughness or enough wiggle given his opportunities.

On McIntosh, I think the versatility does have him primed for RB2 in addition to what’s going on with Cook above. Milton has struggled running routes/catching the rock in 7 on 7. Going to take some time there but if he’s moving the chains when given opportunities, his size is a competitive advantage in that room.

• Options
    dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope we trust who ever plays QB enough that we never run the ball with more than 6 players in the box.