Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Best Musical Artist from Georgia

Comments

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Drive-by Truckers (when the had Jason Isbell), of Montreal, Drivin’ N Cryin’, Guadalcanal Diary or Dreams so Real.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco All good bands for their respective eras, for sure.

This one takes me back to great days.

• SallysDadSallysDad Posts: 30 ✭✭✭ Junior

They misspelled Vic Chesnutt and he should be bigger.

But it’s Otis Redding, I think.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The best is matter of opinion.

The most successful

REM has 85 million records sold

Alan Jackson 75 million records sold

Couldn't find the number for Allman Brothers or Ray Charles

• carnivorecarnivore Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Col. Bruce Hampton.

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m with @texdawg on this; have my faves, but there is no “best,” even using a metric like sales.

An ex - and thank God she’s an ex - tried to argue that Massachusetts produced more great bands than Georgia. She said, Aerosmith, Boston, paused, said “Til” and I stopped her before she said, “Tuesday.” Not long after we were done.

What we suffer from in this state is an over wealth of musical talent past, present and hopefully future. Few states - if any - can match the shear number (see that map), depth (pick a genre and count off the starters and back up) and diversity of talent. Sound familiar?

The state of Ga’s musical talent mirrors the state of recruiting under CKS; unmatched.

From @Kasey starting this with Otis and The Crowes to @carnivore and the brilliant call on Col. Bruce (which made me have to add The Bonaventure Quartet) to every one in between, we are freaking blessed. Rock, chill, dance like an idiot, get lost in the jam, roll, feel the blues, feed your soul or whatever’s your pleasure- we can do it with GA grown music! Go Georgia and Go Dawgs!

• SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My personal favorite would be Allman Bros. when they were the original line-up. IMO the "best" as far as most talented would be Ray Charles. Easily. Man could do any kind of music and make it "sing" As far as record sales, @texdawg , have take those with a grain of salt. Unit sales grew enormously between the mid-70s and mid 80's. A "gold record" (500k units) was a big deal mid 70s. By the mid 80s, "platinum records" (1mil units) were fairly commonplace.

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone who sang about Hwy 41 can be claimed by Georgia.

Seems like the Dixie Dregs should at least get a mention.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@GradyDawg85

seeing that graphic posted earlier made me realize just how many people are from georgia...kinda shocked just how many it is and how all different it is

• PanicSpringTour02PanicSpringTour02 Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

Widespread Panic

Black Crowes

Otis

James Brown

D'n'C

big fan of the Futurebirds & The Whigs as well.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
  • GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Old_lady_dawg_fan You are SO right. They were on Capricorn Records; you don’t get more Georgia than that. Your post is upvoted and Twiggs Approved!

I also need to toss Atlanta Rhythm Section into this flurry. Stellar musicians, hall of fame song writer, got their start in Doraville and Studio One off Oakcliff Rd. Got a little wimpy at the end, but they could seriously jam in the early days.

Dang - one more, maybe a stretch, partial off topic accepted.

Brendan O’Brien from Tucker, Ga.; the best guitar player you’ve likely never seen play. Local Guitar G*d in late 70s in a Zep cover band (Pranks) and went on to produce everybody who’s ever been anybody - look him up.

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m partial to Collective Soul. They still put out new music and tour.

• jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Got to echo some of y’all and say Otis Redding! That never gets old!!

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PanicSpringTour02 upvote for Futurebirds. Friend of mine represents them. Been around for a little while but still an up-and-coming band. They're at their best live. Touring plans have been on hold due to CV but they're slated to play Sweetwater Fest (Atlanta) in April 2021 if anyone wants to check them out.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ray and Otis...

Listening to Otis, chillin' on the beach is about a 10/10...

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Capt, no Beef with yah but if your going to mention Hampton may as well throw in one of my old neighbors, Glenn Philips.

• LakeDawgLakeDawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can't go wrong with any of the people mentioned in this thread and we are blessed to have so much great live music in GA. But no one has mentioned who may end up being the biggest act from GA and that's Lady Antebellum. My brother grew up with these guys... Good guys and Hillary is as sweet as she can be when I've been around her.

Also growing up in Augusta I'm partial to the Godfather... James Brown!