Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

90s vs 80s country

JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sitting here at the beach soaking in the rays and I guess the COVID because kids won’t back off and don’t know what social distancing is

Did the peanut butter sandwich debate. I’m haveing a debate with the misses. What’s better 80’s or 90’s country music? I say 90’s

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I go 85 to 95

it really started getting bad after 95 in my opinion. There were some good groups and songs I like after, but not much.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm more of a 75-85 guy, so 80's. Early 80's. As the years have passed, all country has become more and more demonized.

• BangersBangers Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Got to go with the 90's but agree as time passes country gets a whole lot less country. Here is a good newer one though worth checking out... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9lhjfbCJo

So I’m up here in small town Minnesota and my future in laws love country and it’s making me want to listen to it again. How anyone calls Florida Georgia Line country I’ll never know. They sound like what Gator fans smell like

This Chris Young guy who sings Drowning I enjoy though

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Check some Alan Jackson out or Tracy Lawrence. It should suffice the craving.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are some diamonds in the rough for new day country, but I agree with you

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I also like me some Luke Combs. When it Rains, It pours is hilarious.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

@JRT812

The 1980s - Because of the "King" George Straight, and then there is The Judds, and add in Reba McEntire, and do not forget about Keith Whitley, and in Lee Greenwood, and also Clint Black, and Garth Brooks debut, and even the group Alabama (although their name still bugs me)??? Those are just a few that come into my own mind.... I give the 1980s country music decade the nod just ever so slightly ahead of the 1990s country music, but not by very much at all.

The 1990s - Alan Jackson tore it up for the entire decade, then there is John Michael Montgomery, and Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Martina McBride, with Tim McGraw, and his wife Faith Hill, and do not forget Shania Twain(how could anyone forget HER???), and Toby Keith (he was as good once as he ever was), then Lonestar.... it's really close.

My conclusion? You just CANNOT go wrong with so much good music from all of these (and many more) from both decades.

GO DAWGS!!!!

• Jdawg2197Jdawg2197 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you guys are looking for a newer artist check out Cody Johnson. He does a cover of red dirt road with Brooks and Dunn that’s pretty solid if you’re interested.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So basically......89- 90 was an incredible time in country music.

Pretty much Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, Doug Stone (pine box is one of the greatest country songs) Travis Tritt all came out about the same time.

Shortly followed by Mark Chestnut and others.

Great time for country music.

The 80s were fine.....George Strait is as good as it gets. Steve Warner was good.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like someone said above 85-95 imop

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saw George Strait in concert, with Clay Walker opening for him. Pretty good show.

Both decades had their moments. And both had their dumpster fires (line dancing, anyone?).

Garth was incredible. Shania Twain in '95 may have been the most incredibly attractive woman I have ever seen outside of my wife. Thought Trisha was pretty special, but there's some bias there..

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you want to try some modern country out:

Tyler Childers

Colter Wall

Benjamin Tod

Sierra Ferrell

Read Southall

Jason Isbell

Parker Millsap

Wailin' Jennys

Whiskey Myers

White Buffalo

Whitey Morgan

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tons of great music out today. Just because it isn't on the billboard top 40 doesn't mean it isn't there

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just listen to Prime Country on Sirius XM. It's the 80s & 90s country station. This morning I heard Alan Jackson-Neon Rainbow, Kenny Rogers-The Greatest, Garth Brooks-Callin Baton Rouge, and Ronnie Milsap-Smokey Mountain Rain all on the way to the bank. Pretty solid morning.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate