Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do yourself a favor and stop posting academic research that's got more holes than Swiss Cheese.

• Options
    Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hear that the problem is the damage has already been done. so how are we going to fix this? I was out of work for 2 1/2 months, unemployment came through but now that I’m back at work my pay got cut in half literally. it’s to the point where my overhead expenses are way more than what I’m earning.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate that and sorry to hear that for you and your family.

The way out of it is to work... not you. You already are working.. but everyone else needs to work.

The hotdog vendor at Samford stadium, or the HS referee at a Valdosta HS game, or the helmet equipment salesman in south florida may not seem like much.....but all that is income earned....small or large......doesn't matter.....it's income spent on stuff.

The more people earning income the more money available to spread around.

Unemployment is a stop gap... nothing more.

Obviously your company needs more business....more income.....to pay employees and hire employees. They get that from a strong economy.

Impossible to have a strong economy if restaurants, bars, stadiums, theaters, beaches etc.....are closed or partly closed.

For this to work..... every part of the economy has to be open.

Obviously more people will get Covid... and unfortunately some will die.... and that sucks.

But have to protect the hundreds of millions of lives that will still be here long after the virus is gone.

That's not callousness or being cold..... that's ensuring that the population as a whole is able to survive.

Unfortunately there are many that don't see this. Even worse, there are many that see this and want this.....

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tex, you can't separate "science" from the discussion, because some are using/weaponizing it as an excuse to prevent economic re-engagement. I'm attempting to posit your same sentiment, namely that for every academic study on C-19, one can point to scientific pronouncements that have been miles off the mark.

Simply put, I share the same concerns you do, which is why I've said numerous times that the cure has and will be worse than the disease.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think anyone including me is advocating a total shutdown for a long period. i do think that taking steps to minimize deaths is critical to restoring the best economy possible at this time. That would be a nationwide shut-down of Bars and indoor dining at restaurants, a shut-down of indoor movie theaters and any indoor events where distancing cannot be monitored. It would also include mandatory wearing of masks in indoor public places and selected outdoor places (parks, beaches etc, ) The reduction in virus spread and cases would boost the economy through consumer confidence more than enough to offset the losses in those areas that would be closed.

• Options
    Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg problem is my job is based off tourism, and lots of it being international. I don’t see this turning around within a year at the least unless the whole globe is on the same page. Most of our business is from Europe, South America, etc.

• Options

Real world example - Air travel has not been closed or restricted so why is travel down 95%?

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

On the contrary, most of us are saying please wear masks and avoid large indoor gatherings so we can attempt to open things up without seeing a huge spike in cases. No one wants to have a prolonged shutdown.

• Options

Do you support having the Government replace the earnings of the businesses you close, perhaps based on last year's income?

Air travel is down because of fear plus no business travel.

• Options

Herman Cain has the covid and is in the hospital here in Atlanta.

Will be interesting to see how his condition progresses. I can't imagine some of the hateful things being said about this latest news on certain websites.

• Options

Florida displays what exponential growth looks like. Positive Rate increased almost 25% in 5 days (19.5% from 15.8%).

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Georgia New Case age distribution from yesterday (announced today)

This will be short of the full total because I didn't do under 4 year olds.

5-9 50 cases

10-17 258 cases 3 hospitalization, 0 deaths

18-29 1182 cases, 21 hospitalizations, 0 deaths

30-39 672 cases, 34 hospitalizations, 2 deaths

40-49 473 cases, 53 hospitalizations, 1 death

50-59 381 cases 47 hospitalizations, 2 deaths

60-69 245 cases, 30 hospitalizations, 3 deaths

70-79 97 cases, 17 hospitalizations, 3 deaths

80+ 42 cases, 20 hospitalizations, 11 deaths

Prayers especially for those in the older groups, especially the 80+'s. The ones in the hospital have a slightly less than fifty-fifty chance of going home. The 70's are about 40% mortality once hospitalized, and the 60's are just over 25% mortality when hospitalized.

• Options

Real world example back......because families don't have many places to travel for vacation because foreign countries will quarantine.....and because business are not having their salesman travel because of fear from backlash or because their just isn't enough business to support travel.

Texan can't travel to New York, Paris or even Mexico. Fly to California.....nothing open.....South Beach....nope. How about Hawaii? If you want to get arrested for leaving your Hotel.

So yes......there are reasons air travel is down.

• Options
    dgdawgdgdawg Posts: 242 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Also from a business standpoint, most companies have halted travel(flying). The company I work for is also on a hiring freeze in order to halt movement.

• Options

Wonder how many of those hospitalizations were actually necessary. Obviously some...but hospitals aren't turning anybody away.

• Options

Would you prefer it had been from the New York Times? Are they more reputable? /s

This discussion has been closed.