Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No worries mate, put another shrimp on the barbie! ;-)

I have to tell you I wasn't expecting that type of post. You're always so serious and composed, so reading that bone dry sense of humor was refreshing. I bet there's a lot more of that sense of humor waiting to come out!

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are already reports from Houston that people are dying on the way to hospital or at home. The care has definitely improved but that only helps those that get admitted soon enough.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sure, but I think we’ll have enough data by the 21st to see which way this is headed.

@Kasey Nate Silver is not very good at math Yes, more cases means lower death rate, but the fatality numbers are still lower than April when they had everyone locked away from the sunshine.

Heck, if we could somehow subtract New York then we’d still be comparing this to a really bad flu year. I guess the difference is they don’t send people with the flu to a nursing home.

edited July 2020

Reports? As in Plural? As in how many? How many cases of this nature, not how many reports.

I have no doubt someone died while in route the hospital, but the way this is presented suggests that it is a somewhat regular occurrence. Also, if you die of covid while in route to the hospital , your death is not an indicator of severity, or anything else other than someone being too hardheaded to seek care earlier. Sounds like a victim of media hype who died because they were too scared to go to the hospital.

Contributing to the sensationalism by hyping one-off examples is dishonest, and ironic in that such behavior by the media is the likely reason the individual in question died. Hysteria. A preventable death?

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think I'm going to just UV posts that have DV's for no good reason.

edited July 2020

@Denmen185 Thoughts on this NYTimes article? I think the writer betrayed his actual agenda when he supplied the reason for increased “covid hospitalizations” right there in plain sight.

“About a quarter of all patients admitted to the city’s main public hospital over the past two weeks tested positive for the coronavirus, including those who came in from car crashes, heart attacks and other problems.”

Hospitalized WITH covid, not because of covid.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Not sure what point you are trying to make. The reporter was merely stating a fact to indicate how widespread the virus is in South Florida. It did not say how many, if any, were being counted as Covid hospitalization. Everyone is obviously being tested in order to segregate patients to avoid infecting those that are negative but obviously high risk. The hospital likely would report car crash as the reason for hospitalization. The heart attack is a different issue as strokes and heart attacks are symptoms and COD for many with Covid. I assume the staff look at other factors to determine whether or not the virus is the cause. After all, If you don't count heart issues, pneumonia, strokes, kidney failure etc as "Covid" deaths there would be no deaths from the virus.

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I saw 2 videos from an emergency management official in Houston. The full video a reporter asked him when this should be considered an emergency. He said If and when our rescue vehicles are waiting in line for an hour to get to the emergency room it is an emergency. The second video the "If and" was cut out so he said, When our rescue vehicles are waiting in line for an hour to get to the emergency room it is an emergency. So the second video sounded like he was saying it was already happening and this was a couple weeks ago.

edited July 2020

I’m surprised you would say you don’t understand the point.

The article did not say how many were counted as covid hospitalizations? Come on, man. This comment makes me think you are only paying attention to the numbers you recite and not trying to find out as much as you can about what is actually happening. You were the one who cited “hospitalization numbers” above yet you have essentially admitted that you don’t know what those numbers mean. The CARES Act provides extra payments for the treatment of Covid patients. What hospital is going to admit someone who Is positive for covid without labeling the patient as covid? The illness is widespread? You betcha. Your point is the same as mine, just different implications. In fact, I would argue this is more widespread that you. Significantly.

You assume they look at other factors to determine COD, but let’s be honest. This horse has been beat to death so many times it seems pointless to address it. Just look at the thousands of people who were retroactively labeled a “probable covid” death weeks and even months after the patient passed. How did they make that determination? It wasn’t further testing. They went back and looked for people they could change in order to receive Cares funding. Now they label every death they can as covid related. I’d like to know if you were not already aware of this practice, because if you were already aware then I find your arguments a bit insincere. The abuse in the system is widely accepted.

How many people with lung cancer get pneumonia and die every year who are then labeled as dying because of pneumonia? That’s not how the system works and you know it. They put cancer on the death certificate. I know that’s what my father’s said.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have to agree.

Virus is no doubt widespread....

But just how deadly? Seems misleading.

Would just like to know how many people are actually dead because of Covid. Not how many people died and also tested pos for Covid......then calling it a Covid death.

We won't get that number because of financial incentives.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's a very good example of how the fake news does what it does. They lie by omission. Or by taking things out of context. I've seen it before as well. Once you understand what they do, it's hard to ever trust them again.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

The death rate going down is all that matters.

It was always going to spread. We are all most likely going to get it. Everyone.

Be as careful as you can, more so if vulnerable, and go about your lives like normal.

This discussion has been closed.