Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Do The Braves have enough starting pitching to contend ?..

CTBulldogCTBulldog Posts: 100 ✭ Freshman

Right now it looks very doubtful to me. Fried looks fantastic, after that it's a hot mess. How do you guys see their chances to keep winning the rest of the way ?

Comments

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No.

Not very good.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Right now it's a quick no from me. Unless newk gets right, they get consistent 5-6 quality innings from Touki and then someone like Anderson steps up I just don't think they have enough pitching.

One thing I would be curious to see them try is the "opener" concept some teams like the Ray's have kicked around the last few yrs. Go into the game with the plan of pitching 5-6 relievers with each giving you 1-3 innings instead of a traditional starter.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unfortunately not

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

Newcomb was sent down to Gwinnett and I'd be surprised if he's recalled this season.

And I do think they will try the Rays' approach a handful of times, given the strength of their pen.

• CTBulldogCTBulldog Posts: 100 ✭ Freshman

They're using it by accident already. Like tonight, they can't get innings from starters.

I'm guessing they were hoping to get more than 1+ out Ynoa, though. He faced 10 batters and 7 of them reached. Is a minor miracle only 2 runs scored through that sequence.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

On occasion it's been unplanned but it was so obviously planned today.

Just like the first time Ynoa started on the weekend. It was a planned bullpen game instead of a traditional game. It worked that time, but this time it went fairly poorly.

My guess is eventually a young starter is about to come up and make their ML debut as a starter, but they continue to try to go non-traditional and do things with Matzek and Tomlin one day a week, or maybe less if you start skipping one of the open spots with the off days (both finally giving up runs, but neither really pitching that poorly outside of 1 pitch tonight).

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh and...

This team is making the playoffs unless Acuna is going to be down for a while, but they have no chance at anything more.

It's a shame because until Soroka tore his Achilles, things were probably set up better than they were last year heading into the playoffs. But that happened, and this is what we have.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For the playoffs, yeah probably. For a deep run probably not even with soroka. Without soroka absolutely not. And we only really have one or two high level pitching prospects left that we haven’t seen yet.

Agree with this. Worried about depth of pitching in the pipeline.

Only bright spot - not a lot of money promised in the future. AA has flexibility to go sign a couple (at least) of pitchers.

Thanks, I haven't watched more than a few minutes the past week. Bad pitching is hard for me to stomach.

Starters getting crushed and wearing down the pen is usually a train wreck in slow motion. I dearly hope you prove to be correct though.

I also forgot to add that if they can get anything from Hamels that would be huge.

I'm sure of one thing, if the team wants to win this year, they'll have to trade for at least one high quality starting pitcher. How did it come to this when we stocked the system with over 20 SP prospects a few years ago ? I know the old truism you can never have too much pitching, but you'd think he'd have 4 or 5 solid starters by now.

That's the $50 mil question...

Do you trade for a missing piece, when at any point the season may not finish?

I will be surprised if many teams are willing to move prospects this year, especially the Braves, for a rental.

Hopefully Hamels comes back. That's probably a vain hope.

I see your point, and I share your hesitation. I would only make a move that gives the team control of the pitcher beyond this season unless it's something unusual where we're close to having a contender and the price is reasonable. Ideally I always want multi years unless it's a situation where we have young guys coming up. Right now it looks questionable whether any of these young kids will be big league starters next year. We have Fried, then chaos.

Braves are still fairly loaded with P prospects. The thing is, the way the landscape changes in MLB every year, their names are often different than you might expect. Prior to the start of this season, 5 of our top 10 minor league prospects were pitchers. All except Davidson (24) are just 22 years old.

#3 RHP Ian Anderson (1st round pick in 2016. Went 8-7 last year with a 3.38 ERA splitting time between AA & AAA. 6'3". 95 MPH fastball with incredible extension. Plus change and curve.)

#5 RHP Bryse Wilson (4th round pick in 2016. Made his MLB debut in 2018. Went 10-7 with a 3.42 ERA at Gwinnett last year. 6'2". 95 MPH fastball. Plus change and slider.)

#7 LHP Kyle Muller (2nd round pick in 2016. Went 7-6 with a 3.14 ERA in AA last year. 6'6". 97 MPH fastball. Big 2-8 curveball.)

#9 LHP Tucker Davidson (19th round pick in 2016. Went 7-6 with a 2.03 ERA in AA last year. 6'2". 98 MPH fastball, change and slider.)

#10 LHP Jared Shuster (1st round pick in 2020. In a Covid-shortened season, struck out 43 batters in 26 IP for Wake Forest and recorded a 0.949 WHIP. 6'3". 95 MPH fastball. Plus change and curve.)

-----

In addition to those guys, 7 of the next 10 prospects (i.e. 12 of our top 20 total) are pitchers. Most of these guys won't get much of a look during this Covid-shortened season, but the next couple of years should be fun to watch as each one gets called up.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

I forgot about Wilson, although i don't have a ton of optimism he will work out due to lack of good secondary offerings. And when you say "loaded".... Ian Anderson is the only grade 60 prospect all the rest are 50s, which are average. I've seen and forgotten about a dozen 50 grade pitching prospects we have seen fail in Atlanta the last 5 years.... If Ian Anderson doesn't work out we are in trouble. I really like Kyle Mueller though, and haven't ever seen Davidson. So fingers crossed we find some actual major league starters out of this crop.

Fair enough. I've also seen 60's who didn't pan out, so having a truckload of 50's gives me some hope.