Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

With Mullen getting $6 mil a year, how big of a raise does Kirby get?

BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited November 2017 in General

Kirby is currently at $3.75 base salary.

With Mullen getting $6 mil a year, how big of a raise does Kirby get? 39 votes

No raise unless he wins it all.
5%
mleeJinx55 2 votes
North of $4 mil
41%
donmtfk_fanboyTdub0199chattanoogadawgDiablo_and_DocPTDawgAgDawgmclartywHenley79DawgsonTopDawgsince76pgjacksonJoshJStanpastordawgHotDiggetyDawgJRT812 16 votes
North of $5 mil
33%
superblackeagledawgnmsPalm_City_DawgCZCashvilleDawgrwdenniscf_ugamanAkonrocco4UGAinsertusernamehereDaWGfan01BoroDawgstrange_noahgreshamdisco 13 votes
$6 mil and not a dime more...
0%
Anything he asks for!!!!!!!
20%
thegreatwhite1bigdawg2223GaJoe1950sarceanugaforeverchristopherulestymoon31Kasey 8 votes

Comments

• chattanoogadawgchattanoogadawg Posts: 151 ✭✭✭ Junior
    North of $4 mil

If we win Saturday, let's go ahead and give him a Brinks truck.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You could have included, "Salary stays the same." That's what I would have chosen. He's about to load up on some bonuses though.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/smarts-contract-and-salary-details-released

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    North of $4 mil

Sort of depends where they end, but voted north of 4. Would say "anything he wants" if he wins the ship haha

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar said:
    You could have included, "Salary stays the same." That's what I would have chosen. He's about to load up on some bonuses though.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/smarts-contract-and-salary-details-released

I think that is what my first option is.

• evergreentreeevergreentree Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

What has Kirby Smart done to merit a raise? He took over a team that went 20-6 the two prior years and has gone 19-6. He won the SEC East, but in a year where Tennessee, Florida and Missouri went 4-8, 4-7 and 7-5 and the second best team in the division, South Carolina, went 8-4 and were totally annihilated at home by Clemson 34-10 (where Auburn played them real close 14-7 at Clemson) ... probably the weakest that the SEC East has been ever.

Look, I like the direction that Smart is taking this team in terms of the systems that he has put in on both sides of the ball, the assistants that he has hired, and the recruits that he is reeling in. But Dan Mullen took over a program that had gone 10-30 the previous 5 years and went 69-46, including their first major bowl game since 1941. To put it another way, Mississippi State has had 20 bowl seasons in their entire history - 122 years of college football - and Mullen is responsible for 8 of them. Still not convinced? Of the 12 bowl victories in 122 years Mullen has 5 of them. Smart has a long way to go before becoming the sort of transformational figure for UGA that Mullen was for Mississippi State that would allow you to compare salaries. To put it another way, Mullen had success as a head coach at MSU and before that as a coordinator at Utah with mostly 2 and 3 star recruits, with even 4 star recruits - let alone 5 stars - being rare. When considering the talent that Smart has had to play with at Alabama and UGA, who among you is confident that he is capable of the same?

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@evergreentree said:
    What has Kirby Smart done to merit a raise? He took over a team that went 20-6 the two prior years and has gone 19-6. He won the SEC East, but in a year where Tennessee, Florida and Missouri went 4-8, 4-7 and 7-5 and the second best team in the division, South Carolina, went 8-4 and were totally annihilated at home by Clemson 34-10 (where Auburn played them real close 14-7 at Clemson) ... probably the weakest that the SEC East has been ever.

UGA did well to go 8-5 last year with that horrible OL and WR corps. I have serious doubts that Dan Mullen could have done much better.

It's not Kirby's fault that the SECe is down (or is it?), but you have to acknowledge: Georgia didn't just win the east, they OWNED it, outscoring east opponents 247-72. Kirby has shown that he will not take the foot off the gas.

It's also not Kirby's fault (or is it) that he recruited 19 blue chip recruits for the 2017 class. Championships start with talent acquisition. Kirby has shown that he knows how to recruit.

I do agree, Kirby has to earn his chops to get an $8M paycheck, and that he's not there yet, but he's on the right track, and he has shown that, at least.

North of $4 mil

@evergreentree said:

Look, I like the direction that Smart is taking this team in terms of the systems that he has put in on both sides of the ball, the assistants that he has hired, and the recruits that he is reeling in. But Dan Mullen took over a program that had gone 10-30 the previous 5 years and went 69-46, including their first major bowl game since 1941. To put it another way, Mississippi State has had 20 bowl seasons in their entire history - 122 years of college football - and Mullen is responsible for 8 of them. Still not convinced? Of the 12 bowl victories in 122 years Mullen has 5 of them. Smart has a long way to go before becoming the sort of transformational figure for UGA that Mullen was for Mississippi State that would allow you to compare salaries. To put it another way, Mullen had success as a head coach at MSU and before that as a coordinator at Utah with mostly 2 and 3 star recruits, with even 4 star recruits - let alone 5 stars - being rare. When considering the talent that Smart has had to play with at Alabama and UGA, who among you is confident that he is capable of the same?

Dan is that you? I am confident to answer your question. Confident the tide is turning and waves are being ridden in Athens. Ride your own wave, but I like where we are headed.

@evergreentree said:

Whoa tiger, you didn't have to convince me of anything. I'm assuming that you think Mullen is a better coach, and time will tell. However during your diatribe I noticed that you failed to mention that Mullen was 2-15 all time against ranked teams. I think Kirby is close to beating that already. Has Kirby shown consistency, not yet. But he has shown that he has changed the culture, and I believe that is monumental. UT just offered Mike Gundy $7 mil a year. Would you take Gundy over Kirby? We need to accept the fact that UF and UT are raising the bar for average and slightly above average Head coaches.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

@DawgsofWar said:

But you added "Unless he wins it all." I think if Smart won it all, the AD would definitely give him his bonuses, but a raise might not come till after his third year. I would definitely give KS a raise around his third year though. It's about resiliency. If Georgia wins it all, that's awesome. I guarantee he'll get a raise, but it won't be till around probably middle of the season next year. If not and the team can't bounce back, you just gave a man a raise and under performing. I'm just playing a little devil's advocate here, my friend.

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    North of $5 mil

I think if we make the playoffs (which obviously means we are SEC Champs), he needs to be in the 5 million range, a natty could we'll put him in the 6 range.

@DawgsofWar said:

@BamaDawg said:

@DawgsofWar said:

But you added "Unless he wins it all." I think if Smart won it all, the AD would definitely give him his bonuses, but a raise might not come till after his third year. I would definitely give KS a raise around his third year though. It's about resiliency. If Georgia wins it all, that's awesome. I guarantee he'll get a raise, but it won't be till around probably middle of the season next year. If not and the team can't bounce back, you just gave a man a raise and under performing. I'm just playing a little devil's advocate here, my friend.

Understand, but there are already bonuses in his current contract. Unless I'm mistaken, if we win it all he gets a $1 mil bonus.

• Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No raise unless he wins it all.

@BamaDawg said:

@evergreentree said:

Whoa tiger, you didn't have to convince me of anything. I'm assuming that you think Mullen is a better coach, and time will tell. However during your diatribe I noticed that you failed to mention that Mullen was 2-15 all time against ranked teams. I think Kirby is close to beating that already. Has Kirby shown consistency, not yet. But he has shown that he has changed the culture, and I believe that is monumental. UT just offered Mike Gundy $7 mil a year. Would you take Gundy over Kirby? We need to accept the fact that UF and UT are raising the bar for average and slightly above average Head coaches.

Agreed @BamaDawg not to mention the talent influx that Kirby has brought in. Kirby believes in his coaches developing talent but he knows first and foremost you have to have talent. I think we can agree that Auburn has more defensive line talent (the got quite a few UGA targets) and it showed a few weeks ago. So Kirby recruiting at a higher rate, and beating the teams he should (Gundy lost to KSU which also was beat by Vandy) is a big factor as well!

Besides @evergreentree Mullen was already making good money so he wasn’t going to take the same to coach UF he had to get a bump. Salary isn’t always a determining factor on coaching ability. And Kirby will push for more “staff allocated money” to keep assistants and ride it out on making sizable bonuses with more wins until year 3 negotiations in my opinion.

North of $4 mil

May we add option "rights to first born child" on the chance he pulls off the big ship? May change my selection to that.... getting more excited for Sat!!! I've got a feeling this season is going to end well!