Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Traeger

dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited September 2020 in DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone

Hey DawgNation,

With Saturday rapidly approaching and the dawgs squaring off against the HOGS I figured this would be the perfect game to make a pork butt.

Does anybody on here have any tips for cooking a pork butt/shoulder on a Traeger specifically? I just got a Traeger as a gift and I am trying to figure out the best temp to cook it at and how long it usually takes!

I wanna put it on at midnight or 1:00 a.m. so that I can pull it off in the morning and wrap it and then finish it around 1-2.

Comments

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lots of good stuff on here, and I'm sure some of the guys could weigh in on your specific question as well.

https://forum.dawgnation.com/discussion/12575/smokin-grillin-and-chillin-while-sipping-your-favorite-beverage#latest

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congratulations on the new smoker! An exciting day in any man’s (or woman’s) life.

Key factor for how long is: how big is your butt? You’ll need to allow 1.5-2hrs per lb.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

I’ve read that and tried both ways. I didn’t notice anything significant but some of the old timers that own some local bbq joint say do it. Most do some say it doesn’t matter. I say why not set it while I’m throwing some logs on the Lang smoker.

Edit - I agree it’s pretty hard to mess up on a traeger

• Options
    roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

Following the advice of those old timers is never a bad idea!

edited to add: I really wish I had room for a Lang. Can’t beat those. First thing I’ll buy when I move back to Georgia.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love that site, I have his book too. Food Lab is another great source. I am always a fan of folks who test methods instead of just going by what grandpappy said.

No experience with a pellet, OP, but pork butt is def. the perfect thing to start with. No doubt you'll be happy with the result

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am so glad someone else is disturbed by that phenomenon. I find it not just unattractive but borderline unholy.

• Options
    NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Make sure you post a picture after it is done or it doesn’t count.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pics will be posted around 2:00 tomorrow!

• Options
    rwdennisrwdennis Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited September 2020

One more thing to keep in mind - every piece of meat is different and some take a lot longer to cook than others. I have had one be done in 8-10 hours and another exactly the same size take 18 hours. I did not wrap for either of those - wrapping will definitely help you get through the stall a lot faster. Regardless, once it gets to the desired internal temp, you can take it off and wrap it in foil first and then wrap that up in an old towel and place it in a cooler - it will stay warm for hours. Just make sure it isn't one of your good towels (my wife didn't appreciate that very much).