Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Eddie VH- Another goes way too young

GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saw him once, not sure I’ve ever seen a musician, maybe any person, having so much fun doing what they were put here to do and doing it so f-r-e-a-k-I-n-g well. Rest in peace.

Comments

• Boss_DawgBoss_Dawg Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

WOW. Makes me feel a bit old. Saw them at the Monsters of Rock in 1988 and a few years ago with DLR in Atlanta. Sad to see.

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

R.I.P. Mr. Eddie Van Halen!!!! I remember the day 1984 was released!!!

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of the very best ! RIP Eddie

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dam.n shame R.I.P..

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad that I saw both Van-Hagar and DLR in my time. If you're talking about the Music Midtown show a couple of years back where DLR talked the whole time about farmers bringing him buckets of corn, well... I'm glad the band played through all that.

• USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saw them four times.

1) 1978 Hampton Coliseum, Hampton VA -- Van Halen (a new band) had just released Van Halen I and was opening up for a well established band, Black Sabbath, who was on their last tour with front man, Ozzy Osbourne.

2) 1980 or 81? Atlanta OMNI -- Women and Children First Tour

3) 1983 Birmingham, AL -- Diver Down tour

4) 1986 (or 87) Atlanta, GA -- OU812 Tour (w/ Sammy Hagar)

Great memories and great shows.

• 914Dawg914Dawg Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like a few of you, this is reminding me of how old I am too. Saw VH when I was 14-15 years-old during the 1984 Tour. Amazing show. And 1st Row! (Bizarre and lucky story - got tickets over the phone from ticketron or whatever it was called then). RIP Eddie!

• dawg_fan_66dawg_fan_66 Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can't help but think of him walking down that table playing the guitar in the Hot for Teacher (aka 'out of reefer') video

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saw them during their Diver Down & 1984 tour. And couldn’t agree with you more; Eddie always looked like he was truly enjoying his work/art.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020
  • 70dawg70dawg Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Saw the 51 50 tour, 1st with Sammy in Colorado as a teenager. Was at CU or CSU stadium, an all day concert. Opening were Loverboy, Ronnie James Dio and BTO!

We worked our way up so close by the time Van Halen came on and Michael Anthony did his Jack Daniels bit, that I got Jack poured on me when Michael dumped some of the 1st bottle into the crowd. Never will forget that day!

Was 15 yrs old and started to worry that when my Dad picked us up he'd be mad because I smelled like alcohol!!!!

We lost another 1 of our heros today, RIP EVH.......You and Neal will have some legendary jam sessions up there in Heaven

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,611 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I never saw them live for some reason. I pretty much saw all the other hard rock guys from the 80's...don't know why I never saw them. 1984 is the soundtrack of my HS years. Strangely enough, Jump is my absolute least favorite song...but the rest of the album is flawless. Every time I hear Panama or I'll Wait or Hot For Teacher it takes me back to those happy years of football practice, riding the bus with good friends, and generally not having a care in the world.

• 914Dawg914Dawg Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Never will forget that 1984 show. I remember looking at my brother in awe at just how awesome I'll Wait sounded. Also, Panama is first song I can remember that I barely liked, until I heard it live - so much better live. (More "recent" examples U2's Elevation and Vertigo - for me they're fine, but great live).

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's a nice PRS guitar that guy is playing. My son has one.

I was at a party in the English countryside the first time I heard Van Halen and I remember thinking to myself, "**** who is that?" I got myself a beer sat down in the room with several people and we listened to the whole album. Right out of the gate I knew I was listening to a R&R game changer. I got to see them open up for the Stones in 1981 and they rocked the stage.

R.I.P. Eddie Van Halen - Legend!

Curious, what were you doing in England? I went to HS in north London from 83-86.

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

He had cancer for like 20 years...amazing he was able to go as far as he did......also, I assuming they were able to treat it without cutting away half the guys face (Like Roger Ebert)

Yes. I have a PRS SE Standard. Basically their entry level guitar. The thing is amazing and makes my Strat look like a cheap toy. PRS makes some beautiful instruments.