Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Adam Sasser suing UGA

Ugadawg1993Ugadawg1993 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Comments

• roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This will never go to court. He will get a financial settlement outside of court.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just looking at this from a strict legal POV.....I wonder what the damages are...My understanding is that he went to another school and had a pretty good year...So I'm not sure what he is claiming other then damage to reputation....Anyway, this is small potatoes one way or the other

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Screw Sasser.

That being said he could have a case to win or at at least settle. I think UGA made the right choice regardless of how this case outcome is.

The reason he may have a case is if ANY OTHER student athlete was allowed to get away with the word without the same level of punishment. If they can find a known athlete on social media, a social media post, a known incident (even in a “joking” or “brotherly” manner) and show it as unequal treatment.

• DoberDawgDoberDawg Posts: 79 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I understand the economic benefit for UGA to settle this case...it simply costs less to settle than to take something like this trial.

But this case is interesting based on the current social environment. I don’t know anything more about this case other than news articles and message board discussions so my opinion could change in light of new details.

Now that my disclaimer is out of the way, I just wonder if taking this to court rather than settle is good for the university? Even if UGA loses the case, I’m not sure the university could do better from a PR standpoint of showing zero tolerance than fighting this case in the public eye.

I guess the risk of other racial incidents being brought up, especially where the University may have taken a more tolerable stance, could be even more damaging.

Thoughts from any of our legal peeps?

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can make an argument his use of the N-word in that scenario isn't protected as it can be seen as fighting words. Any reasonable person would assume repeatedly shouting the N-word around black people would lead to an altercation which it did in this case. As they say, play stųpid games and win stűpid prizes.

His only argument is if he can say it wasn’t equally enforced and the university did, or should have known it wasn’t being enforced equally.

I mean I guess he can argue against the societal double standard on how people react to the N-word in court. It's just a strange hill to die on.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whatever one thinks of the merits of the claim, this excerpt from the AJC helps explain the basis for damages:

"A first baseman and power hitter, Sasser transferred to North Greenville College in South Carolina. Sasser set the single-season home-run record and finished second in the nation with 21 home runs and 63 RBIs.

After completing his eligibility, Sasser was not drafted in the 2018 MLB draft. He was unable to land any free-agent opportunities with any major league organizations."

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, without the incident he would've been drafted easily. Not saying anywhere near the top rounds of the draft, but that's what he's going to sue for.

This one baseball player caused a lot of stir up for the university. Obviously the Fields' claim/waiver, then Reese recently putting it out there as an excuse to get eligibility, but lastly he really could've helped UGA baseball make a run at a championship if he wasn't an id1ot.

@Teddy @YaleDawg

I'm not representing the guy. Just providing additional context.

It's actually an interesting legal question whether Sasser's actions caused him to suffer the loss, or if UGA's reaction was the cause.

Would MLB teams have denied him employment if he had not been dismissed from UGA? Who knows.

Was UGA within its rights to dismiss him? Probably.

How will this case turn out? I have no idea. Not my area of expertise.

If UGA was in the right for dismissing him from the baseball team, I would imagine they can't be held liable for any resulting damages. You can't sue your former employer for damages after not being able to find a similar job at a different company as long as you were legally fired for cause. I don't see how this scenario should be treated differently.

For the record I don't want you to see this as a personal attack. IANAL just stating how I see things as a layperson

I agree with your thinking. But I've learned not to predict what judges or juries will do, especially when motivated parties and talented lawyers are involved. (FTR, I do not know Dorothy Spinelli, who represents Sasser.)

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I know you're providing context. And to provide further context, he'll probably win this case fairly easily. What he did is condemned by society, but doesn't violate any constitutional laws. A quick reference to UGA's student handbook claims to support free speech as the constitution does.

UGA Athletics probably had the right to dismiss him, as student-athletes have to play by stricter rules. But the university doesn't have the right to dismiss him. So, he'll probably use that in his case.

PS: please note I'm just covering how I think this legal case is going to play out, not what I think is right.

edited October 2020

Anything when desperate...

I dont think the argument will come down to what’s right and wrong from a societal view. I bet he tries to say it wasn’t handled equally by UGA and he was “singled out” due to it being higher profile. Unequal application of the “rules”. I can’t see any other argument.

• BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What does the student handbook say about morality and hate speech? I think that will determine the responsibility part for UGA.

P.S. This is how these conversations should go without ego and insults. Keep it up Dawgs.