Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart clears up Georgia QB situation before Florida, selection of Stetson Bennett

SystemSystem Posts: 10,520 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart clears up Georgia QB situation before Florida, selection of Stetson Bennett

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart cleared up where he stands with the Bulldogs' quarterback situation, which has taken on a life of its own of late

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hard for Mathis to gain any ground with no game reps.. Practice isn't close to a game situation.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If JT is with the scout team then he won't be here next season. Oh well another 5 tar bites the dust. We'll have to see him put up big numbers with some other school. That'll be fun!

• Options

Clear as mud Kirby. Thanks!

• Options

I guess JT must of gotten a concussion and couldn't learn the play book. NO way you can watch JT's highlights(HS and USC) and not believe he brings more to the table.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

CKA is talking nonsense! Why is Daniels restricted to the scout team? If Mathis is not better than Bennett, then why start him game 1? Why does Bennett give us the best chance to win versus 3 other QBs with better skill level? How is CKA pleased with Bennett's recent performance? Why does he keep blaming others for Bennett's failures? Why did Fromm leave? Why did Newman leave? CKS needs to answer these questions or he is at high risk of losing fan support which he may not care about, but I assure you the AD does!

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Les Miles got sent to Kansas for this

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Reading between the lines (frankly not that hard), Mathis will transfer at the end of the season. Probably outside the SEC. Perhaps back to OSU? Daniels will be 100% healthy with a spring practice and will be the starter next year with Beck the first backup. Then Beck and Vanagriff battle for the position in 2022.

If Daniels does not get a year as the starter, it will be difficult to see transfer qb’s coming in the future. CKS’ history with minority qb’s also will cause some to question committing.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2020

Smart: I choose the QB.

Translation: The buck stops with me. I get input from the OC, but if we fail, I take the hit for it.

And I am sure we will see a QB change vs Fla. if we need it. The SECCG is still the goal right now, and the Cocktail Party will be must-win.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I think one of 2 things is going on with the offense. Either:

A) We’re keeping something under wraps. We could have gone far more aggressive against Kentucky, but we were content to ground-and-pound. If we needed to develop players, it would have been a great environment for it. Since we didn’t, it means we have something we’re saving for a rainy day, and hopefully it will be ready when needed.

B) We just don’t have the needed parts this season and we’re doing what we can with what we’ve got. This would be a real kick in the gut if true, as it seems we should be able to get something going with what we have.

I really think the situation is more scenario A, and my only real concern is that, if/when we need to switch QBs, the backup might not be ready due to a lack of game experience with the rest of our guys. But I’ll give the coaches the benefit of the doubt for now.

And to all those freaking out over Bennett: We were leading Alabama at the half, again. Yeah, it’s maddening to continue to see it slip away in the second half, but it’s not like we were getting blown out from the get-go with Bennett as QB.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

#1 Kirby is building QB around the running game still, not RPO..Monken. Bennett fits that one. He can hand off with the best of them.

#2 FL is going to blow UGA off the field Saturday, just like they did a spunky Mizzou team. Oh why? UGA cannot seem to score enough points! That's why. How can Bennett possibly keep up with Trask? Honestly? Trask put up five TDs last weekend. Look at what Mack Jones did? UGA has to contain Trask to be in the game.

#3 Kirby will be sitting with a very disappointed AD Greg McGarity who handles the donor monies and has to listen to the Athletic Assoc. board.

#4 Hope all the above are wrong. Seriously! I hate my gut feeings. Still waiting for that miracle.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 383 ✭✭✭ Junior

1) This offense is going to waste a very good defense, after this year they all are turning pro.

2) Florida is going to kill us!

3) This one people might hate, but Urban Meyer is sitting out there for the taking. Say what you will, but he wins championship every where he goes! Kirby unfortunately is stubborn and not the answer, great recruiter and d-coach, but not a good HC.

• Options
    agent88agent88 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

I'm so sick of our offense. I fell asleep during the UGA - Kentucky game last weekend. Most boring 4 quarters of football that I've ever watched. I don't understand why Kirby won't change quarterbacks. It's not like Stetson is attempting to throw the ball 30 times a game. He handed the ball off to the tailback most of the time. Any of the other quarterbacks can do that... At least they have the arm strength to lengthen the field and every pass attempt won't get batted down at the line of scrimmage. Let's face it, Kirby does not know how to manage the quarterbacks. I wish he would give Monken full control to run the offense and choose the QB.

When Jake Fromm was quarterback, there were many times where UGA was up big and could have given Justin Fields meaningful reps while not putting the game on the line. Instead, Kirby chose to run, run and run when Fields was in the game. Now, Justin Fields will be either the 1st or 2nd draft pick in the NFL. Yet, he wasn't "good enough" to start or even get meaningful snaps at Georgia. Ridiculous!!!

I really don't understand why Mathis, Daniels or Beck are not being given a chance to play. He's going to run them off next year and we'll be starting over again. Let's face it, the only reason why Kirby started Fromm was because Eason got injured. At this point, why would any 5-star quarterback want to come to UGA. To compete... yeah right!!!

UGA is going to get hammered by Florida this weekend because of our head coach. Bad part is that it's not because of lack of talent, it's going to be because of Kirby's stubbornness.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So, Dwan was better then Bennet in preseason until he was yanked from the game, now Bennet is better?

Monken has control but you pick the starting QB? Dang Kirby, you are starting to show your true colors now...Yes, you have made us better but this offense QB issue is your doing and you can't get out of your own way. WELP......here comes the Gators.....if they score 14 -21 points then i guess that's a wrap then huh?

• Options
    Papa_DawgPapa_Dawg Posts: 5 ✭✭ Sophomore

Mike, Why has there not been any discussion about Carson Beck? Is he still with the team? Is he injured? Does he just flat ****? Are you really getting info from Kirby, or just making things up as you go for a paycheck?

• Options
    IowadawgfanIowadawgfan Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

were screwed ladies and gents ,, nothing more to say ,, we will win a few games get beat by bama every year get all of dawgnation hopes and dreams up ,, wait hold on im repeating myself , pretty sure i said the same thing about another head coach years ago,, hence mark richt ..

• Options
    WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

If any of this is true about what was written from the press conference on the qb's then Mathis is gone and won't have to wait next year to play because this is a throw away season. We will be talking about another former UGA QB who has found a way to excel despite not being good enough to play for our Dawgs. This is very disturbing. Another poster stated and I agree that we will never get another 5* QB after Vandergriff as long as Kirby is HC. Dabo, Nick and Ryan Day will all use this as a recruiting tool to keep the best QB's from looking our way.This will be especially true when it comes to recruiting minority QB's. I hope not but reality is about to set in again...

There's no way you can tell me that JT is only good enough to play on the scout team.Who knows, maybe Kieby is having him runUF plays against our 1st team D which will help him run the offense against the UF defense. At least he will know what to look for with their defense since he practice using their offensive plays. It's wishful thinking on my part but as crazy as it sounds, so does CKS for stating Stetson is better than the other three QB's...

Go Dawgs!!!