Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Shooters

Comments

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have an 870 tactical, but no handguns, have been reading this thread for insight on what to purchase. So thanks to all posting for sharing their knowledge and making this yet another incredibly valuable DN thread.

Being the aforementioned noob, what is behind the ammunition shortage? Supply chain/shutdown issues similar to those hitting other industries?

• jc30116jc30116 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Supply chain and shutdown issues and people hoarding what is being shipped. Can order online in some cases depending on what you're looking for but you may be waiting longer than normal for delivery.

Added note to the previous post...if you are persistent enough, you can find what you're looking for. Might take a while but it's out there

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Yep, just this morning I was at a friends farm just outside Moultrie. One of the local gun dealers was advertising ammo with a big sign down by the hwy. You can PM me if you'd like the info.

• mattyp87mattyp87 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

For pistols, if you mean dry firing, reloads etc., that's true enough. If you mean shooting outside, that can be pretty hard to do in many areas.

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good thread here, can somebody explain the attraction to the AR’s and assault / military type rifles ? I’m old school, have a safe full of rifles - bolt action, ( one shot , one kill ) , over/under and sxs shotguns and prob a bakers dozen pistols and many old .22 ‘s ...but I have never found the ARs attractive or seen a practical use for them, not trying to start hate , just trying to learn,

thanks, Skid

• RedFiveRedFive Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ Junior

While it’s not completely realistic snap caps can offer a valuable training method. Reload drills, misfire drills, and mix them in with some live ammo will help you work on your trigger discipline.

For me, it was an experience I had a couple of years ago. Was hunting (was on the ground; didn't have an option of hunting from a stand) and had a bunch of hogs walk out in the field in front of me(closest was about 30 ft away). I had a bolt action and raised up to shoot the closest one when it turned and looked straight at me. Try holding an 8 lb rifle up for a good 20 mins. It becomes a lot heavier. If I had a semi auto I would have taken the shot and been able to get off more than one shot but a bolt action would have given me one maybe two shots before one of them got to me. We have had a couple of club members who have been charged by a hog after they shot it.