Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Tom Crean's Last Year

cardoer1cardoer1 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman
edited January 2021 in Basketball

After watching Georgia lose to UF again at Stegeman I'm convinced if Crean can't get us to the tourney this year he's got to go. People keep making excuses for him but I just keep thinking if we'd done more research and gone for a better coach like Nate Oats or more proven coach like Rick Carlisle we'd be much better off. Players like Dwyane Wade made Crean look smarter than he is. He's underperformed with better talent because he's a decent recruiter but he doesn't teach enough discipline and defense. He's had a couple of really good seasons in the last 20 he's milked for all they're worth. Seeing Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee's success makes the argument that Georgia isn't a basketball school seem really tired. Especially when schools like Florida and Alabama are succeeding in multiple sports. Time to look for a proven championship caliber coach from a smaller league just as Alabama did.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Great first post!

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've pooped all over him before but I'm guessing he'll get one more year.

The buyout situation isn't that great and the team has been more competent with KD Johnson playing.

• mobile_dawg32mobile_dawg32 Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman
    edited January 2021

I see him being in Athens for one more year at least.

I think the hopes for Georgia to get into the tourney took a big dive yesterday. Clearly exposed their weaknesses and I know teams will easily take advantage of it now. You can't just scheme undersized players down low to make up for a lack of size from the last 2-3 years of recruiting.

I think Josh Brooks' next challenge is to start scoping out the future head coach is an increasingly likely contingency for Georgia. That narrative that Georgia is a "football school" just isn't applicable anymore when you start seeing success of other programs. As a whole, the SEC has become a much stronger basketball conference while Georgia is still lagging. Considering the amount of talent that comes from the state of Georgia that ends up at other schools, doesn't help us at all.

Being a head coach in college basketball and having consistent success is tough (looking at Izzo/Calipari), so it's easy to see how Crean has fallen in line with living off of a few select moments where he's shined. This cannot be the case for our next hire if Crean doesn't turn it around.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lots of opinions already posted here if that's what you're looking for.

• MichaelWebbMichaelWebb Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

I doubt he is gone after this year. Georgia is actually on the radar for some high end recruits, which has rarely been the case. That would buy a year or two .

The argument on what other schools are doing in terms of on court success is a valid one. With the level of talent the state of Georgia produces in football, baseball and basketball is elite. If we simply recruit well in state, we should be a top 5 -10 team at the worst across the board. Our ability to then have the profile needed to lure top talent from other regions should have us in title contention every year.

We are seeing this take hold more and more in football and baseball. It needs to be true in basketball as well.

• FloridaSuxFloridaSux Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yea I don't think people understand how garbage the basketball program at UGA has been. These kids want to play for the blue bloods. I think Tom is the guy to earn this program some respect. #1 overall pick is already a pretty good accomplishment.

• ajf611ajf611 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2021

I have to disagree here. We are getting blown out by Auburn, Miss. St. and really any decent team we play. These are not blue bloods but yet they are getting really good players. He did get AE to come for a year but still no results on the court. Our only two SEC wins are against the worst KY team in a long time and Ole Miss. With as much talent in GA, we should be more competitive. We probably will keep him another year, but probably delaying the inevitable. I would love to be wrong but I just don’t think Crean is the guy.

• dawg_fan_66dawg_fan_66 Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

And I agree with you. They are not even competitive most games against decent opposition. While we did get the #1 overall pick to stop by for a year, it was more luck that he happened to be from the state. What did we or he get out of it? He may have been the #1 pick out of HS.

• FloridaSuxFloridaSux Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

I definitely agree we should have already been taking advantage of the talent instate, but that was well before Crean. UGA neglected the basketball team for way too long. I'm glad you brought up Auburn because they're a pretty good parallel program wise to UGA. Pearl didn't get Auburn going until his 4th season. The recruiting has been solid. We desperately need some bigs. If CTC can get some in, I feel good with the 1 and 2. You know he will always have good guards.

• HipdawgHipdawg Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just like quarterbacks, I guess I like tall basketball players.lol .Seems bewildering that is a reason or excuse for the lack of success.

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Crean's position is particularly precarious now that Brooks is the AD...new AD makes it easier to go in a different direction while giving a HC an out of "new AD wanted to go in a different direction" for his next interview at another school.

• mobile_dawg32mobile_dawg32 Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

Georgia is in a tough spot for their basketball program. It's not typically a destination where a highly successful mid-major coach would move to (could happen under right circumstances). But Georgia is definitely a destination where if they took a chance on a younger or less-established coach, and they had some success, they would absolutely go to a program with a bigger fanbase.

So here we have Crean, which is the type of coach I think Georgia would attract (or the SEC in general). A previously established coach who's fallen out of grace. Honestly, I think it's the best we can do for now until we start showing measured improvement as a program in general. It all starts with recruiting to be honest.

Biggest disappointment to me is that we haven't been able to ride the momentum of recruiting Ant-Man. You would think the floodgates would be open for us to grab more 5-stars, but alas.

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ant -Man was pretty much going to be a top draft pick before he went to UGA. Now he's not there. So there's not much to attract a blue chipper like him. If the blue chipper is like Ant-Man, he'll go to the draft anyway. I don't know how to evaluate how much Crean helped him get to the league. So I don't know how much other recruits think he can help them get there.

• EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When you see Alabama ranked at #9 in basketball something is wrong..

• ajf611ajf611 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

I try not to overreact but Crean needs to go. That was embarrassing. I never thought I would say this, but I miss Fox. That SC team that just destroyed us is not a good team. Pathetic effort and that is on the coach.

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do not think that you can compare us to Auburn though. Pearl is the dirtiest player in the game. A hypocrite who turned in people for cheating as an assistant coach and has been nailed 3 times as a head coach. He got kids into Auburn with the $, I do not think Crean has. Then Pearl made Chuck Person the fall guy. I am not happy with our production either but would take Crean for a million years over Pearl.