Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Opinion: Stockton-Vandagriff is not same QB situation as Jake Fromm and Justin Fields

2»

Comments

• TFgodawgsTFgodawgs Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Let’s not forget Carson Beck. I’m as excited as everyone else about the shinny new recruits, but am also thankful for the guys who have been here learning the system and putting in work!!

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Fields's two years at OSU shows he should not have sit behind Jake for two years. He did the ABSOLUTE right thing by transferring and I don't regret that Fromm was QB1 for three years. I regret he wasn't QB1 for 4 years. They both had great college careers and come April, they'll both be in the NFL. Based on their stated childhood dreams of being NFL QB's, it's a win-win for both.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with the topic of the article , it's not the same situation but I do believe what Kirby decides to do with his stable of QB's moving forward in the 2022 season will come to define his tenure at UGA. In that regard it will be much bigger than the Fields-Fromm deal.

Kirby's choosing between Beck-Vandergriff-Stockton (barring injuries or transfers ) could come to define his coaching legacy. Choose the wrong guy and one of the other 3 goes somewhere else and has greater success than the guy you decided to go with wont be a good look for him. Imagine Kirby goes with Brock and Gunner goes to Oklahoma and wins the Natty there? OMG He'll never live that down.

Kirby has to get this one right. Remember though , he chose Dwan over Stetson for Arkansas.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's kind of a fair point, except that you have to introduce a stipulation to make it. Yes, starting quarterbacks do lose their job to injury, but it doesn't happen very often - see, well, Fromm never missing a game in 3 years. If going into the 2022 season, Vandagriff is a firmly established starter that led his team to the national title game, then the situation will be similar to the Fromm-Fields one. But we're quite a ways from seeing that play out, so it's hard to say right now that there's no difference in the scenarios. And even if that situation were to occur, I still don't think it would be quite the same. Vandagriff and Stockton are similarly rated as recruits, whereas Fields came in with the cache of the #1/#2 overall player below a former 4-star on the depth chart. So in the case of Vandagriff-Stockton, I don't think there would be the clamor for the backup to be handed the job like we saw with Fromm-Fields.

• RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Realize this - elite QBs are coming - each and every year! Go Dawgs!

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is one additional point that I haven’t seen mentioned. Brock and Gunner both have fathers who are longtime successful coaches. These parents value and understand the concept of fair competition and waiting your turn in line. I sincerely believe we will see some great parenting take place when one of these 2 players gets frustrated, unlike the parenting several former QBs experienced. It also helps that both players grew up within a few miles of Athens. This was not the case for Eason (Washington), Mathis (Michigan) and to some extent Fields (Atlanta area). I agree we are not comparing apples with the Eason, Fromm and Fields fiascos because Gunner and Brock can handle the competition. Go Dawgs!!!

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think the comment about "parenting" is spot on. The qb who left us had a father that saw being drafted after 3 years as the ultimate goal for playing college football. I believe that Vandergriff and Stockton have parents that value the education that their sons will receive as much as moving on to the pros and that will make a huge difference in the decision making of both in terms of staying and competing.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What refrences show proof of your claims JT was healthy earlier than stated? I'd like to see them..

• RedUga4EverRedUga4Ever Posts: 28 ✭ Freshman

I like the comment made from "kirkhilles" about Kirby picking the safe choice of who knows the playbook best. We do seem to play the QB (see Stetson/Fromm) that makes few mistakes, but when you need that super masterful throw for an important third down or score, he does not have the athletic ability to pull it off. That said, I am stunned beyond belief at our QB room. Make it count while you have it!

• maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's obvious that the fan base have different opinions about how Kirby handled the previous 3 qbs. No matter how we feel about him, he's still the hc so lets talk about solutions that could inspire him to make better decisions. I have a few things in mind that could make a difference and certainly how he should utilize 2 five star qbs to keep them from transferring.

1 - Brock Vandagriff gets the first 71/2 mins and Gunner Stockton the last 71/2 mins in the first 3 quarters. Whoever has the best performance plays in the 4th quarter. *Beck could transfer if he doesn't play this season.

2 - Make Will Muschamp Co DC and let him run that defense. The guy knows how to build a dominant defense.

3 - If Kirby wants to keep rotating his running backs, rotate them as I have aforementioned in #1. I prefer one premier back and if I had to choose one of them, it would be DAIJUN EDWARDS! Don't get me wrong, I like all of them but DE brings a lot more to the table to me. I need to see more of KM.

You're entitle to your disingenuous remark. I have never voted anyone down and don't plan to. I'm just interested in what others have to say. Becareful…." whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap"

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

We have not started the 2021 season, but we are talking about 2022? Let slow down and smell the roses and hope JT does what we hope he will do! If we are let down in 2021 then lets start talking Beck, Van, and Gunner!

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think Kirby is throwing Muschamp a bone with this analyst role. Lanning will probably be offered a hc job at a smaller school, at which time, muschamp can take over defense and work with his friend, Kirby. That's a pair that would probably stay together for a while.

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I met Justin Fields’ mom outside the Hampton Inn in Baton Rouge as me and my buddy waited for the Uber to take us to campus on that game day in 2018.

We told her that we LOVED her son. When we did, she asked us how we felt about Jake Fromm. At that point, we obviously loved Fromm an awful lot too, and said so.

Ms. Fields replied with a doubtful “mmm-hmm” to that.

We then watched UGA get blown out in a game we were expected to win, with Fromm playing the worst game of his career and Fields barely seeing the field at all.

Although Ms. Fields didn’t say it outright, it is obvious in retrospect that she, and certainly Justin, were already perturbed with the situation.

I believe Smart did mostly the right thing in the Fromm-Fields saga. That said, I agree that it would be interesting to see what would have happened if Fields played the 2nd half that day in Red Stick.

The last 4 season Kirby's defense has giving up 98 points to bama and lsu in the 2nd half of those games. He's 0-5 against them. Muschamp track record as a DC is solid and as an on field coach he might be what the team needs to elevate the defense to elite status.

P.S. In 1942 Frank Sinkwich-QB and Charley Trippi-QB won a national championship together. Wally Butts knew how to utilize them. Every team that had two 5 star qbs eventually loss 1 to the transfer portal. I hope Stockton-Vandagriff can coexist and win some national championships for their home state together. 

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just as I thought..nothing more than speculation with not 1 shred of a fact in your claims.