Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

No Journalistic Integrity

BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is not yet another shot at Tennessee (too easy), but rather at Yahoo, which is supposed to be a reputable new outlet. They said that Roc Taylor, was a 4 star TE. He is not. He is a 3 star WR. How do you make such a glaring mistake? No retraction, nothing. Nick Bromberg and Yahooo, y'all are terrible. This is why people have a very difficult time believing media.

Comments

• ETaSkyETaSky Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Well, he is not according to 247Composite, but

Regardless whether you deem rivals.com as reputable or not.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

Rivals tends to under rate players, they are not as bad as ESPN is. The 247 composites are pretty accurate IMHO and that is what I look at although they are not perfect either.

• ETaSkyETaSky Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

I don't disagree. I just feel OP calling out journalistic integrity may be misled. I hope people would be a little bit more calm down and be kind/nice to others.

• Dawg2004Dawg2004 Posts: 38 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yahoo owns Rivals and is going to use those rankings, which has him as a 4 star.

247 and ESPN do the same in their articles.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No argument from me, I agree with your post and sadly @kasey is correct. The times of "Journalistic Integrity" are long gone.

Sadly, this is a blip on the radar of what is really going on in the recruiting world. I have been told by an "Anyonmus source" has been taken to the well soo many times, that bucket doesn't even hold water anymore. 2 D1 College baseball players, who live in my neighborhood were talking about how much visibility football gets in the press. I asked them if it bothered them, the lack of coverage, the answer was NO. The amount of "inside scoop" and watching what you say in public is ridiculous for all things football.

These are the same "Beat reporters" who will report anything to get recognized and when it comes time to retract, all they do is remove it or delete it, maybe and without a correction or apology.

I will say that Thomas Goldkamp - UF beat writer, who blows up Mullen every chance he can get, (which I truly enjoy) just came out with this when responding to his facts being checked, "when you used to have a pretty clear distinction between reporter and columnist. I'm not sure that distinction, in actual practice, exists anymore.

"But the issue is journalism has really, really muddled the lines between attempted unbiased journalism and presentation of the facts and truth and edging journalists into also trying to provide analysis, which leads you down the cohesive narrative path and the problems that it adds."

So they know its problem or its wrong, but don't care if it impacts an 18-year-old kid who is trying to fulfill his dream! We have allowed it to get this bad, maybe this is the new normal! No more reporting, just a lot of OP-ED!

• RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I actually like to view both 247 & Rivals and get a balance between the two. Much more reputable than ESPN. Remember also that 247 is "slightly biased" in regards to Bama due likely to the origination of the site, so Rivals imo helps level the recruiting industry where it is not isolated.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To me, it is offensive that you clog up the Dawgnation forum, which is supposed to be about football, with your accusations of fake news. Worse, you were wrong. You may not like the Rivals ranking, I don't know, but Roc Taylor is a 4 star TE on the Rivals ranking.

Let's keep this forum on football.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BaxleydawgBaxleydawg Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting that you expect integrity in Journalism. Did you just come out of a bomb shelter you been in since the Cold War? 😅

Just teasing ya

There are a few like Sentell and Dawgnation staff but not many.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So the guy who lies about journalistic integrity gets upvoted and when I say I am offended that someone brings politics to the Dawgnation forum with posts about journalists rather than football I get downvoted??

@texdawg This is why I said I don't feel I belong on the Dawgnation forum. I think the moderators try to keep politics out of the forum, but the original post of this thread is more about politics than it is Georgia football.

I love being part of the Dawgnation and supporting our team, our players and our future players. But I either need to accept a certain level of downvotes or just stay quiet when I see stuff like this. Either way, it makes this place a whole lot less fun and why I participate less and less. Maybe this is goodbye and my last post on Dawgnation. In fact, I think I just decided. It is because this is not a welcome place for all Dawg fans focused on the Dawgs. It's very sad that even something as apolitical as supporting the Dawgs is not immune to the divisiveness afflicting our nation.

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    1. You find it offensive? Really?! My take on an article offends you? Wow. So many places that I could go with this but I will take the high road. Offensive...ok.
    2. "Clog up the DawgNation forum, which is supposed to be about football". Nope. I posted it under "General". What about the posts that "clog up" the forum that are about basketball, baseball, and tennis? What about recruiting? That's not football.

I find your accusation to be, wait for it, almost offensive.