Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Got gas?

Comments

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ohh y'all just want to get rid of unemployment insurance entirely. That's crazy

• Options

Koch Industries owns the largest share of the colonial pipeline at 28%. Koch Brothers lobbied about $40,000,000 to get the trump tax cuts. They got a $1,000,000,000 yearly tax break and a weakened estate tax on each of their $48,000,000,000+ estates. We don't live in the same world.

• Options
    Clean_OF_HateClean_OF_Hate Posts: 175 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BaxleydawgBaxleydawg Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Nope, but programs like this are designed for people who really need them . When you are scamming the system you are taking benefits from people who need it, hurting the future of our country, and just being lazy. I’m proud to support those truly in need . But I don’t need to support a grown ass man that will not take the 60,000 a year job I’m offering him because he’s still getting his $637 unemployment. True story btw.

I give you an example on social security disability. True story. My cousin and his wife both found a doctor to sign off that they are disabled. They both get a check. Yet they both work under the table for my uncle and other people for extra cash. They ride horses, garden, fish, and hunt. Sometimes I’m tempted to turn them in if I was a narc. They are taking benefits that are for those in need. Not a sorry ass scamming fool.

• Options

Good points. It’s clear there’s a labor shortage to those of us in the business community.

• Options

Why keep saying $600 when you don't want the extra $300 from the federal gov? Seems pretty clear you just want no unemployment insurance.

• Options

Yeah super believable someone turned down $60,000 for $30,000 for no reason other than to be lazy. Biden admin also re-implemented the rule where if you turn down a job you lose unemployment.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Turn down a job, then lose unemployment? Not Likely.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We all live in different worlds.

If the numbers posted here are correct, why are we worried about the Feds being reimbursed for services? It would be like buying a house, and then complaining that you had to pay for a welcome mat...

Anyone claiming they understand the world that others live in, while simultaneously preaching that others do not understand them seems hard to listen to.

For instance, in my small bubble, their is a huge labor shortage in many industries. Staying at home and earning what amounts to a $30K a year salary vs. working for what amounts to a $50k salary has been happening. I have spoken to WAY TOO MANY younger people who have said as much. I am not saying this truth is reality in other people's bubble. But it is in mine.

The argument - AGAIN - isn't black and white. Gracious at the extremes ( I feel like we are reading Twitter here sometimes). It isn't an argument of whether or not unemployment insurance should exist. IN THE REAL WORLD, it's the razor thin balance of HOW MUCH people should get. You have to provide support, but not discourage working. It's complicated. That's why we need both sides of the aisle to constantly debate it.

The pipeline shutting down would not have even been a supply issue if people didn't go all "toilet paper" on the gas stations this week... and this is not a new phenomenon... Say the word "snow" in the south, and then try to find a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk...

Not sure if, every time it snows, we should say "Dang private bread companies! Millions of us depend on them, don't they know! Audit them now! Make sure they are paying their due monies!"

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2021

A little off topic, but I wonder how many of Dawgnation members were like me and worked at a gas station in their youth?

In 1970, when I was 16 or 17, I worked at a Clark gas station. And the next year, my dad helped me and my brother get summer jobs at the Amoco station (back in those days Standard) on the Ill tri-state tollway. We were part of a group known as "college kids".

Interestingly, several of the guys were Active (or retired) Navy from the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in nearby North Chicago.

We had this one guy, about 60. Retired Chief. Barney. And that was his last name. But everyone called him Barney.

Well let's just say it was quite an education. I never met someone who had such "colorful" language. The saying "cussed like a sailor" was never in question here. Ornery, but nonetheless likeable, Barney claimed to always have "A few fingers" of his favorite whiskey V.O. every morning before work. And his shift started at 5A. What a way to kickoff your morning.

It was a glorious time. Everything was full serve in those days. So we had teams of guys, as many as ten guys serving large crowds returning from stock car racing in Southern Wisconsin.

A retired Chief who served in WWII, Barney was on a ship that went down and was one of just five survivors.

• Options
    donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Continuing the off-topicness, I worked several summers and weekends at my dad's service station. It was his 2nd job - he'd work there after he got home from work. I was (and am) a klutz at mechanical things, much to his dismay. I once tried to back a car off the hydraulic lift after draining the oil. Never occurred to me to replace the oil before I backed it out. Fortunately, he stopped me before I could start the car.

One Sunday AM I was filling a customer's car with gas when I heard a fluttering sound. I felt up on my head and there was a parakeet - it landed on my head. We kept him, named him Willie Mac, after Willie McCovey, and my grand mon taught him to "talk". Lots of fond memories from those days in the service station.

• Options
    donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2021

I do recall gas wars where the price dropped to $.17 per gallon. Fill 'er up and give some change back from 2 dollars. Crazy. And I still had to check the oil and clean the windshield - even for .17 per gallon.