Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

NFL National Anthem...why is it so hard to do correctly?

2»

Comments

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I also stand and face the flag covering my heart. It’s a sense of patriotism for me. And yes I was taught this and really in a sense taught to feel this way. It’s a personal thing for me. But I agree with your logic that citizens of this country have the freedom to demonstrate how they feel any way they desire as long as it’s not unlawful. And I agree that many just aren’t taught the correct way to do it. Doesn’t mean they are trying to be disrespectful. But to your point, I agree, many fought and died so people have the freedom to kneel or whatever during the anthem. I have an opinion but I will never push my beliefs on someone else, especially if they feel strongly about their position. Doesn’t mean I agree with them, just their freedom to do so.

• BangersBangers Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do they have the freedom to do that? Absolutely. Is it disrespectful? Absolutely.

Should we remove it as a tradition before major sporting events and other public gatherings like county fairs and other competitions? Absolutely not.

These are team sports - they directly reflect our need to lean on each other in community (and as a nation) in order to realize both our individual and common dreams.

If we remove this one fundamental ritual that re-enforces that core belief that freedom is a right worth fighting for from our societal structures and norms, we further dilute what little is left of nationalism, deteriorate the value in community, and propagate the fallacy that mine is all that matters.

We should DEFINITELY do more. Agree 100%! There are tones of great opportunities out there to choose from. You could contribute to one of the many great funds out there, volunteer to help a vet event, support a vet owned business, or just buy a vet a beer. But for those that aren't so inclined to donate their time or money, they could and should at least do the bare minimum which is to take the moment to say thank you and to stand and salute honorably when the song meant to honor them is played.

Last summer my family took a short beach trip to Cape May. They have an amazing tradition there where they honor a fallen veteran on Sunset Beach. The national anthem is played as a part of the brief ceremony for every sunset between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Its extremely moving and beautiful. I highly recommend any and all check it out if the opportunity ever presents.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

I read somewhere that we have the only national anthem that is about war, plus it's not very good. I think something like America The Beautiful would be a better representation of this country, it's people and it's actually crowd friendly, it's singable.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do it, because I was taught how to do it, by my Parents, Aunts and Uncles and Grand Parents and yes, my teachers too!

I am part of a Huge Norwegian family and they all understand the cost of freedom and have no problem smacking the crap out of you for not showing them respect, let alone our flag!

Oh, by the way, my kids and their cousins know what to do when the 1st note is hit, because we taught them, just like we were taught!

I believe in it, but I believe in it so much, I am not offended by those who choose not to honor our flag and country, but I do not associate myself at that level, it is that same freedom that is awarded to them!

@pgjackson (AKA Carnac the Magnificent) are you going to look into your crystal ball, and tell me what is going to happen on Saturday night (the more exact, the better the odds, just sayin), Rent is do next week and I need to win some money!!!

• JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ehhh! Doesn't bother me a ton...

It's actually on par with what I see in real life. I guess it depends on where you are in the country and the accepted norms for that area.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Eh... being distracted or not standing at perfect attention doesn't bother me as much as outright disrespect for the notoriety. I tend to stop giving attention to those seeking it by acting out negatively.

• SSN751SSN751 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭ Junior

You forgot option 3, which is, keep your cover (hat) on and render a proper salute.