Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart sounds on Georgia football quarterback situation after SEC championship game defeat

SystemSystem Posts: 10,466 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart sounds on Georgia football quarterback situation after SEC championship game defeat

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart shared his thoughts on the Georgia football quarterback situation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    cbp1947cbp1947 Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Junior

JT needs to start. Period. We need elite QB play which we don’t have with Stet. I love Stet and I am so glad that we have had him this season, but we need elite play when we play a team with comparable talent. The D needs to play a whole lot better too. Cant have busted coverages like that.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Alabama came to play and was ready. Young is an elite QB, Bennett isn't. Saban had his OL dialed in to our defensive schemes, they picked them up with consistent regularity. In case you missed it, Saban had his OL "dialed" in to our defensive schemes. We got our butts handed to us.

Hopefully we get another shot....

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Putting the best spin on this mess, the message is clear. Not elite.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bennett....be gone......poof! You will Never beat Bama. Kirby either, the way he coaches against them. A superior offense BEATS a superior defense every time. Saban is laughing his hat off now...as I write. He knows UGA will never beat him. Kirby Smart needs to let go of Stetson Bennett...let JT try, Kirby.....just give him a chance... forget this feet do the talking stuff...Bennett miscued when he needed not to miscue the most...poor judgement.....Kirby as well....UGA was not prepared to win. Bama was quicker and slicker in every way. Monken, Luke, etc.....ill prepared this team to beat Bama. I personally do not believe UGA should make the play-offs...that was too bad a beating....UGA is not elite. Not top 5. They proved it today. I see so much of Richt in Kirby still. Great guys but not elite. Saban is elite. He won with an inferior team.....coaching. He has won multiple national titles for a reason.

Forget #JT2NYC...forget it.

• Options
    JudgeDog31JudgeDog31 Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

With better defense, the QB might not have been an issue. The converse is also true; with better QB play, the defense would have had a better chance as the pressure would have been on Bama instead of UGA. Kirby must truly be open to change, or there will never be any change in the results in these big game. Hard to believe JT not given a chance in the second half. Either he’s aweful in practice, or our coach isn’t being objective. I think it might be the latter.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

It wasn't on Bennett. Where was the elite defense? This is on Kirby and his defensive staff. They haven't learned yet to protect the middle of the field against Bama. Nick just have Kirby number. I guess that's what happen when you spend majority of your coaching years with one coach. The defense didn't adjust. Terrible secondary play. Talk about that instead of trying to make Bennett the scape goat. The defense didn't hold up their end. It is all about coaching and Kirby got out coached again.

• Options
    Scottdobbs01Scottdobbs01 Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

We don't deserve to be in the playoffs period. Until we start playing better in the secondary and God lovem Bennett but JT is a five star and Stetson is not.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Georgia fans only have to look on the other sideline to see what having a true difference-maker at the quarterback position looks like. "

Heck, all I had to do is look at our bench where JT Daniels was standing!!!!

• Options
    Turkeywarrior911Turkeywarrior911 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

I’ve been behind Stetson this season. I have to drop out. There is a reason Clemson beat Bama. Not once but twice. Defenses don’t win Nattys anymore. Tonight proved that. Two Wr and a 5 star QB wins every year. I was dead wrong on my score predictions and stunned. I’m not sure why but it’s clear. If we do get in and we want to win two more games. We better be able to put up 50 points each game. We better learn to put the ball in the end zone 9 out of 10 drives. Those teams that beat Bama beat them with elite offenses. More importantly pro QBs. Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawerence, Joe Burrows. The years Bama won. Jalen Hurts, Tua, Mac Jones. One common theme- Pro QB in the NFL. No one. Not one person has said that Stetson was starting in the NFL. Offense has the coach. We have the receivers. We just don’t have the QB for whatever reason.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am just convinced that Kirby cannot be Nick

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

3 or 4 man pass rush will not work against Bama....Auburn demonstrated how to beat them.... Man coverage and Everyone else goes after the QB the ENTIRE game,,,, not just midway through 3rd quarter

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2021

I am a fan of Stetson Bennett and I believe he has done great things as and for the Dawgs but he has faced one good team this year and he failed. And don't tell me he threw for 300+yards. No, his receivers ran for 300+ yards or made great catches.

Yes, I blame a lot on game planning because when we needed to stretch the field, we would hand off. We had some good runs early but we needed the long ball. Especially at the end. Both prior times alabama has beat us in post season has been AFTER they switched quarterbacks. Why were we afraid to do that? Bennett didn't beat Daniels out in competition. He got the start after Daniels was hurt. He was never better, he was just healthy. I don't need a running quarterback. That is why I have running backs. If running isn't working for them, I needed someone with a quick trigger and a strong, accurate arm,

I do not know that we would have won with a different QB today because our defense was atrocious. Again, this was the first really good team we have played. And alabama was jacked for the game because they knew they HAD to win. According to everything you read, we were in, regardless and we played like it.

But dang it, we had our number one quarterback standing on the sidelines the entire game, and that is inexcusable.

• Options
    T_DawgT_Dawg Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Name an elite defense that beat bama...that’s right it’s been offensive teams that beat bama. Defense was a big letdown for sure but we gotta be able to score and move the ball. Seems like every time we play bama our offense leaves the defense on the field so much of the game against an elite bama offense and idc who you are your not winning like that.

• Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

You got to play quarterbacks during the year and throw the ball in the 4th quarter to build chemistry and give guys confidence and opportunities. Stetson had 11 pass attempts the entire year in the 4th quarter of all 12 games till tonight. You’re not going to hold Bama to 14 points. Will need at least 40 to have a chance. I love Stet as a competitor, but IMO you’re not winning a NC with him. He’s reached his ceiling. Stop being hardheaded CKS

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Call it a Mater Dei game. One Mater Dei QB = Heisman Trophy.

The other Mater Dei QB (w/a better resume) = on the UGA sideline.

• Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2021

Oh and I forgot