Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart sounds on Georgia football quarterback situation after SEC championship game defeat

Comments

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For those who didn't get the reference, both Bryce Young and JT Daniels were Mater Dei QBs. JT + top QB in the nation as a Sophomore (won the unofficial National Title) and then Gatorade National Player of the Year as a Junior. Broke all of Matt Barkley's records. A QB factory superstar but Kirby Smart simply can't deal with it or handle the QB position.

And uh, no, I'm not looking to Brandon or Jeff Sentell for analysis. They're still on the "coaches know best" hamster wheel and don't know a quarterback from a kumquat.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

" I certainly have a lot of confidence in Stetson and I have a lot of confidence in JT (Daniels) too." end quote

Ok, so why isn't the guy playing through the year to try to stay sharp in case we need him like we did in this game?

You got some explaining to do Lucy.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

We could at least tried to jam them at the line and we didn't even try.

What would it have hurt?

• Options
    traildawg51traildawg51 Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

I live and die with Georgia football. I am as disappointed as anybody. We played our worst game of the year and Bama played their best. I will say this, Stetson Bennett did not lose that game and JT Daniels would not have won it. Anybody who thinks different is delusional.

• Options
    KeepChoppingKeepChopping Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

This quote from Kirby right here: “We have to be able to run the ball and have a little bit of semblance of balance...I feel like there were times tonight where we were getting into a scoring contest because our defense didn’t get stops. You don’t want to have to do that.”

This gives me very little hope that he'll ever learn. Bama had 421 yds receiving vs 112 rushing. You call that "balance" Kirby? Forget balance, you do what it takes to win. And guess what? You're *going* to get into "scoring contests", like it or not, "want to" or not. It happens, part of the game. Demonstrate that there's a brain in your skull beyond recruiting, and show some professional growth.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been in Bennett's corner longer than most... and for me the project is over. It's not even a physical thing either. He can make all the throws right. It's mental. When things get tight and everything is on the line, he folds. Whatever the opposite of Clutch is, that's Bennett. And it's far from being just his fault that we laid an egg too.

I don't want a coach to be driven by fan opinion, but the rumblings will be loud for a QB change now. If SB has lost me, he's probably lost the majority. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bennett was lucky that he wasn't intercepted four times. He continues to throw the ball up for grabs in a panic. Time for a change. We'll never know how good this team is until Daniels gets the ball. We could have yet another Heisman candidate sitting on the bench.

Eventually, Kirby will learn that being a perennial #2 will not be tolerated. I just hope we don't wait 15 years like the last time.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bennett's continued bad play under pressure had a lot to do with us losing this game. A lot. Kirby has got to get over his affinity for short QBs with feel good stories while future and potentially future Heisman candidates sit on the bench.

Saban has made the transition to the new state of football where offense wins championships, not defense. Until he makes the transition, we will be a perennial #2. Right now, he is becoming the most underperforming 11 win average coach in football.

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

I totally agree. I've been on Bennett's corner as the 2nd best QB on the team, and trusted that Kirby and the coaches were only playing Bennett while JT was hurt, trying to give him time to heal up properly. However, once he was fully healed, I thought he should've started....and if not, that he should have at least been given the opportunities to play the rest of the way, once we've built a double digit lead in previous games, so he can stay ready at all times.

• Options

Completely agree. Except on the WR's. Our WR's just don't get open like those guys at Bama do. Bama's DB's were absolutely molesting our receivers all night too. But they should get open sometimes.

• Options

In all fairness, I don't blame Kirby for sticking with Stetson. He looked great. It wasn't until Bama that things just collapsed. Now if Kirby plays him in the next game...

• Options
    KeithDogKeithDog Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Stick a fork in Smart and Bennet.

Smart wanted a mobile QB. Heck when we had Fields he decided to go with Fromm?

Smart will never learn, and Ga will never win a championship with Smart coaching. Bennett must be licking Smart back side, why else is he playing QB for Ga.

Before we give Smart a pile of money and extent his contact, a clause should be written that if he cannot win a National Championship his contract will be terminated.

I'm so done with the coaching blunders at Ga. I love this team and will always do so, but I can't take anymore of Smarts lacking common sense.

• Options
    OCFootballOCFootball Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Imagine if Georgia had put in Bryce Young's talented HIGH SCHOOL MENTOR from Mater Dei who was the Gatorade Player of the Year and on the Cover of Sports Illustrated his junior year of high school....oh he was sitting on the UGA sidelines #JTDaniels😫😣

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Lanning can leave anytime. Kirby runs the D, along with muschamp. Lanning is their water boy.