Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What does that mean? Shouldn't it mean that we treat someone accused of a crime as if they're innocent, until they're proven guilty in court of law?

Is suspending a player from the team appropriate?

Frankly, I don't know if Adam Anderson is innocent or not. I haven't seen the evidence, and don't know the guy. But if we followed the Bill of Rights, wouldn't we allow him to carry on with his life until he's been proven guilty.

If he's acquitted his life has been altered. He has been damaged. Frankly if he's acquitted I think his accusers should face some sort of consequence.

Comments

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good point! But you already know the answer! The risk of him being convicted, even if it is 1%, is too daunting to overlook. Remember, this is entertainment, not to be confused and it could crush the program if they make the wrong decision! In this day and age, they are canceled before they are convicted and canceled if they aren't!

There are consequences, but it doesn't include an NFL contract in the settlement, if that is what you meant!

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Innocent until proven guilty only applies to actual trial itself. In the eyes of the jury, the defendant must start out as innocent and the prosecution must prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the defendant is guilty of the crime. The jury cannot start out assuming that he has been charged, therefore, he must have done it. It does not mean that there are not consequences of being accused of a crime outside of the court of law.

People lose their jobs or are suspended from their jobs everyday while the legal process plays itself out.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, innocent until proven guilty ONLY applies to the courts and for potential jurors to avoid bias. I'm not a lawyer, but I took business law classes in college many moons ago and I remember discussing something like this. The case of William Kennedy Smith was happening at the time...I remember the media giving him a pass, and making fun of the victim, Patricia Bowman. WKS was acquitted of all charges, even though there was physical evidence...he said the sex was consensual and, apparently, the jury believed him.

Even though several women said that he had done the same thing to them years before. The judge didn't allow this in the case.

The safe thing is definitely to distance as much as possible, as much as I hate it in case the accused is truly innocent.

• QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess I understand the risk, but shouldn't we assume innocent before proven guilty.

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

didnt his attorney present the case to uga admin and it didn’t help? I guess there’s enough of a question mark to keep him out. If this was professional sports he’d be suspended too until resolved. I wish it would get resolved quickly either way but it will probably drag out for a while

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Okay now don't get me started on this one.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

So far this thread is good. Just don't let it go you know where....

The photo of AA shackled in his Orange Jumpsuit was sickening. Now IF he is guilty by a) means he should be punished to the fullest extent of Georgia law but these are just allegations and he's in a cage like an animal over some allegations. Is that what innocent until proven guilty means.

• WtkWtk Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The alternative would be for every person accused of rape to be free until a jury convicts. Innocent until proven guilty means unless a jury convicts you, you will be set free,

• TThisDawggTThisDawgg Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

That orange jumpsuit would make nuns and monks quilty as soon as the jury sees it.

• markrichtermarkrichter Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He is out on bail.And yes that is what it means. It means when you are tried you are presumed innocent and the burden of proof is on the prosecution. It is up to the court to decide if you get bail depending on the charges. Once bail is set its up to the defendant to post it. He did and is out of jail. The sytem worked like it was intended to.

• philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nothing quite like going thru the delouse process in jail. Don't know if this is still done as I have put those days behind me, hopefully.

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What’s the hold up in the case. Or better yet what’s the timeframe in something like this. Seems like very few witnesses and phone records are about all you have to work through.

• markrichtermarkrichter Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not totally sure but i do know that the court system is backed up due to covid. Also with another person coming to light as a possible victim both sides have to investigate that as well. No timeline set as far as i know but i expect it will not be settled for a while.

Okay so why do I have to pay someone to b free if it hasn't been PROVEN that I've committed a crime. Someone out to make a little $$$ off of presumably innocent people maybe. Yeah I think so, and people who say crime doesn't pay is a liar, it pays the judge, lawyers, prosecutors, court reporters and a lot of other people.

• TThisDawggTThisDawgg Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

1.5yrs minimum to reach verdict IMO

Not that AA committed any crime mind u because I have not witnessed a thing.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Over/under on how many pages this one lasts? I'll give it 3.

One things for sure, this defense got a little worse with his dismissal.