Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia quarterback JT Daniels expected to enter the transfer portal

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Here’s a thought for the folks who constantly bash Kirby for how he’s handled the QB situation at UGA over the past 5 years. Exactly what games would have had a different outcome if Eason and Fields had stuck around and if JT had been healthy? Please don’t say the Florida game last year because Bennett had us ahead by 14 before he was injured and Fields was beaten worse last year by Bama than Bennett was. Several years ago the Texas loss in the Sugar bowl and Bama loss in the SEC CG were in a large part due to issues caused by Fields. Eason likely wouldn’t have done better than Fromm over his career even if he had stayed healthy. And clearly we would have gotten smashed by LSU in the SEC CG no matter who was QB. Just asking a simple question because some folks are bashing our QB management without realizing there wouldn’t have been many wins that were losses ……if any. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    T_DawgT_Dawg Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Stetson Bennet is why we have all these high profile WRs wanting to come to uga..oh wait...

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You don't understand. Smart mentioned numerous times how JT was great and yada, yada. If Bennett would've gotten hurt, JT would've come right in. Vandagriff wasn't ever mentioned, got one pass all year and played with the 2's. If Smart didn't trust JT he would've had Vandagriff more ready to go as a backup.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, all those great receivers came here because of our 5-star QBs….oh wait….

• Options

I couldn't imagine us getting a high profile QB in the next few years.

As a QB, you are far better off finding a program with excellent WRs that make you look good + an O-line to match. Play in games where you might lose 55-45: who cares, you threw for 6 TDs.

Just look at 2021. Fields dropped down to 4th QB taken while the #2 pick was from BYU and the 3rd was North Dakota State.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Not about championships anymore. It is about NIL, branding and "professional development". I applaud the class JTD showed this season sticking around to the end even if only as insurance. He is fully healthy now (knee's take 2 years) and he will do well somewhere next year. One of the more interesting things about CFB is the constant turnover of players. Only AL consistently reloads. CKS is getting to that level recruiting. This years Champs will be next years contenders.

• Options

If all of our QBs were to enter the transfer portal (since there is no commitment), here's how I'd think it'd play out:

• JT Daniels - As soon as he gets put into the Portal, his phone will be ringing off the hook. He'll have offers from just about every major program. I suspect that his Draft position will rise significantly after next year
    • Bennett - There would be SOME interest given his excellent numbers this year, but not as much as you might think for a QB that just won a NC. He would get far more interest compared with Jones County Junior college and likely get interest from Top 15 schools, but I doubt any serious playoff contenders would consider him
    • Beck - I'd imagine (and likely we'll find out) similar response to Bennett, but more schools would be open to him as long as he understood that he's not a guaranteed starter. 4 star, 9th best Pro Style QB will get at least some attention
    • Vandagriff - Obvious interest for all programs.

It should be noted that the Top 2 QBs of 2021 (Ewers and Caleb) BOTH have transferred, so this is a disturbing trend and could lead to Vandagriff transferring as well.

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭ Junior

The way Kirby is handling the QB situation likely means that Vandergriff leaves.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

So, BYU and North Dakota State had better receivers and OL than Ohio State? So, Fields could have improved his draft stock by transferring to one of those schools? No, he would have been riding the bench behind two better QBs like he did at UGA. Bless your heart!

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I love Stetson and his story as much as anyone. But it seems he’d understand by now that Kirby Smart doesn’t guarantee starting jobs for anyone, especially on January 16th.

It seems Stetson has gone from neglected, undeterred underdog to entitled and spoiled almost overnight.

If he wants to play in 2022, I hope he stays and competes for the job at UGA. If not, I wish him the best, and eagerly look forward to seeing what Vandagriff can do.

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2022

HOW ABOUT NEXT YEAR WERE GOING BACK TO WAR AGAIN WITH WHOEVER WANTS TO BE A DEFENDING CHAMPION DAWG!!! WHOEVER WANTS TO LEAVE BYE FROM WHAT IVE SEEN AND I KNOW ITS ON THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL GUNNER STOCKTON HAS JAKE FROMM’S BRAIN WITH A ROCKET ARM AND WHEELS JUST WHAT KIRBY AND MONKEN WANT