Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Nick Saban praises Jermaine Burton, Georgia fans should understand why

Comments

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Here is a post I tried to make on a Connor story earlier, but wouldn't load. Maybe he is blocking comments.

This article perfectly summed up the problem with Kirby and qb's. "23 passes last year". With all the blowouts, and that is all the pratice a back up gets? And 20 of them came against FCS teams. Just imagine if Bennett didn't come back, JT was gone regardless, absolutely no big game (SEC) experience on the field at the qb position. With defensive departures, and a new qb, UGA could very much likely loss 2-3 games. Probably wouldn't win the east.

And people wonder why Ala can loss a real good qb and start someone new the next year, and still be ranked no. 1. Because the backups usually get around 100 throws a year. A lot more game reps. Way more prepared the next year when they start.

We will see how this plays out.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with you budknox, I said all last year, it would have been great to get the others guys some experience other than just handing the ball off. Kirby either didn't trust the guys to throw it a few times(maybe the pick six) but even when JT got healthier, he wasn't put in. I can only surmise Kirby didn't want a QB controvery, if JT came in and wowed the fans. JT thought and his parent s that he would play against Missouri or Vanderbilt(can't remember) and he didn't even get in. I thinks the stuff might have hit the fan after that, but JT's fate was sealed, barring an injury to SB.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

You make some very valid points. I agree with what you said. But I will spin it a different way. NOT burning a year of player eligibility on a few snaps a game is BETTER for the player. CKS, for whatever the reason, is doing what is best for the player by preserving their eligibility for them to use at UGA or wherever they go. THAT is commendable. With the extra covid year and a redshirt last year(?) Beck STILL has 4 yrs of eligibility left (I believe). With the freshman redshirt year BVG STILL has 4 years of eligibility. Would CKS put UGA behind the eight ball THIS YEAR by "underutilizing" his young QB's in games last year? IDK. UGA will always be a preferred destination for a QB from the transfer portal because of the roster talent. So there is not really a significant risk for CKS. AL can give BYoung game reps as a true freshman because he was a can't miss 5* that will leave AL after 3 years (plus an extra covid year?). AL recruited a high 4* in '21 and are expected to get Manning or Holstein this cycle. Both 5*. They now have a pipeline of QB's and WR's because they are AL AND BECAUSE OF THEIR ADVANCED PASSNG GAME OFFENSE. There's a reason CKS brought in Monken. To try and get UGA , offensively, to where AL (and OK and OSU) has been for 3-4 years.

• CMacDAWGCMacDAWG Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

Gonna miss Robinson more than Burton

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe Monkin has done that. Nobody said UGA had to do it exactly like BAMA to be successful. Frankly, I think if you put all your eggs in the passing game basket, it leaves you vulnerable when 1 or 2 players go down much like what happened to BAMA last year. Especially if it's the QB that goes down. If you maintain a balanced offensive approach...with the talent UGA has across the board, there is no need to sweat losing a few skill players during the season.

When UGA had Mathew Stafford and AJ Green, Championship hopes went down the drain with the loss of Green. Mark Richt had the type of offense most people are clamoring for now. And that's understandable. But, his most successful offenses were QB'd by David Green and Aaron Murray, neither of which were exactly gun-slingers. If Richt hadn't wasted a few years on his buddy, Willie Martinez...they might have won a Championship or two. After VanGorder, CMR never got his defense right. 2012 was good, but IMO, could've been much better.

Smart is not an anomaly. He built BAMA's greatest defenses, not Saban. He learned the Dollar defense from one of it's architects (Saban), but his defensive and recruiting instincts are next level. Saban misses that. Yeah, he had good defenses over the last couple of years, mostly due to talent level, but not Smart level defenses.

Plain and simple...I believe Smart is better at developing defensive talent than Saban. Monkin is an offensive mastermind that knows how to utilize the talent and experience on-hand. I'd say UGA's sittin' pretty and won't miss a beat next year.

As long as Smart is there, the Dawgs will eat on the fefensive side of the ball. And, THAT wins Championships.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

With the ridiculous amount of injuries that Georgia was already having to deal with as it was, last year, I'm surprised that there are still those who would argue in favor of dragging out every game as much as possible after it's already been decided because, you know, what could possibly go wrong?

Also, Bama's backups don't typically get all that much PT, and when they do it's usually because of injury. Can anyone even name Young's backup?

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree 100%, ef all the holier than thou/politically correct/ESPN talking points BS. What Burton did is tacky. There’s 3-4 other schools (OSU, OU, USC, Etc.) he could have transferred to if the logic behind his decision is “the offense needs to center more around me” (which is how I’ve interpreted it).

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Lots of artistic liberty taken in calling the 2020 covid season game against South Carolina a “breakout game”, Mike.

A depleated 6-2 team vs. a perennial top 5 team that had already suffered two embarrassing losses.

This would have been a breakout game had it come against a top 10 team. Burton got lucky enough to have a favorable matchup, yes. But this was only a breakout for the veiled purpose of once again passive aggressively undermining CKS offensive philosophy. It’s annoying at this point.

LOL...I forgot about reading that. There were so many issues I thought jumped out.

When I read about "the breakout game", I just kinda laughed. What did he do, break out...then break back in. LOL A breakout game implies sustained success after "the breakout". That never materialized.

As I've pointed out, Burton only caught 2 passes for 11 yds against, what we know now to be, a less than stellar Clemson defense....with the vaunted JT Daniels slinging the ball. Rivisionist history....but, we remember.

The following is a list of receivers that had more yards and/or catches than Burton vs Clemson with the "gunslinger" JT Daniels throwing the ball.

BOWERS------------6/43 yds

JOHNSON---------1/21 yds

WHITE---------------1/13 yds

ROSEMY-JST-----2/12 yds

MCKONKEY-------2/12 yds

COOK-----------------4/7 yds

BURTON-------------2/11yds

Burton was killin' it wasn't he? LOL

But, has the NCAA actually started counting the 4 games or more as a season yet. JT played in 4 or more games this year and if he transfers after graduation, he will still have 2 years eligibility left. By what I have read. Now if it does burn a year of eligibility with 4 games or more, I can see your point some. But still, with 10 games of bigger then 24 point victories, could of been 10 games to play atleast a full qtr.

You are right about Young being a sure fire 5* that is only playing 3 years, but 2020 for him didn't count, technically.

My point is what you stated, 5*- get in alot in 1st year, take over 2nd year and 3rd year, with the next 5* getting in during the 3rd year of the qb ahead of them. Then just keep the cycle going, just like Bama. Can't argue with how Saban is doing it.

GO DAWGS!!!!

But honestly, what's the difference in dragging out the game with an offense that can't move the ball, or a defense that plays prevent? Clock still moves the same. I bring up the UK game of 2020. Offense was pitiful, couldn't move the ball and the defense was on the field for 37 minutes. 5 starters were injured in that game. I still believe was the difference in why UGA lost to UF the next week. There was no bye. I know I wasn't talking about 3 straight passes for incompletions and then punt, just give more opportunities to throw. Do like kirby says all the time, "take what the defense gives you" Isn't the defense saying throw with 8 men in the box?

GO DAWGS!!!!

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 JT was injured and so was Burton against Clemson. Probably not the best example. Burton didn't start to get really healthy until end of Sept. as I recall -- he had a high ankle sprain early in fall drills that cost him two-three weeks of prep. His conditioning was not where it needed to be.

Kearis didn't play WR in the opener, and Darnell was out as was Pickens and Blaylock.

There were a lot of first-time guys out there, Bowers, AD, and Ladd was a RS.... it was difficult for JT to change plays at the line with all the newness out there, and the tone of the game turned air tight and field position

UGA and Clemson finished the nation as the top two scoring defenses in the country.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin. Monken was brought in to do that but he has not been able to do that yet. He hasn't had the QB yet. CKS did not trust SBIV to not make "boneheaded" plays so he let him game manage. Only a generational D (and injuries to AL) saved him. With all the injuries, AL was right there until the end as proven by the SECCG. UGA has never had an O like AL and LSU the last few years. Oh by the way, the teams that eliminated them. Comparing MRicht's UGA time to what has evolved in CFB is complete apples and oranges. Different rules, different athletes, better coached athletes, better developed physically. In the HISTORY of UGA football they have had 1 (!) 1000 yard wr. One! Regardless what happened 10 years ago in CFB is irrelevant now. We have seen what LSU and AL have done with the right O and QB. That is the new standard. AL has been better than everyone for 2 reasons. They have out recruited everyone for 10 years and Saban is a pretty good coach. Up until this down year for AL he was what 23-0 against his former assistants? Saban is what 5-1 vs Kirby? With, how you say, "not Smart level D"? Maybe that's the point. It took a generational D to eek out a win finally against ( a depleted, down) AL (after losing badly in the SECCG) while AL and LSU and even Clemson to a degree were ringing up championships left and right with their offenses. Saban vs Kirby developing D talent? Really? Have you watched the NFL drafts the last 5 years? CKS has developed talent but not enough to hang your hat totally on D and certainly not enough to surpass the talent being developed at AL. UGA will be good this year. Maybe very good. But if you want to beat AL more than once every 6 tries you need to bring more than D. A generational D was only 1-1 vs AL this year. Defense does not win championships in CFB any more unless it is generational. LSU and AL have proven that the last few years. CKS has said that UGA is playing for championships every year. You have to go through AL every year to do that. If you can't compete on the same level offensively as AL you are handicapping yourself.

@Ddavis0777 It was the Mississippi State game, and I'll wait for you to find another regular-season game that a Georgia receiver had over 190 yards receiving ....... considering he had 10 catches through the first six games, I'd say having 8-197 in one game is a breakout.

And, Miss. State played pretty good that night, shut down UGA's run game. Lotsa those throws were third-and-long. Not the comfy leads and circumstances had this past season after playing an elite Clemson defense that finished second in the nation in scoring defense.

Tigers lost a couple of starters early this season. Not a bad football team at all.

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To me, the DB in Burton’s DB Assassin handle doesn’t stand for Defensive Back anymore.

Excuse me. Let's clarify your first statement.

Monkin was brought in to do what? And, what is your source. I know Smart or Monkin never said exactly what the plan was. I would say their recruiting targets speak for themselves. Top grade Tight Ends.

LOL..Name ONE QB that hasn't made some "bone headed" plays. One....and I'll prove you wrong. I even saw the great Tom Brady make a couple in the offseason. It happens with every player and with every QB and the objective is always... "to reduce bone headed plays". If you don't think Daniels, Beck and Vandergriff have a few in them, you haven't been watching.

Correction: You HAD to go thru Alabama every year.

That's over and not just because UGA beat em, but, the SEC West teams that matter, smell blood in the water. A&M beat BAMA last year and 3 other teams came within a play or a few seconds. Two of those teams had no business even playing them close. They haven't been a defensive juggernaut since Kirby left and they've gradually gotten a little worse every year.

As far as player development...How many Jordan Davis's, Ladd Mckonkey's and Stetson Bennett's have they developed?

BAMA's defense was so ineffective, Fans were calling for Pete Golden's head, halfway through the season. Some people seem to forget that, now. LOL.

In one breath, you say what happened 10 years ago is irrelevant...in the next breath you cite how Saban (and Smart, BTW) outrecruited everyone 10 years ago. Well, it's a new day, my friend, with new players...UGA, TEX A&M, TENN, ARK, UK. We'll see about FLA and LSU. You go ahead and put your money on BAMA next season. Good luck. LOL

@MikeGriffith

You're right on all counts Mike, BUT, here's the thing...and there's really no getting around it. Neither player was hurt in the Cincinnatti game earlier in Jan., yet Burton only had 1 catch for 6 yds. Pickens, A. Smith (Fr), K. Jackson and the RB/TE position got the majority of Comp/Yds.

LOL....Bennett was fighting the same WR injury issue throughout last season. Shuffling O-linemen didn't help the running game, which didn't help the play action pass. He was left to feed his TE's and RB's with the occasional shot downfield.

It actually wasn't till UGA moved Salyer to RG and put Jones in at LT, 2/3 of the way thru the 1st half of the NCG, that UGA found a winning combination for their running game and play-action. A move that was long overdue, in my opinion.

When you reference Bennett's 2 losses in 2020, to BAMA and FLA, maybe next time, you point out that Bennett injured his throwing shoulder on his 2nd TD pass of the game...to a Freshman, BTW (Rosemy-JackSaint). After that, he wasn't the same and Smart had to pull him. That led to the installation of Beck in that game and Daniels the following week. If Bennett doesn't get hurt, he wins that game and starts the next week.

It's a shame Daniels was injured before the season. I believe he was poised to put together something special. With his own injury and all the injuries around him, he had the worst luck of any QB I can remember. But, you know what they say...." In sports and war, you make your own luck.". You can't deny, Bennett has done that.

@BigDawg61 Actually .... Burton was sick leading up to the game with undefeated Cincinnati, many believe COVID, and had missed several practices and was not 100 percent.

Georgia also shuffled its offensive line with Truss making his first career start at left tackle -- three starters were moved around on the O-Line for that game, and it showed.

The Bulldogs' defense was also missing multiple starters, and UGA had to play from behind.

Beck didn't play in the Florida game in 2020 -- D'Wan Mathis did. But yes, Stet hurt his shoulder against Florida.

JT came in and finished the season on fire, the third highest-passer rating in the country from his first start on (Mac Jones and Zach Wilson of BYU were the only two QBs with a higher passer rating).

Bennett had the benefit of receivers with 3-4 games of experience -- and the return of Kearis Jackson to the WR ranks, as he didn't play WR the first three games.

JT showed what he could do with those receivers having a couple games under their belts in the SC and Vanderbilt games--- SC led the SEC in passing defense, it's worth noting.

Kirby said it himself, if you're looking for a passer, it's JT, if you want a QB who can run, it's Stetson.

“I’m not sure we know who the better one is based on which game plan we have,” Smart said in the ESPN interview.

“There are teams we play that we have to be able to use the quarterback in the run game. Well, that’s Stetson. There are teams we play that you have to get the ball out quickly and be really accurate. That’s JT.”