Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia QB Carson Beck looked better than Stetson Bennett on G-Day; honest takes by position

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia QB Carson Beck looked better than Stetson Bennett on G-Day; honest takes by position

ATHENS —Georgia football coach Kirby Smart didn’t want to name any standouts or players he was impressed with immediately after the G-Day Game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only way the Dawgs can lose to Oregon or any opponent in the regular season is for Stet to have the same type performance as he did at G-day. Beck and/or Vandegriff had better be ready. Kirby may have Bennett’s back in April, but when the live action starts, three-and-outs because balls aren’t getting over the line of scrimmage and throwing into coverage resulting in interceptions won’t be tolerated.

• dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good analysis - Honestly, all four QBs looked really comfortable, and Brock and Gunner are shifty!

Love the headline of the article - gonna drive half the folks here crazy! Keep it up MG.

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dogs_n_braves it's ok to talk about how players looked in one scrimmage.

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love the analyses of each group. 1 question - you mention looking for others to return kicks other than Jackson and McIntosh given the challenge at RB and WR; who would be up for that other than the ones mentioned? Both Smith and McConkey are WRs as well so just interested to figure out who would be the options if not for RBs or WRs.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would be informative to read an article with dishonest takes for comparison.

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Pretty spot on assessment Mike. All the Qb’s showed some flashes of greatness but also some not so good moments. I was impressed with Becks improvement and also Brock got better as the game went. Ones on ones and two’s on two’s is good but I would like to have seen Beck with the ones for 3 or 4 series also. I agree 100% on linebackers, this group needs to improve the most. I think some of these young guys looked really good so I’m optimistic how much better before the season starts and what kind of an impact they will make. Also keep in mind we had a few key pieces setting out yesterday.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I remember that Bennett didn't seem to have the best outing of the QBs in last year‘s spring game, but he turned out to be the correct answer for our national championship season. Chalk it up to what you will, but nothing from Saturday concerns me in the least. Can`t wait for fall; go Dawgs!

edited April 2022

Beck did get drives against the first team D too, right? What was the outcome of those drives?

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

3 and outs vs 1st team d, Beck was, Mike. Nice clickbait try, though. You are the worst sportswriter in America, hands down.

• jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bennett led us to the first national championship in 41 years. He's been through the fire. This was a glorified scrimmage and fans were observing not cheering. Come game day I want a true leader on the field. Beck will have his day. Those sacks were because they wouldn't let him run. The players like Bennett and his leadership but if he gets hurt I have 100% confidence in Beck.

Just read that Beck had three 3 and outs vs 1st team d running 1st team offense. Mike, do you even watch the games you cover? Fan generated content elsewhere is more accurate that your junk.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

Griffith at it again. Loves the clickbait. So predictable. Again if you are going to bash CKS on how he manages the team/QB then please suggest who you would replace him with. Until you can find someone better I think UGA fans are pretty happy to have him. Like most people, I am sure there is a reason CKS does everything he does. My guess is that he does what he does because he feels it is the best way to build a roster, motivate players and win games. I am sure there are othere reasons as well that we just don't know about.

I expected more praise and bashing of KMilton and ZWhite was coming. Just not this soon. I guess Griffith hasn't figured out yet that CKS demands way more than what you see when a RB gets the ball in his hands. The leadership, heart, practice habits, assignment integrity, availability and production are just some of the reasons ZWhite was UGA's leading rusher and the right choice to play last season. Griffith thinks we can't remember how unavailable KMilton has been during his time in Athens.

As for Nolan Smith, he is very talented but looks undersized out there. He will do well this year but may never meet the expectations of being the #1 recruit. Jackson is the best returner on the team if he can return to '20 form. McIntosh may be the best KO returner on the team. UGA has excellent depth at RB (with 2 coming this summer) and WR (when healthy). CKS not bashful about using starters on special teams. Keep Jackson and McIntosh sharp and use them as needed. Using ASmith as a kick returner is much riskier based on his body type and injury propensity. DL, top to bottom, looked good. Seems there are players there waiting for their chance to show. Wondering if having two 6'7" starting OG's is a hindrance for a 5'11" QB?

“The head coach is alsi big…”. Too lazy to run spell check, Mike? Go to File>Spelling & Grammar.

You’re welcome!

We were possibly reading the same thing. I was saying the same thing below but without the anger.

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Time to break out the asbestos suit again, Mike, if you're going to write anything remotely honest (which this was) about Kirby or SB IV. Appreciate your unvarnished insights.

Somebody said you're the worst sportswriter in America. Congrats on being in Stephen A. Smith territory - time for a raise!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What? I agree with Mike Griffith, well, mostly....especially on QB...I have already written that Beck looked smoother than Bennett on Sat.....much taller, better able to survey the mid-field, delivered the ball quicker and more accurately. I did not see the usual on-field jitters with Beck this time. This was a better Beck...the future may well be in his hands and Brock's. I understand fully that Bennett is the starter....I like Bennett, but he is no longer the future of UGA football.

Mike didn't mention Brinson....he showed up to play as well.

I really enjoyed the aerial display...Todd Monken was in his glory. Gilbert is definitely the ace receiver we thought he would be. He needs more speed...shedding pounds will help with that. Oscar Delp made me smile. This youngster was all over the field pulling them in. As did Brett Seither. My heart was truly warmed when Dom Blaylock took to the field again. He is such a gifted receiver.

I cheered when the game ended for a job well done....and a groan that it was over....I love to watch UGA play. Kirby is the #1 coach in my book. 2022 is going to be a good year.....lots of newbies eager to shine.

• Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

I listened via "radio" on my Echo. Two comments that I remember most were that (i) Vandagriff stared down his receivers and made his passes predictable, and (ii) McConkey was getting beat up a lot without getting passes thrown his way.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Oh, Lord, here we go again…

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're right Mike...as long as you're completely honest by adding context and ALL of the facts. That's what frustrates me the most about today's so-called news media and journalism. LOL

Here...I'll add some facts and context for you. This was nothing more than a glorified sand-lot game, to find out what we have on the defensive side of the ball. They actually looked very impressive, BTW. The Red Team (1st team) defense was getting penetration against one of the best O-lines in College football and the DBs were tight in coverage...particularly Ringo.

As far as QB's....Bennett alternated snaps with Vandergriff in the 1st half and Beck in the 2nd half, on the Black team against the 1st team defense. Neither Beck nor Vandergrif had much success against the Red Team defense. Bennett scored all of the points for the Black team on 3 TD passes. Beck couldn't get the ball in the End Zone from inside the 10 yd line and relied on the running game to score...which the defense was not prepared to defend.

CKS was careful not to put any of the 2nd/3rd team QB's in a situation that would make them look bad and destroy their confidence. That's just good coaching. He's still bringing those guys along. But, it's not the same as giving them false praise. Beck and Vandergriff both, know why they looked better playing for the Red Team. It's an insult to the intelligent to say that Beck's performance on the Red Team side outshines Bennett's performance on the Black team side. We all know why, given perspective.

One more thing...how many of Bennett's passes were dropped? McIntosh dropped a sure walk in TD at the end of the half with 3 seconds remaining. That led to Bennett having to force a pass in the end zone on the last play, that resulted in an INT. The Black Team didn't have the luxury of using the running game inside the 10 yd line like the Red Team did.

Perspective, Facts, Context===Truth.