Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kind of interesting to re-read this article

cusedawgcusedawg Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/dawgnations-first-z-georgia-2018-football-recruiting

I love how it starts off mentioning the "unshakable commitment" of Max Wray.

Also, interesting to note that at the time Jeff wrote this article the three commitments that Georgia de-committed. Obviously, Adam Anderson recommitted eventually.

Comments

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kind of glad we didn’t get Wray.
    He looked baaaad at all American game practices, really bad.
    Tyler Catalina blocking Jason Taylor kinda bad.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

I know Catalina had problems but, he is in the league. He has to have some ability, right? He was definitely not a left tackle, for sure.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe he is a back up tackle for the redskins

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@bmauldin said:

I know Catalina had problems but, he is in the league. He has to have some ability, right? He was definitely not a left tackle, for sure.

There's a lot of bad players in the league. It's almost as if they have some sort of a protective society to keep some of them playing. IMO, Catalina was a waste of a scholarship here. He may do good things in the NFL. But his time here left a LOT to be desired.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@donm said:

@bmauldin said:

There's a lot of bad players in the league. It's almost as if they have some sort of a protective society to keep some of them playing. IMO, Catalina was a waste of a scholarship here. He may do good things in the NFL. But his time here left a LOT to be desired.

agree 100%.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Catalina played out of position. He made the two deep on a pro team and that’s not nothing.

But back on topic, we may have dodged a bullet with Wray. Kid is a guard and probably doesn’t want to believe it yet

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Catalina Is a Guard for the Redskins. While he was not a great left tackle for Georgia, he was the best left tackle they had in 2016. I am sure he was much better player after a year at Georgia.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@oldon42 said:
    While he was not a great left tackle for Georgia, he was the best left tackle they had in 2016.

This is a prime example of why Richt isn't at UGA anymore. When Catalina is your best, ... well enough said.......

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

@oldon42 said:
    While he was not a great left tackle for Georgia, he was the best left tackle they had in 2016.

This is a prime example of why Richt isn't at UGA anymore. When Catalina is your best, ... well enough said.......

Yep. One of the long term reasons for his dismissal was a lack of recruiting on the o-line and d-line, which resulted in things like Catalina being the best option at tackle.

The short term reason for his dismissal can be said in 5 words:

Faton Bauta starting against Florida.

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@donm said:

@bmauldin said:

Not sure I agree with your first sentence. There are 32 teams in the NFL with a 53 man roster. That means there are 1,696 active NFL players at any given time. That's a pretty elite group of players considering how many play football at the high school and college level. Granted, Catalina may not be a good NFL player compared to other NFL players, but he played well enough to not only get to the college level, but also well enough for an NFL scout and team to award him a spot on a 53 man roster.

With that said, I complained about him the entire time he was at Georgia. And I couldn't believe he was our best option at that spot.

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@BamaDawg said:

@oldon42 said:

Yep. One of the long term reasons for his dismissal was a lack of recruiting on the o-line and d-line, which resulted in things like Catalina being the best option at tackle.

The short term reason for his dismissal can be said in 5 words:

Faton Bauta starting against Florida.

I think the Bauta start was the straw that broke the camels back. The hiring of Schotty was the beginning of the end. He was an awful OC.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@gdawg4life said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@donm said:

@bmauldin said:

Not sure I agree with your first sentence. There are 32 teams in the NFL with a 53 man roster. That means there are 1,696 active NFL players at any given time. That's a pretty elite group of players considering how many play football at the high school and college level. Granted, Catalina may not be a good NFL player compared to other NFL players, but he played well enough to not only get to the college level, but also well enough for an NFL scout and team to award him a spot on a 53 man roster.

With that said, I complained about him the entire time he was at Georgia. And I couldn't believe he was our best option at that spot.

I think it was a combination of things for him. Dude had the size. New coaching, new system, Not Rhode Island football, in the south, etc all crammed into one year. He was rough to watch, but obviously the NFL sees something in him... at least for a moment like UGA did.