Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Second look: Does Georgia have the easiest home schedule in college football?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageSecond look: Does Georgia have the easiest home schedule in college football?

ATHENS — Georgia football has the easiest home schedule in college football, per ESPN, but that should come with an asterisk.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I should wait until you repost on the boards, but I’ll bite now.

In the current era where players are looking to pad their stats and view stat potential as a primary recruiting and alliegence factor, Kirby shouldn’t go easy on Samford or anyone else. Keep running out those receivers and skill players and run up the score and pad the individual stats. Perhaps you pull Bennett and other essential players a little early, but keep running wide open even once the game is won. On defense, once the game is in hand, set up schemes likely to pad the stats of defensive stars…so what if the other team gets a few meaningless scores? … feed the stat beast for future recruiting and loyalty. Sad, but that appears to be where we are in college football. /sarcasm off

• pepinpepin Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore

Never explained the reason for the asterisk?

Good grief. If you believe that Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Clemson etc. have 4000 yard passers, 1000 yard receivers and 1500 yard rushers because they "pad stats against cupcakes" then you only watch UGA games. Moreover, the NFL wouldn't exist in your world. If it did, Smart products like Riley Ridley, Javon Wims, Terry Godwin, Jake Fromm etc. would have had great NFL careers with the likes of Mac Jones, Mike Williams (Clemson), DeVonta Smith etc. getting exposed like Baker Mayfield, Sam Bradford and most of the rest of those Big 12 frauds do. Instead quite the contrary: all those UGA guys have since been released by the teams that drafted them where DeVonta Smith (for example) caught 60+ passes as a rookie with Jalen Hurts getting him the ball.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

Oh… I think there are many factors… for example, Bama had one loss and no less than three other close calls last year—which meant Bama’s starters had to play complete games. Meanwhile, Georgia had only one such game, against Clemson… which didn’t work out too well for generating offensive stats for the Georgia O.

Note: I ended my post with ‘/sarcasm off’. You are making assumptions about what I said that are not in my post. 😉

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pepin The game with Florida is technically a home game, even though it is being played in Jacksonville. The Oregon opener, also, is like a "home" game because of its proximity.

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

We probably have the easiest schedule overall in the country!

• NFLDAWG7NFLDAWG7 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Maybe I missed it, but I don't seem to hear any complaining from Jimbo Fisher or Sam Pittman about giving up a home game every other year. Mike never seems to mention that we have another annual neutral site game in the SEC (Arkansas/Texas A&M) and will soon add one more (Oklahoma/Texas) when lobbying to move Georgia/Florida out of Jacksonville.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

It's about time! We've had a rough two years!

Didn't UGA face more top ranked teams last year than just about any team in the country? Clemson, Arkansas, UK, Rburn was 18th, SoCar was unbeaten when we played them.

And every team that we beat, went downhill after that.

Then we played Alabama (twice) and Michigan #2.

I'm good with an easy schedule for once.

The one game that gives me somewhat pause is UK in Lexington, but by that time our offense will be humming, and the D will be gelling!

• ancelyancely Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

When did bamer have 5 first round draft picks? You watch when they get cut. When did bamer have 15 players drafted? They cry about losing their best receiver. Our best receiver played about 10 plays all year. As Saban whined "our backups didn't play well." Our number 5? caught the big td in the fourth quarter.

@NFLDAWG7 Here you go, Sam Pittman not happy with contract he inherited and both schools' AD eager to get game back on campus

"What I will tell you is (Aggies athletics director) Ross Bjork and the folks at Texas A&M have made it abundantly clear that when the contract is over with AT&T Stadium, they would like to see those games back on campus following the 2024 season,” Yurachek said. “After that, I foresee those games moving back on campus."

“We think this game deserves to be on campus,” Bjork said in October. “It’s an SEC game. We need to play as many of those games on our campus as possible.”

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/sam-pittman-on-neutral-site-game-against-am-i-dont-feel-great-about-it/

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2021/feb/03/yurachek-foresees-arkansas-texas-m-series-moving-c/

@ancely Alabama had SIX first round picks in the 2021 NFL Draft --- last season's team was in a rebuild.

I know they will be better this year but on paper they were better last year. How many preseason sec's did each team have?

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad we don't have the Razorback's schedule, but playing Kent State and Samford? You've got to be kidding me?!?! What a waste of a perfectly good Saturday for fans...can't wait until we add a 9th SEC game and get rid of these patsies...nothing gained in these kind of games and the potential for injuries...

Yes, we have it easy...as we have mostly had it for many years in the East. Get rid of the SEC divisions when Texas and Oklahoma come to play REAL football...shuffle the deck and make every year a different slate of opponents for all the SEC teams.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t know what will happen with the Arkansas-A&M game in the future, but the main reason that game is at AT&T Stadium is because of Jerry Jones. He wants a game featuring his beloved Razorbacks in his stadium, and he wants it to be a “legitimate” contest. And as much money as he contributes to Arkansas, they’ll find a way to keep that going, either against A&M, or versus someone else. Go Dawgs!

• NFLDAWG7NFLDAWG7 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Thanks for catching me up! However, the PIttman comment about not feeling great about it was more in response to having to play in College Station during the COVID year without a return trip to Fayetteville in 2021. That was kind of like the Dawgs playing in Auburn two years in a row. I am sure Mark Richt didn't feel great about that especially when you consider the second year turned out to be the "prayer at Jordan Hare". But I do see where you pointed out that both schools (A&M & Ark) seem to be in favor of moving it back to campuses.

One major difference with A&M/Arkansas and Georgia/Florida is the history. The neutral site for A&M/Arkansas has only been around for about a decade. Georgia/Florida in Jax is coming up on 100 years. Have you heard of any commentary from Oklahoma or Texas moving the Red River Rivalry (which has a similar neutral site history)?

I attended both the '94 and '95 Georgia/Florida games in Gainesville and Athens while the old Gator Bowl was being renovated for the expansion Jaguars. Both of those games rank at the bottom as my worst experiences attending Georgia games. Of course those games coincided with Florida being at the top of the college football world while Georgia was experiencing its worst stretch of the past fifty years. To be fair there were also some bad experiences in Jacksonville as well during the 90s and early 2000s.

My preference is Jacksonville, but I am not opposed to home and home (Athens/Gainesville). I would be opposed to rotating neutral sites. Keep it in Jax or on campus.

• amacdad101amacdad101 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good! Play them all like you have to win or go home....stay healthy....share the wealth with young pups....stay out of trouble!!!Study, study, study....'cause the other guys, are just waiting to find a weakness. Other than that....it''s hammer time....soooo let the Dawgs out!!!!!

@Hemingwey Sorry about missing the sarcasm thing.

@ancely Being picked to win the SEC because you win it all the time is very different from "they were better on paper." Of the 7 players that Alabama lost from their offense six of them started in the NFL as rookies. This is why.

Mac Jones was #2 in all time SEC passing yards (now #3 to Bryce Young).

Jaylen Waddle was #1 all time in SEC receiving yards.

Najee Harris was #25 in single season rushing yards and #2 in rushing TDs.

And add to that WR Devonta Smith (Eagles), LT Alex Leatherwood (Raiders) and C Landon Dickerson (Eagles). So not only did all they start, but 5 of them started for playoff teams (Waddle's Miami Dolphins were the only ones who didn't, and they just missed the playoffs at 9-8 thanks to Tua getting hurt again).

When you add in Patrick Surtain II (4 INTs as a rookie starter CB for the Denver Broncos) and Christian Barmore (starting DT for the Patriots) that means that 8 Patriots from Bama's 2021 draft class started as rookies, all on winning teams and 7 of them on playoff teams. Five of them (Jones, Waddle, Harris, Barmore, Surtain) were on the All-Rookie team!

That Alabama could lose all that talent and still be up with 8 minutes to go in the 4th quarter of the title game against a UGA team that had 15 draft picks of their own - up to 8 of whom could have been 1st rounders under different circumstances (the 5 who were plus the injured Pickens and Dean and the "only got 113 carries to Najee Harris' 251" Cook) - is absolutely incredible.