Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

If I’m Nebraska

texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do everything possible to get Gary Patterson.

Nebraska is in the middle of no where. A recruiting nightmare.

When they were an elite program they did d so because they were able to get those academically at risk players from Cali, TX and other areas. (Forgot what that was called)

No longer able to do that.

Nebraska needs a coach that can find and develop the under the radar prospect. And few can do that better than Gary Patterson.

Those that can find and develop those types of prospects…Stoops, Fickle, Hogerson, Campbell…most likely won’t leave their current job for Nebraska.

I can’t think of a better coach for Nebraska than Gary Patterson.

When was the last time Texas defense played like they did Saturday? Is there any question who is responsible for this.

Comments

• MrDabney25MrDabney25 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like that idea. I’d consider Chris Petersen as a great option as well, if he’s looking to get back into coaching.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good call right there. He should be a great fit.

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought Patterson too after the TX Bama rock fight , but then he is 62, only Saban is beating back Father Time

• Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Will Tom Herman's star ever shine again?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

He’s working in the NFL and seems fine with that. With the stresses of recruiting and keeping your own players out of the transfer portal I don’t blame him.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No question, all great ideas for the next in line, except the Bobby choice, he is a walking and bike riding disaster!

If Patterson is not willing and able, I would grab the bull by the horns and go get Hugh Freeze!

The program and he have experienced incredible success in their past, did some very questionable things and both need the option of reappearing on the national stage.

With NIL, if Nebraska truly wants to be a contender, they just need to be "entirely committed" to that one goal. Spend the Money, hit the TP with everything you got and don't shy away from the media. Promote what you are doing, it is the best marketing source and there is no such thing as negative press coverage!

The legislators are in the back rooms making deals and new rules for the NIL are right around the corner, better strike the iron while it is still white hot!

We are on the same page!

Coach Patterson has been involved with the Scottish Rite Hospital for Children, for many, many years.

I want something more for him than a broken-down Nebraska team that has been MuLLLLLLLLLened by Forst. (Hotdam I just created a new term! Don't let your team become MuLLLLLLLLLened!)

But maybe he wants a challenge of epic proportions!

No Doubt - he and his coaching staffs - They know how to recruit and they know to "Coach them up"

I wouldn't want him in the SEC East, so yeah, Nebraska is fine with me!

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like Georgia Tech, it seems unlikely Nebraska will be nationally relevant ever again…

• BaxleydawgBaxleydawg Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another reason Nebraska was so elite at the time is that they were light years ahead of everyone in their strength and conditioning program.

Perfect example vs Miami in the Natty game. When other teams caught on they were done. Actually a documentary about it.

Can they ever return to relevance with their challenges? Does Gary Patterson have the cache to pull players to Nebraska even with being an obviously great coach?

I’ve heard their NIL is not bad. I almost think they would need some super wealthy boosters bought in to the program to return to relevance.

From what I know is true!

Nebraska has one of the Top 15 booster programs in the country! Not as affluent as Oklahoma or Oklahoma State, but excellent envolvement and by the way, deep prockets .

If they wanted to, they could make huge changes to their program! First step, bring in a Big name, who has huge aspirations and has a plan to win!

Take care of your players and give them the opportunity to gain a great experience with a great education. It matters, maybe they will figure it out!, hopefully they do!