Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Anthony Evans: Georgia football flips 4-star wide receiver from Oklahoma

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageAnthony Evans: Georgia football flips 4-star wide receiver from Oklahoma

Georgia football added more speed to its wide receiver room in the 2023 recruiting cycle, as the Bulldogs were able to flip 4-star wide receiver Anthony Evans from Oklahoma on Friday afternoon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Welcome Aboard!!! I was skeptical about his flipping and I’m thrilled to be wrong!

• busterchapbusterchap Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Where is the copy editor?

• Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2022

Wow, flips a WR who is ranked the 39th WR in the country according to the 247 sports average of all ranking as of today.

Whoopitdoodaa !

Sorry, but this isn’t a great get.

I’m sure some of you will jump to down vote this or compare it to some diamond in the rough 4 ⭐️ ranked former player for Georgia, but I’ll also bet that any player’s names that you post will not have made a significant impact until at least their sophomore or Junior years. That means if this 5’10” very average ranked player makes any impact it will be in 2024 or 2025.

5 ⭐️ ranked WR make IMMEDIATE impact. See : George Pickens.

Also see: George Pickens bowl game stats his true freshman season.

My response to the 👎🏽 votes would also be this: “Aren’t we Georgia? The reigning National Champion and current #1 ranked team in the country? Why does it take a team like this led by a clearly outstanding (defensive-minded) coach and recruiter 5 to 7 years to recruit a 5 ⭐️ WR or a 5 ⭐️ top 5 QB like AJ Green of Pickens (who luckily flipped from AU on final day)?

Yet this same team has 4- 5 ⭐️ LB’s and DL’s and DB’s riding the bench because they can only field 11 per team? Why is it when a 5 ⭐️ defensive player goes out with an injury that their is 2 waiting to take his place, but when a WR goes down, we hear all these stories of the scrambling for consistency at the position and, quite frankly, excuses? Kirby Smart can hold up to 10 scholarships for the WR position on his team, and up to 14 at that position if 4 of them do not play more than 4 games in a particular season.

IMO our Dawgs Need some top 15 ranked WR talent to come to play offense and stretch the field with those TE’s. That alone combined with the terrific job he does on the Defense and the hard work of his assistants at recruiting as well would put our Dawgs CLEARLY on top of the College Football world in a substantial way for a decade or even longer.

• RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Evans has what we are targeting - speed and hands!

Go Dawgs!!

• MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2022

Not comparing, but just saying.... Isaiah McKenzie 5-8, 175, weight 175, 4 star......Evans 5-10, 160, 4 star. Both very fast. Ladd McConky was (is) fast at the HS level and a project. Now look at him. Evans will be a project, until he gets to UGA and develops.

• RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Take away ESPN's ranking ( which is the least respected in the industry) Evans would rank in the top 30 WRs. Even with ESPN, both 247Sports & On3Sports have him in their consensus top 300 overall players nationally. 247 ranks him #26 & Rivals #28! He is much higher on our board than some recruiting experts I would presume.

• KhunKhaoDawgKhunKhaoDawg Posts: 209 ✭✭✭ Junior

Errors throughout this story. Unreadable! Fix that chit!

• KhunKhaoDawgKhunKhaoDawg Posts: 209 ✭✭✭ Junior

Apparently still on break for the week. It's just too sloppy to read.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Evans needs to be Dawg developed for tough SEC action. He is quick....that is good.

Is UGA okay in the QB department? :Probably need to rustle one up here soon for the future. Gunner Stockton is UGA's only long-term QB at present. Two years for Beck and possibly Vandagrift...depending on the portal. Puglisi is committed for 2024. None in '23. Looks a bit light....but Kirby knows what he is doing. He has been at this a long time with exceptional recruiting classes. He'll come through.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are you kidding? McLendon comes in, and we get commitments from the 19th, 20th, 34th and 45th most promising WRs (per On3 consensus.). At this point, that's good for one of the top five 2023 WR groups in the country.

Plus Evans could fit into a very specific, valuable speedster role.

Sure, I'd love for us to pickup a couple of the top-10 guys whom Ohio State and USC are grabbing. We've lacked that go-to WR since Pickens got injured last year. That'll change in the class of '24 if Beck or Vandergriff have a big year in 2023.

But WR rooms often are a numbers game anyway. Plenty of middling recruits who eventually rise to become all-American. Jordan Addison and Jalin Hyatt were rated lower than three in 2020 than three of our WR recruits are this year.

Also, unless one or two of our current WRs transfer, we'll have our entire corps returning! Mitchell, Ladd, Bell, Smith, Blaylock and Rosemy-Jacksaint each are capable of having break-out seasons.

edited November 2022

@ScoreCheck

You have absolutely no basis at all nor evidence to make a statement like that regarding Ladd M.

And if that’s your best counterargument, I’ll consider that debate an L for you, LOL!

Good day and Happy Thanksgiving.

edited November 2022

@MACDAWG

Not comparing, but just saying: Isaiah McKenzie went to American Heritage high school in Florida, one of the best and most fertile grounds over the last 25 years for DIV I talent In the country, especially for SEC Teams.

I agree with your point about him being a project, but not being something worthy of a full page article boasting about him flipping from Oklahoma.

IM’s junior year he had over 800 yds rcv and 15 TD in that states toughest HSF region. He had another 800+ yds receiving and 7 TD’s his senior year and over 300+ yards rushing each year and another 5 TD’s to go along with primary kickoff and PR duties which he excelled at.

This “flipper” Evans had these stats his Junior year: 35/491/3 TD in 10 games.

Senior year: 61/782/8 TD in 11 games.

Judson High School is ranked # 185 in the state of Texas for high school football in 2022-2023.

American Heritage High School is currently ranked #10 in Florida state high school football ranking. Since 2012, they have been ranked in the top 15 every single year. They also have the highest STEM science scores and are considered one of the best academic high schools in the country, not just Florida.

So, in conclusion, this flip I okay, IMO, but certainly nothing to be bragging or boasting about.

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

Hey @UGA66, I hope you and your family are enjoying the Thanksgiving weekend and ready to see the Dawgs take care of buisness against GT.

I think Beck and Vandagriff both have 3 more years of eligibility (let me know if I’m mistaken on that). Vandagriff is a RS-Freshman this year, and Beck is a RS-Sophomore with an extra year for COVID. If Stockton is making as much progress as we have been led to believe, we will have three very good QB’s for at least the next three years. All three are potentially better than Bennett, who has been a very effective Quarterback and leader for the Dawgs for two consecutive Championship seasons (an enviable college football career by anyone’s standards). Of coarse injuries and transfers could impact that as you have rightly pointed out in your original comment. As long as Puglisi develops as expected, there shouldn’t be a problem.

GO DAWGS!

edited November 2022

@CandlerPark

No, I am not kidding.

And why does a backup 5 ⭐️ QB that’s been riding the bench for 2+ seasons have to have “a big year” next year to get a top 15 nationally ranked WR?

Aren’t our Dawgs and we fans worthy of recruiting that caliber of WR talent now?

Is it wrong of me to ask that question?

And you mentioned USC & OSU “grabbing” WR; Have you seem the WR those Orange 💩 just 175 miles north of us have been fielding the last decade? How about the chickens just 200 miles east of us? Or how about the stable of unbelievable WR Saban has recruited the last 6 years!?!

And yes, look at what a difference Pickens made! My goodness, if 40% of the energy to recruit and over recruit defensive studs was put into the WR position? Look out!

I am just stating an opinion, this isn’t personal. I just would like to see some better WR recruited by our Dawgs, that’s all.

Its beyond aggravating to hear the excuses, both nationally and locally, when the highest rated WR goes down with an injury and instead of “next man up” like it is and was when Nolan Smith went down, it’s a bunch of excuses and nonsense when the real reason is because the WR position in recruiting at GEORGIA is not as high a priority as other areas. And yea, I question that logic. There are over a half dozen recruits at the WR position pulled out of this state every single year to go to USC and UT and OSU, so why not play for National Champion Georgia Bulldogs?

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

🤣🤣🤪

I would "down vote" you...if I thought for 1 second, that you knew what you were talking about. I think it's pretty obvious to most of us, that ya don't. Lol

Was Ladd McConkey a "good get"?

How bout Jordan Davis or Trayvon Walker...we're they good gets?

I'll pause while you look up an opinion you can adopt. Maybe see what those so-called recruiting analysts have to say. Lol

Personally, I like the way Smart thinks...which includes player evaluation and development. I'd love to get a peek at his recruiting board...and so would every Coach and "analyst" in the Nation.

You're gonna rely on the word of an anonymous group of analysts, as to which players are the best fit for the Dawgs, based solely on how many "Stars" they have? Not a good idea.

Besides those "Stars" are only an indication of "ceiling", not "floor". And, they don't reflect a kids commitment to excellence or desire to achieve it (heart).

That's just my opinion. Go Big Red!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

I think you're wrong about South Carolina and Rattler. I believe Rattler broke out his shell over the last few weeks and the "team" around him is responding.

SC 38......CLEM 24

(-14 PTs for inclement weather)

I think Clemson will lose the turnover battle. And, besides Rattler, that will ultimately be the difference.

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

Hey @Gibroni88 I believe there is another possibility that is worth considering when it comes to the struggle to land higher caliber WR recruits. I have no insider information, so I’m going on speculation. I don’t believe there to be a lack of effort or interest on the part of the UGA coaching staff, but there could be some apprehension on the part of the recruits because of the reputation for physicality that UGA has. No one uses the word “physical” more than CKS, and there is no word that he uses more. It’s quite probable that that word emerges multiple times during his conversations with recruits. That’s not an issue when he’s interacting with a linebacker or a running back, but I can imagine some of the higher ranked WR’s not having much interest in becoming a great blocker or becoming “physical”, thus the apprehension. If they are under the impression that they will be doing more blocking for a running back than running routes and catching passes, that may be enough to turn them away. Physicality is part of the DNA at Georgia and it’s not going away as long as CKS is in charge. This may or may not be the case, but I do believe it to be a possibility.

GO DAWGS!