Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Anthony Evans: Georgia football flips 4-star wide receiver from Oklahoma

2»

Comments

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Gibroni, there are at least a few thousand wide receivers playing high school football. Evan's ranking easily puts him in the top 1%. Happy to have him (as would any other program in the country). Go Dawgs!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watching film on him, he's not a burner, but seems to have good hands, can catch the deep ball, and has above average wiggle. Reminds me in some ways of Ladd M. and that's a good thing! Go Dawgs!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

""some of the higher ranked WR’s not having much interest in becoming a great blocker or becoming “physical”"

They darned well better be, if they're planning on playing at the next level (NFL). And, the type of receivers we're talking about, ARE making those plans.

Football is an extremely physical game, when it's played right. There are generally 1 or 2 WR's on the field at any given time. No team can afford to have 2 of their 11 players, not participating in the play. Especially if the play is on the perimeter. Blocking and Tackling ability is required at EVERY position.

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 I don’t disagree at all, you’re exactly right. But I think what I have explained is a realistic possibility. The last visit Luther Burden made to UGA was a game that featured a whole lot of running (and blocking) and not much pass catching. I can’t remember who the opponent was, but it wasn’t long after that that he committed to Missouri.

GO DAWGS!

You may be right about the perception of some of these kids. However, if they're not smart enough to see what's going on at UGA without being @ the game, do we really want em? After all, there's ESPN, the internet, SEC/ACC/BIG10/PAC networks, and lots of former Dawgs for them to talk to.

If they don't come to UGA...it's not because of the school, coaching staff or players. IMO, it's because they don't have enough confidence in themselves to compete or they don't qualify academically...or some other reason we're not privy to.. They would rather be a "Big Fish" on a "little pond".

You have RBs coming in and watching the ball carrying duties being split between 3 or 4 guys. That doesn't deter the Dawgs from getting their share of elite RBs every year. Same with offensive linemen and TE's. The truly Elite WR's are generally primadonnas.

I don't see Kirby bending will to satiate that kind of personality...I don't care how good the guy is. Not gonna happen. Something like that can destroy team chemistry...and in turn "cost" the team more than the added value of a deep threat. It could cost, a Championship. Why take the chance, when you don't NEED to?

Kirby and Monkin are getting as much or more out of their platoon of Elite Tight Ends and RBs, without the drama.

I don't know why UGA hasn't landed another Pickins or AJ Greene in a few years, but I think it might have something to do with these elite receivers making demands that Coaches like Saban and Smart are unwilling to entertain. That...and availability and luck. There aren't that many WRs coming out of HS, that can hit the ground, running, in NCAA DIV 1 Football.

How many HS Receivers are you aware of, that can take multiple hits in a game, from a 350lb lineman or 250lb linebacker? It takes a year or two of development for the best of em. Most if not all of the Freshman WRs entering DIV1 from the HS ranks, that attempt to take on a heavy roll on offense...wind up injured.

Yeah, BAMA's worse off than UGA, in the WR department...this year. And, that's after they managed to sign one of UGA's many average receivers (Burton). UGA landed Dillon Bell and it looks like he's gonna be a good one. No hype, though...just observation. Lol

All that being said (sorry it's so long, Lol)...IMO...UGA would be better off, letting one of the other teams, such as Mizzou, sign and spend 2 yrs developing a WR...then swoop in and steal him out of the transfer portal. If you think Luther Burden is going to stay at Mizzou for 3-4 yrs, I got some land in the Artic I'd like to sell you. Lol

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You might have a point ... if we all just ignored the reality that so far our entire 2023 class of WRs comes in as about fifth in the nation.

You talk about the Vols and the Gamecocks recruiting better WRs than we have, but that's ironic because two of our incoming WRs are more highly rated than ANY of those two schools' '23 WR recruits. And our four WR recruits are more highly rated than all but one incoming WR at BOTH THOSE SCHOOLS.

Despite that, you still complain that we're not recruiting WRs at a high level. So, I guess you're setting the bar at something like at least one top-5 recruit in the position (like we consistently do in OL, TE and almost all D positions). Fine. But it's very weird to complain about UT out-recruiting us over "the last decade" when McLendon arrived only 10 months ago and Kirby's only been here for six years. In fact, most of the 18 guys ahead of our top two WR recruits had already committed before McLendon arrived! And BTW not a single one of them is from Georgia..

Jeepers. Give the guy a chance. He's not going to bring in Ja'Marr Chase and DeVonta Smith overnight. But he's definitely upped our game. (And that thing about WRs being notoriously difficult to rate out of HS is still true too: Chase was the #15 WR in his recruiting year, and Smith was #9.)

As Emeril Lagasse would say, "BAMMM!!!"

Very good post, @CandlerPark. I concur with every word. Saved me some time. LOL