Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football-Georgia Tech instant observations as Bulldogs complete perfect regular season

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football-Georgia Tech instant observations as Bulldogs complete perfect regular season

ATHENS- Georgia wrapped up its regular season with a perfect record. The performance against Georgia Tech was far from that as the Bulldogs led only 10-7 at halftime but Georgia overwhelmed the Yellow Jackets to coast to a 37-14 victory.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At least my prayer life is picking up. LOL But, second half saw my Dawgs released from the Dawg house and on to a big victory. Let's not let LSU get ahead of UGA in half one next week....ok? They are much better than Tech.

It had to be the tryptophan doldrums from Thursday....yes...lolol

At least my prayer life is picking up. LOL But, second half saw my Dawgs released from the Dawg house and on to a big victory. Let's not let LSU get ahead of UGA in half one next week....ok? They are much better than Tech.

It had to be the tryptophan doldrums from Thursday....yes...lolol

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

After a horrible first half the Dawgs finally put the hammer down. Good effort by the Bees, and Brent Key might deserve to be their HC.

Would love to see a complete game performance next week...tired of all these half-baked performances. At some point soon, that MO isn't going to work.

GO DAWGS!

• UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia Tech needed to bring McIntosh down by his facemask to keep from scoring.

horse collar not face mask

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m NOT trying to excuse the early sloppy play by our Dawgs. There is no excuse. But just to make a point the mighty 9-2 Tide are only up 21-14 vs the 5-4 Barn. Our Dawgs faced a very determined GT team that Did come to play. I think early on our Dawgs had zero respect for the bugs potential and wrongly thought they could play sloppy and still beat them. PLUS the bias on the part of the Zebras on behalf of GT was blaringly obvious. So for the Dawgs to adapt and end the game by a Very Solid score is not great or even real good but it’s OK. They won. Very few people will remember or Care about the quality of play as long as the Dawgs keep Winning !!

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2022

If Monken doesn’t open it up and take shots to some of our fastest WRs- Smith, Jackson, Ladd…defenses are going to double Brock and our offense isn’t going to stall. Also if Bennett is going to run more, which is why Kirby supposedly started him, might as well put beck back there

I agree navydawg but that is two consecutive games of up front sloppy play. Did they actually look past Tech? Something is amiss here in the first half of games. UGA is supposed to be #1 not #13? Maybe they will dump all their frustrations out on LSU...maybe? An entire team playing at the level of the opponent so many times is bizarre...then coming back half two and blowing them away. Seems to be UGA's MO. Tide is battling it out for sure again. Michigan blew out OSU...45 to 23. Cannot see how UGA remains #1. I think Mich, will take over and UGA #2. Just my opinion.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well we came out flatter than a pancake. Maybe to be expected when everyone I heard, be it ex-players, sports pundits, even UGA's radio talking heads said this would be a cake walk. In the end our superior talent won out. But Lord have mearcy if we start slow like this against LSU. I don't think we will , but this was a head scratcher.

Offense can't run it in from the goal line( I guess more practice is needed). Red zone offense was run, run, run, or maybe one pass mixed in, just as vanilla as you can get. But Monken's a genuis, so they say. Tech seem to cover our guys like blankets. Thank goodness caoch CKS woke them up at half-time. I heard from someone inside the locker room that he was fired up!

It IS indeed bizarre. Like I posted though on another thread, I think, I Believe, I Hope we will see our Dawgs play Up and Over LSU. I think the Dawgs thought they could get away with playing sloppy vs GT and still win. But GT playing hard coupled with the Obvious bias from the officials Did serve to anger the Dawgs and got them awake. The second GT TD was in garbage time when we had took out most of the starters. So looking at it from a “salvage optimistic” sort of way the Dawgs rose up and beat them by a solid score in spite of early sloppy play and the Zebras trying to help GT. But I DO get it, early sloppy play Won’t Cut It verses a really good Championship Level rival. Let’s just Hope and Pray that the “Good” Dawgs show up verses such a rival.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

Didn't you say that last week? (Georgia shouldn't stay at #1) If Georgia beats LSU, they should undeniably be the #1 seed for the playoff, no matter what anyone else does. And if they lose the SECCG, they'll drop anyway. What would be the point of dropping them this week only to put them back in the top spot next week if they win a game they're expected to win?

Shhhhh E_Roc...youre telling all my secret past opines,which is the big neck collar now...lolol

edited November 2022

It's gotten to the point that I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised by a flat performance against an overmatched opponent. It's happened enough times this year. It's become an almost fundamental characteristic of this year's team - playing up or down to the opponent. Add to that the fact that it was an in-state rival opponent coming off their biggest win in years, whose entire season would be made by pulling off the upset, and this result should surprise no one.

As frustrating as it was to watch for about a half, this game was right in line with what we've been seeing all year. But as long as they can keep turning it on when they need to, it's not an issue. And so far, there's been no indication that they can't.

I say all that to say this - we should expect a strong performance against LSU. That, too, would be well in-line with what we've been seeing this year. Until we see the Dawgs not play well in a scenario that demands a quality performance, there's no reason to fret about what'll happen if they treat a strong opponent like a big underdog.

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I understand what you mean, but how about this. That is the problem with rankings and committees. How much work is it really to say, you are no. 1 last week, now no. 2. And if you win next week against LSU, and Michigan beats a what 9 loss team in their championship game, you will be back at no. 1. That is why no one trusts the committee. They rank and leave it, unless a loss. That is why a 12 team playoff is trash. It will be the same 9 teams EVERY year, then 3 will be switched.

Imagine this. If the committee does drop uga to no. 2, and then they lose the SECCG, they could absolutely miss the playoffs. Not saying they will, but could. And in expanded playoffs, you will get teams that take games off. But if uga misses the playoffs because of that reason, who's fault is it? The committee for being unfair? Or UGA for taking games off? Look at the odds right now, they still have bama as the 5th best odds to win it all. That's why, NEVER TRUST THE COMMITTEE.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, against Missouri, the excuse for not playing well was because it was an away game at night and Mizzou was doing things that Georgia hadn't yet seen on tape. Then, against Kentucky, the excuse was the wind and cold kept Bennett from being able to throw.

So, today, with clear skies and (relatively) balmy temperatures at home in broad daylight, now the excuse is that Tech played hard. The TV announcers raved about Bowers' TD catch, but they missed the larger issue that the pass itself was dreadful. At halftime, I don't think Bennett even had 50 yards passing -- and that's without the wind and cold. Yes, we won but we are about to enter the stretch of the season where you don't get any do-overs and the talent gap between us and whoever we play won't be as wide as it is with Georgia Tech. Every week, our coaches and players say, "we've got to get better" at such and such, but then the next game they aren't better. It's getting late, guys.

So the #2 team in the land obviously “took a game off” as they got Curb Stomped by Michigan. And Of Course the #6 team in the land Clemson Really “took a game off” with their loss to unranked SC. And the most recent #9 Oregon “took a game off” by losing to #20 Oregon St. where as the Final Score for the Dawgs was a Solid Win over GT even With the early sloppy play and the fact that for the entire first half the Zebras were calling Anything and Everything on the Dawgs and pretty much Nothing on GT. So I’m Super Glad that the Committee doesn’t have the very odd sort of thinking You have. Course because It Is the Dawgs anything and everything that Might hurt them your all for it !! 🙄🤪

Dallas first let me say I’m not the one who down voted you. Not that you’d care. I’ve always found you to be a very reasonable person and still do. And YES there is NO excuse for the early Sloppy play. BUT the bugs did come in Very determined to upset our Dawgs. And I think you’d have to agree at least I sure Hope you will, the Refs calls were Extremely biased in the first half !! They Stole points and yards from the Dawgs. But still Even With the Sloppy early play and bias from the officials our Dawgs win by 23 points !! Now look at Ohio St. Clemson and Oregon. Of those three I guess Ohio St. would have the best Excuse as Michigan is supposed to be a pretty good team. STILL they curb stomped Ohio St. Now at this very moment the #9 team LSU is tied 10-10 with unranked 4-7 TAMU. Purely from an Entertainment standpoint for us as fans I Know the sloppy play Stinks !! BUT to reach the ultimate goal which is Kirby holding up Another National Title Trophy do you Really care that much about the “Quality” of the win or the Win it’s self ?? I think I already know the answer to that !! And NO there’s absolutely Nothing Wrong with your being objective and/or constructive criticism, Even if it’s passionate. I’ve never seen you that I can recall just whole sale Bash on our Coaches and Players. You and quite a few others here always offer Solid Logic to your criticism. I can appreciate and handle that all day long. But we have One Clown that comes here ( there are others unfortunately) that said “ he Hoped GT would score again so we Dawgs fans could watch our O go three and out” !! On other threads he’s actually said He Hopes the Dawgs lose !! And that if they do lose We OWE him an apology !! It’s NOT about his “right” to post that sort of Garbage. But my Brother if and when he and others post that sort of junk I WILL Call him out on it as is MY right !! And I’d certainly Hope that You and other Real Dawgs Fans would join me !! It’s one thing to be objective and critical about the quality of Coaching and Play, I get that. But just Whole Sale bashing if our Dawgs, No Sir, I will Not be quite !! Hope You & Family have a Great Post Season !! Go Dawgs !! P.S. As I was posting this TAMU just went up 17-10 over LSU !!! With 1:10 left in the first half !!

edited November 2022

You sort of answered your own question in the end. The fact that dropping Georgia now would essentially put an onus on the committee to leave us out of the playoff if we happen to lose a game in week 14 is exactly why they shouldn't drop us now. Even in that scenario, there's not an argument to be made that Georgia isn't one of the top four teams.

So, the committee suddenly drops us a spot after winning by three touchdowns. Then the next week, say we lose. Do we only drop another one or two spots at that point? That would make no sense. Does Georgia just get left out with only one loss and only two (at most) undefeated teams in the country? That would also make no sense. And again, if Georgia does win next week, then we are clearly the #1 team anyway. Hence, dropping Georgia this week would make no sense. Of course, that doesn't mean that this committee won't do it, just that it would be a senseless and pointless shakeup.

• truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope the dawgs don't bumble and stumble through next week's first quarter. Starting off slow like that and giving the other team a head start might not work as well in the post season, just saying!