Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Todd Monken reportedly interviewed for Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator job this week

2»

Comments

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

@Popeyethesailor and others:

Going from college to the NFL is a promotion. More prestige. Also, Monken has accomplished what he can on the college level as a coordinator (2 national titles ... nobody cares about the Broyles Award). Meanwhile in the NFL he can A. prove that he is capable as an OC at that level - something that his tenures in Tampa and Cleveland did not accomplish - and B. win a Super Bowl.

Another issue: if he wants to be a big time head coach. That likely isn't going to happen at the P5 college level, as the trend these days is to pass up veterans like Monken for guys in their early to mid-30s like Lincoln Riley (34 when Oklahoma hired him), Dan Lanning (35) and Ken Dillingham (32). It seems like they will only consider older guys if they already have head coaching experience which Monken doesn't really (3 years at Southern Miss going on 10 years ago). That Monken isn't known as an elite recruiter doesn't help either, as that is vital for getting a HC job in the SEC, and other conferences tend to shun hiring guys off SEC staffs because they prefer losing I guess.

So his best shot at being a HC at a major college program is to be a successful NFL offensive coordinator. That would put him in line to be hired as a Pac-12, Big 12, Big 10 or ACC head coach. And obviously it would make him a candidate to be an NFL head coach too.

I am really not getting all the angst here. Monken isn't a UGA alum. He isn't from the state and there is no indication that he was ever a Georgia fan. He is from Illinois. Went to college and got his coaching start in the midwest (Notre Dame and small schools) and then went to what I guess should be called the southwest (Louisana, Oklahoma, Mississippi). Before coming to UGA, his only jobs east of the Mississippi were NFL teams in Florida (Jacksonville WR coach, Tampa OC and neither for very long). I don't get where the notion that he was ever going to spend the rest of his career as a coordinator in Athens ever came from - or why he would - when he had never set foot in the place prior to 2020 (barring maybe Oklahoma or LSU having road games against UGA). Also, other than his first real coaching job at Eastern Michigan, Monken has never spent more than 4 years in one place and generally hasn't spent more than 2. And except for EMU and the Jacksonville WR coach job, the times when he did stick around for more than 2 years was when he got a promotion, which isn't going to happen in Athens. So all these efforts to contrive him into some "Dawg for life" and acting as if this is some betrayal - as if he is being disloyal somehow - makes no sense. By comparison, Kirby Smart was in Tuscaloosa a lot longer, his relationship with Saban was longer still, he is actually from the region (the next state over in fact) and would have gotten the Bama when Saban retired (which won't happen with the "9 years older than Kirby" Monken).

And, as I mentioned earlier, really do not see the big deal here. This whole "we need to keep Monken or it is back to Chaney/Coley/Bobo/McClendon" type of deal (though I argue that McClendon deserves a shot - though not necessarily in Athens right now - in a place where Will Muschamp isn't his head coach AND where he has better players to work with). Smart can hire another NFL guy just like he did Monken, or raid an OC from a lesser college program. And as UGA is on top of the college world right now, a lesser college program is basically everyone. Remember Joe Brady, the guy who everyone gave the credit for the LSU national title? Were Monken to leave, Kirby could introduce him as the next UGA OC a mere 16 hours later. Of course, Brady would leave to become the Texas A&M head coach 2 years later, but that is the nature of the game: if your college program is winning titles then your assistants are going to be a revolving door. It is a bigger problem when no one wants to hire your assistants, as was the case with Pete Golding and Alabama.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well…. I guess this means we are moving on from CTM. The most logical selection is Bobo. What I’m hoping happens is this motivates Kirby to go get Hines now. I know it’s a long shot but hey, ya gotta dream big

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Vetdawg

If CKS wanted to hire Bobo, he would have done so when he hired Monken. Bobo was available: Colorado State had just fired him.

Now personally, I think that Bobo would be a good hire. His 2012 offense was record-setting and aside from Todd Gurley didn't have squat when it came to big time talent. Bobo could put in a pro-style offense that would be perfect for Carson Beck and - gasp! - would actually use all the 4 star tailbacks that UGA has recruited as ballcarriers, something that hasn't happened since D'Andre Swift's injury filled campaign in 2019. That UGA will have one of the better interior OLs in the country with Truss, Van Pran and Ratledge all NFL prospects in their 3rd or 4th year (plus Mims in his 3rd year at either RT or LT) would be ideal for Milton, Edwards and Robinson to have 3000 yards combined rushing, which would in turn open up play action for Bowers in the vertical game the way the Saints used to use Jimmy Graham and - though he is more Darnell Washington than Brock Bowers - the Patriots and Bucs once used Gronk. Both Beck and Vandagriff have the height and arm strength that SB IV lacked in order to actually run a traditional offense like that. And Bobo would stick around, as after his debacles at Colorado State as HC plus South Carolina and Auburn at OC, no one would be beating down the door to hire him. Bobo is even an underrated recruiter (better actually than Monken).

But why is Bobo the most logical selection? Joe Brady was the passing game coordinator for the LSU team that torched UGA - and to be fair pretty much everyone else - in 2019. Right now he is the Buffalo Bills' QB coach. If Monken leaves, Brady should be introduced as UGA's OC less than a day later IMHO.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

Popeyethesalior, you make too much sense. I hope that scenario never happens. Either way, I believe CKS has developed a winning formula and can adapt like CNS no matter his assistance coaches. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Monken says he likes to win more than the money. UGA offers more wins over the next decade than with the Bucs or Ravens. The $2 million he gets from UGA is 2x the average OC pay in the NFL. Why leave?

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Supposedly Monken’s house is for sale…if he leaves, I’m with you about Brady!!

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Please not Bobo

Anybody but Bobo

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

Harbaugh won’t turn Monken loose with the Offense like Kirby has, and UGA can double his pay, if need be. But if ego is the deal, just trying to get a Super Bowl ring? Well he’s as good as gone.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thedec

good point about Brady, but how long would he stay if he did come in this scenario?

Bobo’s track record as an OC had UGA lighting up the scoreboards with mediocre talent compared to current roster.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Monken is truly interesting in winning, he's staying. We'll see...