Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Should we tap the breaks a bit on Zeus?

Comments

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:

@amjadawgs said:

@pgjackson said:
    The story I heard is that after Zeus hurt his knee he kept playing in the game. It wasn't a total blowout like Lattimore or Chubb. There was a video recently of him bowling before the surgery. Doesn't sound like major damage was done and he won't suffer the psychological effects so many guys go through after a traumatic injury. I think he will be just fine.

You could be correct, but I thought he just stayed on the field after the injury (on the sideline), but didn’t return to the field of play.

The way the story on DawgNation read--It was almost an afterthought for Zamir to tell his coach about it after a weekend of activity. Nick Chubb's injury was predicted to be career ending my a couple of doctors quoted in the media. What I would add just to help clarify for the OP--I don't think the word, "tear" means the same thing with every injury described that way.

Chubb's injury had a major psychological impact. It was a horrific, traumatic, painful injury. That plays with your mind...basically that's what PTSD is. The psychological damage caused by traumatic injury can be more severe than the actual physical injury. It's doesn't sound like White's injury was that kind of injury. More like a "hey, my knee is kind of sore...maybe I should get it checked out".

• strange_noahstrange_noah Posts: 60 ✭✭✭ Junior

Comparing Chubb's injury to that of Zeus just doesn't work in my opinion. Chubb tore every ligament in his knee but the ACL and had cartilage damage. There is a large mental difference there. I would compare Zeus's injury to Gurley's ACL injury because it sounds like he was cutting just like Gurley and it just happened. Based on his demeanor he almost reminds me of a TG because of how calm and cool he is, but puts in the work. All together I think he comes back strong by mid-season and that's when the coaching staff can decide how much we need him or want to use him. Could be like Najee Harris was for Alabama this past year.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@tiger_62082 said:
    With the depth we have at running back & Holyfield and Swift poised for breakout years, I think it might just be best to redshirt Zeus.

I like our RB depth too, but if he's only likely to be here for 3 years you don't redshirt him. Zeus has been said to be the best RB in the last 2-3 cycles. If he is that good, then he's basically a Gurley in-waiting, and no need to waste a year of him not getting playing time. It doesn't have to be game 1 if he feels he's not ready. By his sophomore year I see him being the starter (thunder), while Swift is the lightning.

the Knowshon Moreno principle.

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I fully expect Zeus to be ready for the opener, but probably not used until the second game against the chickens, then it's full steam ahead, way too talented to be redshirted if he's ready, I don't care how much depth we have

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When White is 100% he’ll be in the rotation, which should be by mid season if not sooner. Can’t wait to see him in red and black.

• JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They won't redshirt a RB since you only have them usually for 3 years regardless. The injury Zues suffered was much less severe than the one Todd Gurley suffered at Auburn. Also Chubb suffered an entire different injury to his knee. It was much more severe. I think he could be ready to go by game 2 or 3, but I think they will wait until the first game in October to play him. Just to be safe.

The RB backfield should be solid next year. In the beginning of the season, I think you will see a lot of Swift and Holyfield. Eventually, in October, you will see Swift and Zues featured with Holyfield, Cook and Herrien cycling in to keep the RBs fresh. Also, the o line will be elite. This is just downright scary when you truly think about it.

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

@tiger_62082 said:
    With the depth we have at running back & Holyfield and Swift poised for breakout years, I think it might just be best to redshirt Zeus.

Don't think redshirt will help. Zeus will be gone in three years (my armchair crystal ball). Swift and Hollyfield will dictate the offense this year.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Redshirt or no redshirt... glad it’s not my call. All I can say is it’s a good problem to have when a school can consider redshirting a young man with this kind of talent.

Get well Zeus.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@andrews1253 said:

@tiger_62082 said:

Don't think redshirt will help. Zeus will be gone in three years (my armchair crystal ball). Swift and Hollyfield will dictate the offense this year.

Even if you’re off by an entire year. And it does take Zeus 4 years to go NFL. It still doesn’t help to redshirt him.

You’re looking at 5 years in Athens for it to make sense to redshirt Zeus.

Does anyone think he’ll still be here in five years?

For it to take that long for Zeus to go NFL, Keith Marshall would have nothing on Zeus as far as injuries go. Keith Marshall didn’t even stay his fifth year.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do feel that Zeus will be back sooner or later. The knee "just didn't feel right" so he had it checked out the next day I believe and ended up going bowling the night before the surgery. I think that bodes well on 2 fronts: 1. Physically he should recover faster than Chubb and 2. Without the trauma that Chubb faced, mentally he should recover in that aspect as well. I think Chubb was fine physically 2016 but mentally didn't seem to have the same determination until about game 8 or 9. White will play in September IMO.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

Agreed

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

@andrews1253 said:

@tiger_62082 said:

I think Holyfield will be good enough it wouldn't be a given White would get more touches even if he's healthy.
    Evander's boy is powerfully built and physically mature, he might be ready to get 20+ touches in some games.

• cusedawgcusedawg Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

@thehutch40 said:
    I wrote up my thoughts from the medical side of things regarding Zeus and how his injury and subsequent surgery compared to some other UGA backs earlier when he first had his surgery. First, a grade 2 (partial) or grade 3 (complete rupture) is going to require reconstruction for a football player so the recovery process is the same. For a "normal" athletic individual, the rehab process typically takes a full 9-12 months or so depending on rehab protocol used (accelerated (8-9 months) or traditional ~12 months). A major factor impacting (reducing) recovery time is lower extremity strength prior to surgery. I would imagine Zeus has plenty of strength in this leg prior to surgery so he has that on his side. I am not sure aware of what type of graph he had, I would wager it was a bone-patella-bone graph, so that would put an accelerated rehab protocol treatment plan at around 6 months for full speed cutting activity and about 8-9 months for full contact recovery. TLDR if all goes well in rehab and he doesn't suffer any complications, we should be seeing Zeus in pads around camp time or a little after. All ACL reconstruction rehabs are different and it is not advisable to compare one player to another. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Zeus running full straight line speed work around G-Day.

Wow! That is a great analysis. You must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We can all rest assured that Zamir is in the best possible hands with Ron Courson in charge of his rehab. Ron will have him properly rehabbed before he is given a release to play at all and Kirby has the luxury of a great stable of RB talent so there will be no urgency to hurry Zeus into the rotation. I am sure that Zeus will be the one that has to be restrained from rushing things along. That said, I am as anxious as anyone to see him blazing down the field.

@thehutch40 said:
    I wrote up my thoughts from the medical side of things regarding Zeus and how his injury and subsequent surgery compared to some other UGA backs earlier when he first had his surgery. First, a grade 2 (partial) or grade 3 (complete rupture) is going to require reconstruction for a football player so the recovery process is the same. For a "normal" athletic individual, the rehab process typically takes a full 9-12 months or so depending on rehab protocol used (accelerated (8-9 months) or traditional ~12 months). A major factor impacting (reducing) recovery time is lower extremity strength prior to surgery. I would imagine Zeus has plenty of strength in this leg prior to surgery so he has that on his side. I am not sure aware of what type of graph he had, I would wager it was a bone-patella-bone graph, so that would put an accelerated rehab protocol treatment plan at around 6 months for full speed cutting activity and about 8-9 months for full contact recovery. TLDR if all goes well in rehab and he doesn't suffer any complications, we should be seeing Zeus in pads around camp time or a little after. All ACL reconstruction rehabs are different and it is not advisable to compare one player to another. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Zeus running full straight line speed work around G-Day.

I certainly agree with your analysis. I think it was his great leg strength that helped keep the ligament from being damaged more than it was and, will, as you pointed out, shorten his recovery period.

• KingKirbyKingKirby Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can't believe so many of you are behind redshirting Zeus. He'll be gone after 4 years, much more likely 3, no matter what. There is no reason to redshirt such a great RB unless they simply won't be able to get on the field at all.

Zeus will certainly be in good health and ready to play by the end of the season. Redshirting him would be ****, and Kirby won't do that.

@KingKirby said:
    Can't believe so many of you are behind redshirting Zeus. He'll be gone after 4 years, much more likely 3, no matter what. There is no reason to redshirt such a great RB unless they simply won't be able to get on the field at all.

Zeus will certainly be in good health and ready to play by the end of the season. Redshirting him would be ****, and Kirby won't do that.

Even CMR, before he lost control of seemingly everything, learned that with Knowshon. With elite players, RS only means you have one less year of them (at least most of them).

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@KingKirby said:

Even CMR, before he lost control of seemingly everything, learned that with Knowshon. With elite players, RS only means you have one less year of them (at least most of them).

Exactly what I was thinking. HS football is so advanced now that elite kids come in to college ready to contribute immediately. Heck, on pretty much any team other than Bama, OSU and UGA, White would already be the undisputed starting RB going in to the 2018 season. The top guys don't need a year or two to grow and learn the playbook. When you have someone who is the #1 player at their position, they do not RS. This is especially true at RB where you might use 4-5 different guys in any game to spread the load. Assuming the season goes as planned, we are going to need every asset at our disposal to beat Bama. I think we can handle the regular season without him, but if we meet Bama in the SECCG or the playoffs, we can't leave anything on the table.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Even if Zeus isn't cleared to play until December he'll play in the SECCG.