Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Should we tap the breaks a bit on Zeus?

13»

Comments

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thehutch40 said:
    I wrote up my thoughts from the medical side of things regarding Zeus and how his injury and subsequent surgery compared to some other UGA backs earlier when he first had his surgery. First, a grade 2 (partial) or grade 3 (complete rupture) is going to require reconstruction for a football player so the recovery process is the same. For a "normal" athletic individual, the rehab process typically takes a full 9-12 months or so depending on rehab protocol used (accelerated (8-9 months) or traditional ~12 months). A major factor impacting (reducing) recovery time is lower extremity strength prior to surgery. I would imagine Zeus has plenty of strength in this leg prior to surgery so he has that on his side. I am not sure aware of what type of graph he had, I would wager it was a bone-patella-bone graph, so that would put an accelerated rehab protocol treatment plan at around 6 months for full speed cutting activity and about 8-9 months for full contact recovery. TLDR if all goes well in rehab and he doesn't suffer any complications, we should be seeing Zeus in pads around camp time or a little after. All ACL reconstruction rehabs are different and it is not advisable to compare one player to another. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Zeus running full straight line speed work around G-Day.

I remember Todd limping off the field post ACL tear and thinking that the injury couldn't be that bad. It ended up being a tear but he was back full speed by week 5 of the NFL regular season. Not like a bridgewater or latimore tear. This is the same vibe im getting from zeus. Not bad, back to full speed early on next year

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope Zamir White is 110% healthy by spring practice. I just do not want to either count on it or hurry him back too early. Georgia is going to be just fine if Zamir does not play in 2018. This is what is meant by Alabama type depth and is what the number 3 and number 1 recruiting classes get you.

• Options
    Apaul404Apaul404 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

@pgjackson said:

@Apaul404 said:
    That's right PG, I remember reading that the tear was discovered after the bowling outing when he got it checked as a precaution.... BTW, how the heck are you?> @pgjackson said:

The story I heard is that after Zeus hurt his knee he kept playing in the game. It wasn't a total blowout like Lattimore or Chubb. There was a video recently of him bowling before the surgery. Doesn't sound like major damage was done and he won't suffer the psychological effects so many guys go through after a traumatic injury. I think he will be just fine.

Hey! Doing great! You still in?

Yes sir, just got done recruiting last year. Out here at Pendleton living the good life.

• Options
    cusedawgcusedawg Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JeffSentell said:
    Prediction:

This thread will eventually produce the same flashback laughs that the "What's wrong with UGA recruiting " thread has garnered on this forum.

It just might even one day spawn a "Looks like the accelerator is stuck" thread regarding Mr. White.

That is what I'm looking for! Thank you, @JeffSentell !

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Apaul404 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Apaul404 said:
    That's right PG, I remember reading that the tear was discovered after the bowling outing when he got it checked as a precaution.... BTW, how the heck are you?> @pgjackson said:

The story I heard is that after Zeus hurt his knee he kept playing in the game. It wasn't a total blowout like Lattimore or Chubb. There was a video recently of him bowling before the surgery. Doesn't sound like major damage was done and he won't suffer the psychological effects so many guys go through after a traumatic injury. I think he will be just fine.

Hey! Doing great! You still in?

Yes sir, just got done recruiting last year. Out here at Pendleton living the good life.

Nice! I miss Pendleton. My second favorite duty station (Athens was #1). If it wasn't so expensive I would have stayed out there after retirement.

• Options
    nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

@cusedawg said:
    Please, will someone walk me off the cliff? This guy tore his ACL late in the season last year and we are expecting him to rehab and be his old self this upcoming season? It took almost 2 years for mr. Chubb to be back to his old self after his injury.

Can someone explain to me how this guy is a miracle of modern medicine? The only running back I seem to recall playing back to their true form less than a year after surgery was Adrian Peterson. I'm as nervous as a key witness about to testify against the Clinton's!

Todd was playing for the Rams the following October. That said- I don't know if he will ever be the same player but hopefully he'll be back for the LSU game

• Options
    Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@oldon42 said:
    I hope Zamir White is 110% healthy by spring practice. I just do not want to either count on it or hurry him back too early. Georgia is going to be just fine if Zamir does not play in 2018. This is what is meant by Alabama type depth and is what the number 3 and number 1 recruiting classes get you.

Spring Practice??? Hopefully you mean Fall Practice. No way UGA even has the kid in shoulder pads and helmets this spring. Zeus will be fine. He is much like Chubb in the way he works and prepares. He had a less serious injury compared to Chubb and Todd. It is going to be tough for Dawgnation to understand because Zeus barely talks to anybody, but trust in @JeffSentell that this kid will not stay past 3 years. Also, look at Kirby's track record with Chubb. As soon as the kid was healthy and had the chance to get back on the field Kirby eased him into it.

I also agree with @Denmen185 from the prespective that Zeus never got hit and carted off the field. Mentally there is a difference when you get knocked out of the game and remember how the injury happened. Zeus had no idea he was even hurt to the extent that he was.

Zamir will end up as the 4th leading rusher and be in the 3 deep by WLOCP or the LSU game. BOOK IT!

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Jinx55 said:

@oldon42 said:

Spring Practice??? Hopefully you mean Fall Practice. No way UGA even has the kid in shoulder pads and helmets this spring. Zeus will be fine. He is much like Chubb in the way he works and prepares. He had a less serious injury compared to Chubb and Todd. It is going to be tough for Dawgnation to understand because Zeus barely talks to anybody, but trust in @JeffSentell that this kid will not stay past 3 years. Also, look at Kirby's track record with Chubb. As soon as the kid was healthy and had the chance to get back on the field Kirby eased him into it.

I also agree with @Denmen185 from the prespective that Zeus never got hit and carted off the field. Mentally there is a difference when you get knocked out of the game and remember how the injury happened. Zeus had no idea he was even hurt to the extent that he was.

Zamir will end up as the 4th leading rusher and be in the 3 deep by WLOCP or the LSU game. BOOK IT!

I believe that he plays against UT if not sooner.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thehutch40 said:
    I wrote up my thoughts from the medical side of things regarding Zeus and how his injury and subsequent surgery compared to some other UGA backs earlier when he first had his surgery. First, a grade 2 (partial) or grade 3 (complete rupture) is going to require reconstruction for a football player so the recovery process is the same. For a "normal" athletic individual, the rehab process typically takes a full 9-12 months or so depending on rehab protocol used (accelerated (8-9 months) or traditional ~12 months). A major factor impacting (reducing) recovery time is lower extremity strength prior to surgery. I would imagine Zeus has plenty of strength in this leg prior to surgery so he has that on his side. I am not sure aware of what type of graph he had, I would wager it was a bone-patella-bone graph, so that would put an accelerated rehab protocol treatment plan at around 6 months for full speed cutting activity and about 8-9 months for full contact recovery. TLDR if all goes well in rehab and he doesn't suffer any complications, we should be seeing Zeus in pads around camp time or a little after. All ACL reconstruction rehabs are different and it is not advisable to compare one player to another. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Zeus running full straight line speed work around G-Day.

Not to quibble but patellar tendon grafts are not used in ACL construction procedures as often as they were in the past. Used to be the standard several years ago but now almost as many allograft procedures are done. Depends on who you ask as to which is "best" and I of course have no idea what technique was used for White's surgery. Totally agree that he is in great hands!!