Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

I Just Saw The Devil

BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coach K was coming out the door at the Atlanta Ritz Carlton a few minutes ago as my wife and daughter were walking through the front door. He stopped to let them go in first. Told my wife she should have flopped.

Almost walked up to Jeff Capel in the lobby to gauge his interest in the UGA job.

Rode the elevator Friday with Tubby Smith and had a nice chat at the Mall today with Jake Skole.

Comments

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whew! Thought you were talking about Paul Johnson!

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thats a lot of name dropping....

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BobcatGrad said:
    Coach K was coming out the door at the Atlanta Ritz Carlton a few minutes ago as my wife and daughter were walking through the front door. He stopped to let them go in first. Told my wife she should have flopped.

Almost walked up to Jeff Capel in the lobby to gauge his interest in the UGA job.

Rode the elevator Friday with Tubby Smith and had a nice chat at the Mall today with Jake Skole.

I don't think I've seen that many "name" people in my life!

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BobcatGrad said:

Holy Cow! I think you just earned a new badge on the DawgNation forum site!

I wish Capel would take the job... for real... bet he would crush recruiting in Ga.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BobcatGrad said:
    I hit the jackpot meeting famous people when I worked for the New York Yankees AAA affiliate, Columbus Clippers from 1979-82.

In 1979, I was the Bat Boy. Gene Michael was the manager and one of the coaches was former All-Big Ten Baseball Player and Heisman winner Howard Hopalong Cassady. I used to catch for Hop when he hit fungos to the outfielders prior to the games.

From 1980-82 I ran the scoreboard during the time period that Don Mattingly played for Columbus and Cal Ripken played for Rochester. During the time period I shook hands with, Billy Martin, Yogi Berra, **** Ford, Joe DiMaggio, Thurman Munson, Reggie Jackson, Mickey Mantle, Mel Allen, Hank Aaron, Bobby Bonds, Bucky Dent, the San Diego Chicken in his street clothes and many others.

My George Costanza moment was hustling to the press box John between innings running the scoreboard when I heard the door open and someone came to the urinal next to me. I turn my head slightly and it was none other than George Steinbrenner. Since I had already shaken his hand in the past I did not extend my hand at that moment.

While most famous people I have met have been very cordial, the two nicest I ever met that I had extended conversations with were two people that had a very negative public perception was Billy Martin and **** Hayes. **** Hayes showed a great amount of compassion for my special needs brother in a very private moment that was very sincere. Billy was also very engaging talking with me and even came back a second time to say goodbye when he was leaving the area.

The PA Announcer I worked with was an elderly man who had announced for the Atlanta Crackers Baseball team and eventually became the announcer for the Columbus minor league team along with Ohio State Basketball and Football. He had been the announcer when Bobby Knight played at O$U. He told me that when he had been very ill in the winter of 1979, that Bobby Knight took the time to visit him in the hospital after Indiana landed at the airport before the team shoot around. While I made a bit of fun of Knight’s former player Coach K, I have learned that the saying of you can’t judge a book by its cover can certainly apply to famous people.

That ain't shizznit. My father met Wayland Jennings once.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Someday maybe I’ll let y’all meet me.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@BobcatGrad said:
    I hit the jackpot meeting famous people when I worked for the New York Yankees AAA affiliate, Columbus Clippers from 1979-82.

In 1979, I was the Bat Boy. Gene Michael was the manager and one of the coaches was former All-Big Ten Baseball Player and Heisman winner Howard Hopalong Cassady. I used to catch for Hop when he hit fungos to the outfielders prior to the games.

From 1980-82 I ran the scoreboard during the time period that Don Mattingly played for Columbus and Cal Ripken played for Rochester. During the time period I shook hands with, Billy Martin, Yogi Berra, **** Ford, Joe DiMaggio, Thurman Munson, Reggie Jackson, Mickey Mantle, Mel Allen, Hank Aaron, Bobby Bonds, Bucky Dent, the San Diego Chicken in his street clothes and many others.

My George Costanza moment was hustling to the press box John between innings running the scoreboard when I heard the door open and someone came to the urinal next to me. I turn my head slightly and it was none other than George Steinbrenner. Since I had already shaken his hand in the past I did not extend my hand at that moment.

While most famous people I have met have been very cordial, the two nicest I ever met that I had extended conversations with were two people that had a very negative public perception was Billy Martin and **** Hayes. **** Hayes showed a great amount of compassion for my special needs brother in a very private moment that was very sincere. Billy was also very engaging talking with me and even came back a second time to say goodbye when he was leaving the area.

The PA Announcer I worked with was an elderly man who had announced for the Atlanta Crackers Baseball team and eventually became the announcer for the Columbus minor league team along with Ohio State Basketball and Football. He had been the announcer when Bobby Knight played at O$U. He told me that when he had been very ill in the winter of 1979, that Bobby Knight took the time to visit him in the hospital after Indiana landed at the airport before the team shoot around. While I made a bit of fun of Knight’s former player Coach K, I have learned that the saying of you can’t judge a book by its cover can certainly apply to famous people.

When I was a grad student at Arizona State we used to go to a club that had rock music downstairs and country music upstairs. Waylon was like the house band there for awhile. Fun times.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My Dad slept in Barbara Mandrell's bed about 30 years ago, she was not there but he was renting her condo in Aspen, Colorado during ski season.

• DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

WOW, that's a lot of name dropping. I guess I have lead a boring life. In my 63 years the best I can do is say I've met Vince Dooley and Gregg Allman. I was actually at a private Capricorn Records party in Macon that included the Allman Brothers and Wet Willie.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

Is Coach K interviewing?

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BobcatGrad said:

That's good stuff @BobcatGrad. Especially love the Costanza moment lol!