Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Does Anyone Still Want to Defend the AJC?

ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chip Towers took time out extracurricular activities downtown to write up another slanderous article for the AJC. This time he wrote that Kirby’s approach to handling Adam Anderson (who he suspended immediately and have we ever even heard the results of that job?) and Jamaal Jarrett (who interviewed by police and charges were dropped) were not strong enough and that the university is protecting these alleged “sexual abusers”. We are all aware of the countless kids who have gotten the help they need because of Kirby, but Chip has his vendetta and the AJC is desperate for clicks.

But that is just today’s news. After Judd’s piece this month another one of our own (@RSDawg) left the forum for sites who weren’t in bed with Cox Media.

So is all of this because Kirby won’t grant more practice viewing time to the media? Because we know that we are not the only university with these same issues. Or are all of the hack jobs because Cox Media’s relationship with the university has been going down the drain? Just look what happened last month:

Cox Media’s WSBTV used to have that contract.

Staff feel free to weigh in. @JeffSentell @MikeGriffith @DawgNationDaily (lol, we know he won’t respond)

To all others, as OP of this thread I say that any AJC hate is welcome and encouraged!

Comments

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting info

• Options
    dshaffers46dshaffers46 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well I am certainly not going to resign from this site and am certainly not defending the AJC. But I read the story today and if half of what was reported about Jarrett's behavior is true, I am going to have a hell of a hard time rooting for this kid. I was always under the impression that Kirby had a zero tolerance policy for sexual misconduct, and Jarrett's behavior is a bit suspect to me.

I really have no problem with sexual activities among consenting college students and had ample such experiences as an undergraduate. I would certainly be disturbed if allegations that the police generally look the other way about misconduct allegations if the alleged party is a Georgia Football player--a claim I find hard to believe. Downvote me or call me anything you care to, but I have zero tolerance for sexual misconduct, especially by those formally representing the Red and Black. Period. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

• Options
    JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I read the reporting for what it is - investigative reporting.

I, too, have zero tolerance for sexual misconduct and the J.Jarrett portion is disturbing. Full Stop.

I think there were some interesting points being made about CKS/UGa allowing students to go as character witness, having Gantt be the "fixer", and the speeding tickets but, with respect to those parts, I would like to see how this compares against the larger CFB landscape because I'm sure this ain't the only place that has this setup. To that end, it feels like the story should've been a micro- to a larger more benign culture across the football landscape.

I don't particularly agree with drawing conclusions about the governance of the football program based on some of the normal happenings of these kids - I bet if you pulled data from ACC police and the school, you might see that the trend is widespread, it's just that these kids are in the same group and have a little more money.

It does seem that CKS motto is, if they are not found to be guilty of things then we will handle it internally and if they are, they are off the team. In that way, he's trusting that they will do their job. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I don't know what I would do in that position and I'm glad I never have to be.

Overall, I'm sure people are poking around corners and I'm sure questions should be asked of CKS. And they should be - he's the HC, that's the gift and the curse of the role and the $$.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would you accept something of value for free from someone with a different agenda from your own? Just because I do, everyday, doesn't make it right for everyone. Welcome to Dawgnation!

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Meh nothing to see here.

It is a sign of the times however. We basically have two America's living in two distinct realities today. Each seeks out news that only confirms what they already believe. Its not healthy long term.

A free independent media is one of the things that makes us great and sets us apart from the Russia's and China's of the world. But it comes with a price. To truly be free sometimes you have to see or hear things you don't agree with. That flies in the face though of what Americans have been conditioned for. See above.

Someone wrote this. As if it was proof of AJC's bias.

They are much happier when they can write about how we choke all the time and fall short.

Well I hate to break it to you. But prior to 2021 that is exactly what this program did. Over and over.

I always thought the AJC did a terrific job covering UGA. In fact growing up in Alabama one of our traditions was getting out on Sunday morning to get the AJC over here. Only way we could get big coverage of the game the day before. For the younger crowd this is pre ESPN.

Bottom line if you don't like what the AJC writes or Chip Towers don't read it. It's a free country. There are plenty of media outlets who are in the bag for UGA and would never report anything negative. We are on one right now.