Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Blindside movie was a fraud

Comments

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Never seen the movie. For sure not watching it now.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You look really dumb right now. Keep reading and you’ll see how flawed his “argument” is

• Options
    DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Blindsided the sequel coming out soon

• Options
  • Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Riiiiiiiiight. Because that's what determines if you play or not in the pros.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How are you so bad at this? I still can't tell if you do it on purpose or not. At least you're consistent.

• Options

You don’t think a well known movie that’s supposedly based on a true story would influence how people view the subject of that story? Or are you saying that NFL players don’t have to learn the playbook? Both are dumb regardless

• Options
    edited August 2023

Lmao I’m literally right and y’all look like fools trying to make Oher look bad because y’all don’t like something about him. Still trying to figure out why some of y’all would so vociferously defend the Tuohys while painting Oher as some sort of criminal.

Tuohys have already been caught in two lies:

1. they never adopted him while repeatedly claiming they had.
    2. Said you can’t adopt adults which is just completely false

Why some of y’all continue to believe them at face value is insane

edit:

3rd lie is that they never made royalties from the film which also isn’t true

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not a lawyer but I knew where the law school was when I was in school. The "facts" in this case (and hence the decision) should be eminently provable/clear cut, especially if the family paid taxes.

• Options
    edited August 2023

Yeah, it’s a pretty clear cut case. Since they were conservators they also have to file annual financial statements with the court and they’ll need to produce all the documents they signed in his name. And like you said they’ll also have tax returns they can go over.

edit: Oher’s lawyers are also saying the Tuohys failed to uphold the conservatorship by not filing those annual financial statements

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,883 mod

You’re pretty bad too. King of forming the opinion then reading the facts. You’re also very consistent and I’m pretty sure you would do it no matter what.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can you point to the post that claimed "They're actually good people because they said they would end the conservatorship....19 years later"? I didn't read that but perhaps I just missed it.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So much to unravel.

Oher lived with the Tuohys on and off for a few years before moving in permanently. He was a ward of the state at that time. He ended up enrolled at a private school which clearly had resources he'd never have had access to otherwise. Oher's lawsuit claims he knew it was a conservatorship but that the Tuohy's told him is was "essentially an adoption". There's the wiggle room that makes both sides plausible.

Oher says he didn't find out he wasn't legally adopted until this last February. That's shocking in and of itself. The pain from that is more likely the driver of this lawsuit, rather than pure financial recovery. Sean Tuohy claims they made no money from the movie other than equally splitting the 1/2 share they had with the book's offer and that came to $14k each. Either he's a bad or ignorant businessman. If he really believed the story would blow up, why settle for that small amount?

"They said the only way Michael could go to Ole Miss was if he was actually part of the family," he told Calkins. "I sat Michael down and told him, 'If you're planning to go to Ole Miss—or even considering Ole Miss—we think you have to be part of the family. This would do that, legally.'"

Tuohy said the lawyers he spoke with told him Oher couldn't be legally adopted because he was over 18 years old, so a conservatorship was the only path available. We were so concerned it was on the up-and-up that we made sure the biological mother came to court" Should be easy enough to prove with lawyer testimony and legally filed court papers.

I never considered the movie to be 100% accurate, never thought Oher was "dumb". It did present a white savior point-of-view but I still liked it in general. Out here in Pac12 country, I never heard of Oher until the movie, lol. At this point, I think he's feeling betrayed and felt the lawsuit was the only way to address it. I don't know if he has money left or not.

Unfortunately, I don't think this family is reparable.

• Options

This is from the Tennessee adoption code concerning adoption of an 18-year old or older which was passed in 1996.

(1) When the person sought to be adopted is eighteen (18) years of age or older, only the sworn, written consent of the person sought to be adopted shall be required and no order of reference or any home studies need be issued.

(2)

(A) If the adult person to be adopted has been adjudicated incompetent, then the written consent of the adult person's conservator shall be required.

(B) If the person is without a conservator and the court has reason to believe that the person is incompetent to give consent, then the court shall appoint a guardian ad litem who shall investigate the person's circumstances and that guardian ad litem shall give or withhold consent.

(C) The guardian ad litem shall file a written report stating the basis for the decision and the court shall afford a hearing to all parties to present evidence as to the best interests of the person, and if the court determines upon clear and convincing evidence that the decision to withhold consent by the guardian ad litem is arbitrary and is not in the best interests of the incompetent person, it may proceed to make any other orders it deems necessary for the person's welfare, including granting the adoption petition.

(3) In all other situations under this subsection (j) for adult persons who are the subject of an adoption petition, no order of reference, social investigation, report to the court by a licensed child-placing agency or licensed clinical social worker or the department, or the waiting period under § 36-1-119 shall be required.

Nothing in here says an 18-year old can't be adopted due to age and that a conservatorship is the only way to establish a legal relationship beyond 18. Tuohys are blowing smoke up everyone's ass and hoping it works out.

• Options
    edited August 2023

I agree. Hate to see Tuohys and their supporters saying taking advantage of a vulnerable person is fine

• Options
    JdawgfanJdawgfan Posts: 173 ✭✭✭✭ Senior