Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Who should be the next basketball coach at uga ? Is Hugh Durham still alive?

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:
    Shaka smart or an energetic young coach. He’s only making 3 million at Texas and stalling out.

Put him near Atlanta and watch him recruit like crazy.

One of my friends works with Shaka Smart and he is VERY happy at Texas. He and his wife love it there and he'd be unlikely to leave due to $. His record is sort of middling, but he has dealt with a lot of injuries/illnesses this year and might still make the tournament.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@3rdshift said:
    a young, hungry and ambitious person...eager to build something from the ground up...Capel may expect more support/commitment from uga. Most of these avail upper tier coaches want program support just as much as an upper tier paycheck. Uga has to show that prioritization "keeping it real"....we are looking for a guy looking to build a name...rather than an established name. We are a stepping stone bball program right now. What Uga does not need is a known mediocre name to satiate fans ....as He rides out his career in mediocrity .

Fox was supposed to be that young, hungry coach, this will clearly come down to the person making the hire being a good judge of ability. I haven't seen anything remotely special about McGarity.

Agree...Imo another factor in the fox hire was his squeaky clean image... @ that time uga was still working on image repair from the past...A plus for uga is our fertile recruiting ground...This should lessen the risk vs reward factor. Also w all the heat around recruiting ...it MAY level the playing field a bit.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugadawgs07 said:
    Just give Dominique Wilkins whatever he wants to get him to leave the Hawks, and come back to his
    Alma mater.

That's an idea I could get behind, for sure.

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@PTDawg said:
    In terms of name recognition an excitement, Capel would be a big pull but I'm not sure if we could get him, honestly without some major steps clearly indicating our commitment to the basketball program.

Capel did nothing with Blake Griffin at Oklahoma. Very overrated in my mind. Better assistant than HC material.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn’t mind seeing ole Pistol Pete trying his hand at coaching the dawgs.

• ugabossugaboss Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

We are talking about resurrecting the dead basketball program not a coach.

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CoachRob16 said:

@PTDawg said:
    In terms of name recognition an excitement, Capel would be a big pull but I'm not sure if we could get him, honestly without some major steps clearly indicating our commitment to the basketball program.

Capel did nothing with Blake Griffin at Oklahoma. Very overrated in my mind. Better assistant than HC material.

Not sure what you base that on. He averaged 14.7 as a freshman and 22.7 as a sophomore. He improved in every offensive statistic. The team those 2 seasons was 53-18. That's pretty dang good. I will very much agree that he didn't do much after that, but his time with Blake Griffin there was pretty impressive. Having a post as your best player will not get you as far as having a guard as it.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208793234

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here’s the dilemma: we need a good recruiter who can compete with the biggest programs for in-state talent. However, to do that, one has to cheat and dance with the AAU crew, both of which will have us put on probation again. So, we look for a solid coach who has integrity and can win by working hard - and so we have Mark Fox. Until we see how, if at all, all of the FBI stuff reshapes the paradigm of college basketball, it’s going to be hard to know what kind of coach to hire. How do you compete when teams like Louisville, KY and UNC get away with so much sketchy behavior while schools like Auburn, Alabama and Tenn out and out cheat?

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugaboss said:
    We are talking about resurrecting the dead basketball program not a coach.

Apologies... I read some far fetched/humorous posts and thought I would add to the melting pot of ideas.On board now....

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Living here in Richmond I was not surprised Shaka moved on, but thought he made a mistake going to Texas not so much because it is a football school but the AD Steve Patterson had a history of blowing up bridges from job to job and sure enough he was gone Shaka’s first year. Shaka was making 1.2 Million at VCU and they built a state of the art practice facility. He could have waited for a better job. Shaka played Dlll hoops at Kenyon College and his wife has degrees from Harvard and Northwestern.

VCU had a highly rated recruiting class that fell apart when he left and the same happened this year when former Clemson Ballboy / Equipment Manager Will Wade took the LSU job.

• jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like Memphis is gonna cut ties with Tubby because going 19-13 is not good enough. They are going after Penny Hardeway. I sure wish we had such high expectations.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jarred_buck said:
    Looks like Memphis is gonna cut ties with Tubby because going 19-13 is not good enough. They are going after Penny Hardeway. I sure wish we had such high expectations.

Penny was a player. Any coaching experience?

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@jarred_buck said:

Penny was a player. Any coaching experience?

He's been coaching a Memphis high school team for a little while now.

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2018

"Georgia’s Yante Maten selected as AP SEC player of the year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/georgias-yante-maten-selected-as-ap-sec-player-of-the-year/2018/03/06/709f4526-2160-11e8-946c-9420060cb7bd_story.html?utm_term=.c595ff8ad535

also was a unanimous pick for the all sec 1st team.. led the sec in scoring. this is how good Maten was: This marks the first time an AP SEC player of the year has come from a team that ended the regular season below .500 in conference play since 1971, when Mississippi’s Johnny Neumann won the award while the Rebels went 6-12 in league competition. Congrats to Maten. Very proud of how he has progressed from a kid that was recruited late and most team's ignore to what he is now."

Did I really just hear this for the first time!?

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@mqg96 said:
    "Georgia’s Yante Maten selected as AP SEC player of the year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/georgias-yante-maten-selected-as-ap-sec-player-of-the-year/2018/03/06/709f4526-2160-11e8-946c-9420060cb7bd_story.html?utm_term=.c595ff8ad535

also was a unanimous pick for the all sec 1st team.. led the sec in scoring. this is how good Maten was: This marks the first time an AP SEC player of the year has come from a team that ended the regular season below .500 in conference play since 1971, when Mississippi’s Johnny Neumann won the award while the Rebels went 6-12 in league competition. Congrats to Maten. Very proud of how he has progressed from a kid that was recruited late and most team's ignore to what he is now."

Did I really just hear this for the first time!?

Big accomplishment for Maten and Fox...perfect eval by fox for his system and Maten flourished. .... when you slow the game down and the focus is defense and ball control...you have to win most 50/50 balls and get boards...Fox for most of his tenure has accomplished this....its just when your always in a half court set and shots are at a premium....He lacks consistent scoring from his guards to create space...i can remember sections of past games where Manns ability to get fouled looked like it was our offensive set. Even when frazier was going Ai @ times...it still had to be defended so that helped...and at times when fox had bigs that could stretch the d...that improved his consistency as well....I don't know if its more bad eval or development.... but jekyll and hyde guard play is not good for any team but its exacerbated in a fox system.

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like Tubby Smith might be available. To be honest... other than a brief stint under Jim Harrick where we were cheating... Tubby was the coach the last time we were relevant. Maybe just try go bring him back to end his career and reach relevance again.

• cfc136cfc136 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

Tubby is 66 now and I thought did a great job at Memphis .

• gregoryrowleygregoryrowley Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

I think Jim Chaney.... :D;):p

• amfireamfire Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

Ron Hunter the Georgia State coach. He's done well, knows Georgia recruiting and I believe just won the Sunbelt conference again to qualify for the NCAA Tourney, and yes he has WON a game in the NCAA Tourney