Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why blaming Mike Bobo for Georgia offense is an easy but oversimplified take

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I must of missed the 40 points we scored this game. What game were you watching? Bobo did good the 2nd half. First half not so much. Beck played very well considering they were blitzing and you need to set your feet to throw some of those deeper passes. Hard to set your feet with a blitz in your face. I did see one time he threw it in the teeth of a blitz and it was complete. I think he played very well. I just think we need to rethink our red zone playcalling. Bobo will improve.

• Options

This is really it imo. Let him rip it next game so he will be ready for Auburn.

Time to take the governor off Bobo and Smart or you are going to be the cause of a loss.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know numbers aren't everything, but just 2 quick numbers...

Monken's 1st year, UGA averaged 32.3 points a game.

So far in 2023, UGA is averaging 39 points a game.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What post did you read? My point was very clear, even when Bono’s offenses were averaging 40+ points a game (under Richt) Dawg fans still complained about his play calling. One thing is for certain, Bobo does not have free rein to open the playbook as he wishes. He is bound by Kirby’s philosophy and blueprint for winning games just as Monken was. That blueprint though not always pretty has worked almost to perfection the past two years.

• Options

If the first half of the game was Kirby's blueprint then his blueprint looked pretty bad. Regardless, 3 points in the first half is not going to get it done no matter what your track record is. I'm dealing with today and the present you are living in the past. Let's see if we can fix the present.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA had 3 1st half possessions. FG, missed FG and halftime. Are you laying the 2 stalled drives all on Bobo? Play calling was a part as was failed execution and SC D rising up. New clock rules are shortening games/possession #'s. If the D would've stopped SC in the 1st half UGA would have had more possessions.

• Options

This article was 7 months ago. Let's see how this all plays out.

If Bobo turns this around with Beck you better be ready to eat some crow. This kind of article should be reserved for an L. Bobo and Beck turned it around at the half and won this thing.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith I agree Mike. I think it’s a little early yet to throw rocks at Bobo. Regarding him Im willing to go into Wait and See mode for a little while. Im interested to see what this Dawgs team can do with Ladd McConkey back and fully healthy. He offers another deep threat.

On a side note I’d sure love to see Arian Smith ramp up his game. We need him as a Confident deep threat. Beck needs as many guys possible that he be Confident to launch the ball down field deep. He has the arm, just needs guys to get down there and get open.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2023

This article is one mans HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE opinion. There are an array of variables offensively that make the beginning of the bobo era and end of the Monken era different. Go back and look at the 2020 schedule and you’ll catch my drift.

This is a new team, with a new identity. It is CRYSTAL CLEAR that Kirby is content to lean on this defense, play conservative and allow the offense time to round into form. Every win may not be flashy; but we can absolutely positively beat every team until ole miss with this strategy.

Let’s let the season play out before we write any scrutiny about Bobo (or any coach/player for that matter) in stone. Every link in our offensive chain can be strengthened; and I’m confident we will see them each grow stronger.

Have a little faith, brother. Go Dawgs.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MikeGriffith love the article. States the facts, and paints a perspective to many Uga fans are too “knee-jerkey” to see for themselves. Time will tell but I feel pretty good about where we are. It’ll be a fun run this year. We’ll continue improving and getting healthier/more cohesive.

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

In business, a good rule of thumb is to not hire friends and family. I squirmed when I read that Bobo was yet again back on the UGA payroll as an "analyst". following six years that included head coach with a losing record and very short gigs as OC at two different other SEC schools.

Seems like the author was trying to place partial blame on Smart for calling the shots etc. Well, he did the same with the previous OC that he does with the current one. I do not buy the excuse of talent and injuries affecting our timid offensive game plans. This is classic Bobo whose third down choice 90% of the time is to just run it up the middle off tackle. Bobo is prdictable to our opponents. Seems like Bobo doesn't trust Carson Beck. Well, I trust Carson more than I trust Bobo at this point. Beck needs to get game reps throwing the long ball now instead of when we are playing our most capable opponents later. Our receivers also need these reps as well as our O line. We have a great defense that can absorb the risk of a couple of interceptions on long balls while reaching operating temperature for the meat of our schedule.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CWdawg1979 I know numbers aren't everything, but just 2 quick numbers...Monken's 1st year, UGA averaged 32.3 points a game.

So far in 2023, UGA is averaging 39 points a game.

Yeh..not so good a comparison with the Covid stuff.that happened...no QB (the WF guy who quit, then Dwan Mathis, then SB, no wait JT. DIDn't have the horses at receiver we have now. Apples and oranges.

• Options

THe clock continuously running is taking away the offense(alot of it) and even enjoyment by us fans. JUst 3 possessions by us in 2 of the first 3 games in the first half. As a fan sitting through 15 more minues of commercials every game is not adding to the fan experience. Surprised no one is raising san over this.

• Options

My main problem with Bobo so far is when we're moving the ball via the pass and we get inside the redzone he feels the need to run it up the gut on 1st or 2nd down and it gets absolutely stuffed! THe passing was what got you into the redzone, but now we have to try to tun it for some reason even though it hadn't been working. Its like a wasted down. FOr anyone who has two brain cells left to remmember when he was here last time, it was a common theme. THe inexplicable two straight runs up the middle for no yardage.

THe other thing is his schemes(for our wide receivers and TE's) do not produce wide open plays from time to time as Monken got. Suddenly Brock Bowers doesn't look like the player he was the past two years. He looks pedestrian this year by comparison. What a shame. Arian Smith looked like he would be someone special this year based on how Monken used him last season. So far, he's been invisible.

WHen I watch the game every receiver seems well covered. And we haven't played anyone really good yet. Hoping for better than averaging 17 points per first half against teams with much less talent than what we have!

THere is no one out there if they are honest, going Wow! that Mike Bobo guy! He's making people forget about Todd Monken! But there are alot of excuse makers for him.

It was a big help getting Edwards back as he is able to create something out of nothing at times with his vision and shiftiness, something our big backs don't have. Bell looks better than Milton and Robinson at this point.

We have scored better in the second half, but much of that is because of our superior talent and depth in just continuously running in fresh guys and we just wear the other team down, not necessarilly because Bobo started scheming things up better. JUst better players.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nope. The failure of those plays are blocking issues. The spread type plays that everyone wants UGA to run were created by teams like Kansas State and Washington State who were weaker than the Nebraskas and USCs up front - caveat: back when those programs recruited and developed linemen well - in order to avoid head to head situations that would put their lesser talented athletes at a disadvantage. But in this case, it was the 4 and 5 star athletes on UGA's OL versus the 3 and 4 star athletes in the South Carolina front seven. South Carolina runs a 3-3-5 defense with a NT that is under 300 lbs and DEs that are 285 lbs and 270 lbs. Their LBs are 230, 230 and 240 and 2 of them are transfers from small schools (Delaware and Georgia State). Claiming that UGA's inability to blow a clearly undersized and lesser talented front 7 off the ball is absurd.

Note that in the second half, UGA started using their TEs as blockers more. The announcers mentioned it. That is when UGA got the running game going and started putting points on the board.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Eh, I think the answer lies somewhere in between. First off, points per game is pointless to look at. Schedules change every year as does the makeup of the offense. We were a run heavy team back then even when we had decent QBs... but then again, we've NEVER had a WR room as deep and talented as Bama had, so tough to tell.

The one thing that Bobo suffered in the past was predictability. When teams expect the run and load the box, if you try and run you are going to get stopped. Period.

In this past game, I still need to rewatch it, but I didn't blame Bobo. Really, it was a complete and utter failure across the team in the first half. Beck did about as well as he could, but the Oline certainly didn't show off, nor did anything else blend together.

Either way, we already came out really really strong under Monken's offense and we need to get that back or we'll find ourselves in far worse waters than 14-3. You need to adapt BEFORE halftime and constantly be adjusting your strategy.