Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Rick Pitino

JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seen an article on the homepage about most fans wanting him. Nope and nope. Nothing needs to be brought in that brings poking around athletics. Not accusing anyone within the organization of anything, but the NCAA will always find a skeleton in a closet big or small. That man has a negative past from all his stops and in my opinion its not worth it.

Comments

• Options
    dawgdude65dawgdude65 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2018

Agree. Never invite a snake into the hen house.

• Options
    TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

please please no

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I want him nowhere near Athens. After his actions at the last stop he should just go away

• Options

Glad to know I am not the only one. The article read as if the majority wanted him

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    I want him nowhere near Athens. After his actions at the last stop he should just go away

As in RETIRE! Agree.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Kasey said:

As in RETIRE! Agree.

I would think he is likely well set for life financially. However, we have all seen a lot of coaches who have desire for competition so I am guessing he will, if the NCAA allows it, show up somewhere, either next year or the next. I believe he is 70 or thereabouts, although seemingly a young 70 or thereabouts. I think he has proven he is/was a very good coach and hope he rides off into the sunset and enjoys the pile of money he's made over the years.

• Options

@donm said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Kasey said:

As in RETIRE! Agree.

I would think he is likely well set for life financially. However, we have all seen a lot of coaches who have desire for competition so I am guessing he will, if the NCAA allows it, show up somewhere, either next year or the next. I believe he is 70 or thereabouts, although seemingly a young 70 or thereabouts. I think he has proven he is/was a very good coach and hope he rides off into the sunset and enjoys the pile of money he's made over the years.

Great coach, but I say save face as much as he can and walk away. Honestly, he used to be one of my favorite coaches, but he needs to step away.

• Options
    insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:
    Glad to know I am not the only one. The article read as if the majority wanted him

An article designed to shape opinion rather than reflect it...shocking!! B)
    Add me to the list of those who don’t want Pitino within 100 miles of Athens!

• Options

@insertusernamehere said:

@JRT812 said:

An article designed to shape opinion rather than reflect it...shocking!! B)
    Add me to the list of those who don’t want Pitino within 100 miles of Athens!

No need to even plant the seed

• Options
    amacdad101amacdad101 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Rick Pitino--are you kidding me!!!!! No! No! No!....and again NO! Mark Fox was a sound coach, but just couldn't over the hump so to speak....Take your time and find the one leader that will help you take your next level step. We need someone that has a keen eye on how to move forward and how to recruit the team for that.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I very much doubt ''most fans'' want Pigtino at UGA.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Heck no to Pitino!

And I am not too confident in any of the coaches I have been hearing about as a possible replacement. At this point, I would even consider going after one of the top women's BB coaches, one of the male or female coaches. Women can coach too! Take a chance, it's not like we have very much to lose anyway. right? Odds are, no matter who we get, we'll still be looking for another coach in a few years anyway.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thad Matta for HC.

• Options
    Dawg19Dawg19 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'd take Pitino

• Options
    thetoastedheadthetoastedhead Posts: 27 ✭✭ Sophomore

No, no, no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope McGarrity has more intelligence than to hire Pitino. Guilty or innocent (and I think guilty), he would have the NCAA camping out in Athens. I could be wrong though, the crook at Auburn hasn’t been caught cheating there, YET!

• Options
    PerfectdawgPerfectdawg Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Thad Matta is the best coach out there right now, for hire. Having said that UGA has invited the evil in before. Remember Jim Harrick folks....lol. I do not think Pitino is an option even though the media has put that out there. I would just hope Matta would keep Jonas if he comes on board.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Run as far away from Pitino as you can!

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Pitino came, did notably better with the basketball team than the last guy, and kept things largely on the up and up as far as ethics go, I’d be fine with it.

The problem is there’s no guarantee that’ll happen. And it’s too important of an organization to risk even if it were just for financial reasons.

Pitino needs to go to a position where there’s not as much risk and put in a minimum of 7 years of good behavior. Then after he’s gone public with the mistakes he’s made and how he’s determined to correct them, we can talk about him being UGA BB HC.