Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Gut Feeling Matta Turns Down Offer- Tell Me I Am Wrong

nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

...it's taking too long. I would think by now they would be scheduling a press conference considering he was in Athens yesterday.

Comments

• ajf611ajf611 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was thinking the same thing until I read the article in the Athens Banner with his brother's quotes. His brother lives in GA and spoke very highly of UGA. I think he is just taking some time to make sure he is in for the long haul.
    http://www.onlineathens.com/sports/20180312/basketball-coach-matta-meets-with-uga-reportedly-has-offer

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not worried - yet. He's only had the offer less than 24 hours.

These things take time. He has to talk it over with the family, consult his atty / accountant / agent, etc.

I'd rather have him make an informed decision to be the next BB coach at our fine institution than to extract a hasty decision from him.

@BullyDawg said:

These things take time. He has to talk it over with the family, consult his atty / accountant / agent, etc.

I'd rather have him make an informed decision to be the next BB coach at our fine institution than to extract a hasty decision from him.

Exactly; anyone remember the Glen Mason fiasco? Would rather him take his time and turn us down vs. accept and change his mind shortly afterwards.

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BullyDawg said:

You're right, but I got this terrible gut feeling.

@BojanglesInsider said:

@nycdawg said:

@BullyDawg said:

(It's indigestion)
    (go buy some tums)

LOL. But gut is never wrong

@ajf611 said:

@BullyDawg said:

Exactly; anyone remember the Glen Mason fiasco? Would rather him take his time and turn us down vs. accept and change his mind shortly afterwards.

Funny -- I was thinking exactly of the Glen Mason debacle when I wrote that! That was a dark time for GA Football, when we couldn't seem to get anyone to accept an offer to coach!

Glad those days are over for football. Now it's time to lift our BB team to relevance!

@BojanglesInsider said:
    Guys on the other sites have said it's a done deal and they're ironing out the specifics. Maybe a press conference by tomorrow. Take it with a grain of salt, but it's a good omen at least.

Do you mind revealing the "sites"?

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Paid sites obviously

edited March 2018

@nycdawg said:

@BojanglesInsider said:
    Guys on the other sites have said it's a done deal and they're ironing out the specifics. Maybe a press conference by tomorrow. Take it with a grain of salt, but it's a good omen at least.

Just read on rivals (free article) that he is working with OHST to work out some specifics from his buyout. He was pad a lump sum of 4.3M in Dec. and gets 100K a month plus medical. Apparently, if he gets another job, they may be able to come after some of the money he was already paid. Assuming they can work that out, it sounds like he is ours. OHST would be **** not to let him go (he is not coming back and is not going somewhere in their conference).

edited March 2018

got it. Now it makes sense...Thanks

I don't understand why and how OSU can recoup the money. It's not like he working and getting paid at the same time

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

deleted due to error

• klw74UGAklw74UGA Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

@nycdawg said:
    I don't understand why and how OSU can recoup the money. It's not like he working and getting paid at the same time

He received roughly 18 months worth of compensation via the December lump sum payment ($4.3MM vs $2.86MM) but has only been out of work 9 months.

@ajf611 said:

@nycdawg said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

Just read on rivals (free article) that he is working with OHST to work out some specifics from his buyout. He was paid a lump sum of 4.3M in Dec. and gets 100K a month plus medical. Apparently, if he gets another job, they may be able to come after some of the money he was already paid. Assuming they can work that out, it sounds like he is ours. OHST would be **** not to let him go (he is not coming back and is not going somewhere in their conference).

Here's what doesn't make sense to me. Mr. Matta had to have understood the consequences of accepting another job and his agreement with OSU prior to interviewing. I'm sure he had legal guidance prior to this week or deciding he wanted to coach again. So why enter into a conversation if you're not willing to release your obligations/agreement with OSU? I'm starting to think that his guy wanted an offer "that he' couldn't refuse" and for a university to back pay any money that he'd lose on the OSU deal. Forget that crap and move on to the next candidate. That's pure greed...

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@nycdawg said:

@ajf611 said:

@nycdawg said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

Just read on rivals (free article) that he is working with OHST to work out some specifics from his buyout. He was paid a lump sum of 4.3M in Dec. and gets 100K a month plus medical. Apparently, if he gets another job, they may be able to come after some of the money he was already paid. Assuming they can work that out, it sounds like he is ours. OHST would be **** not to let him go (he is not coming back and is not going somewhere in their conference).

Here's what doesn't make sense to me. Mr. Matta had to have understood the consequences of accepting another job and his agreement with OSU prior to interviewing. I'm sure he had legal guidance prior to this week or deciding he wanted to coach again. So why enter into a conversation if you're not willing to release your obligations/agreement with OSU? I'm starting to think that his guy wanted an offer "that he' couldn't refuse" and for a university to back pay any money that he'd lose on the OSU deal. Forget that crap and move on to the next candidate. That's pure greed...

Considering everything you said is pure speculation, I'd say you're being a bit harsh. Contracts of this magnitude, whether it's on OSU's or UGA's side, or possibly both, can take time to work out. He's had the offer less than 24 hours, and it doesn't mean everything on the OSU side was ironed out before thinking about taking another offer.

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Assuming UGA increases the salary of the new basketball coach to around 3 million (Bama and SC are at 2.8), I think any deal with Matta will be worth what he was going to receive from OSU.

Even if UGA offers 2.5 million for 4 years, he doesn’t stand to lose any money.

If such an offer is made and subsequently turned down, OSU can make a claim for breach of contract for failing to diligently seek comparable employment.

As far as OSU recouping any money paid, more details are needed on this clause.

Regardless, you have one university who really wants him and another that doesn’t want him on the payroll.

Something can be worked out.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BojanglesInsider said:

@nycdawg said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@nycdawg said:

@BullyDawg said:

(It's indigestion)
    (go buy some tums)

Only a sith deals in absolutes
    I'll do what I must

@BojanglesInsider said:

@nycdawg said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@nycdawg said:

@BullyDawg said:

(It's indigestion)
    (go buy some tums)

Only a sith deals in absolutes
    I'll do what I must

Bojangles out here usin the force

• imissmunsonimissmunson Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think what’s troubling to me is that I haven’t seen any reports on ESPN. Nothing, not even that we offered the job. I just find that odd.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@imissmunson said:
    I think what’s troubling to me is that I haven’t seen any reports on ESPN. Nothing, not even that we offered the job. I just find that odd.

ESPN has laid off a ton of people the last handful of years. They don’t have the resources they once had.