Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Gut Feeling Matta Turns Down Offer- Tell Me I Am Wrong

2»

Comments

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are moving very quick on this hire. I’d say that is because: (1) GM has planned on this for a while, probably going back to January. Programs and departments like ours have contingency plans in place. It’s evident we have been talking to Matta for a month or so. (2) Recruits need to know something quickly. (3) There could be a lot of coaching vacancies after the FBI probe opens up, and it will be a tight market on great coaches with integrity. Georgia would have been back in the line for too-of-the-line coaches if a lot of vacancies opened up.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As to Matta's mobility issues mentioned by Chip Towers, SEGWAY makes a variety of machines - some appear small enough to pack for away games. A smaller one I saw was only $300, so they must not be terribly expensive. At least one model can handle a 220 lb (99.79 kg) person. Note: I have no relationship with SEGWAY or its sales. Nor bushings. Example below.
    http://www.segway.com/products/consumer-lifestyle/ninebot-by-segway-minipro320

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not looking good fellas.

It's been reported that Ole Miss has hired their next coach and we are still waiting for an announcement of some kind. Wow!

• SIlverCreekDawgSIlverCreekDawg Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA seems to like making major announcements on Fridays, so I expect this might happen then.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@nycdawg said:
    Not looking good fellas.

It's been reported that Ole Miss has hired their next coach and we are still waiting for an announcement of some kind. Wow!

Oh ye faint of heart. Patience. Get it done right, not fast.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You don't bring your wife down on a seperate trip to check out Athens if you aren't serious about it . I think it's a done deal, they're going to love Athens and the weather there compared to columbus and you won't have to deal with urban meyer in the general vicinity.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:
    As to Matta's mobility issues mentioned by Chip Towers, SEGWAY makes a variety of machines - some appear small enough to pack for away games. A smaller one I saw was only $300, so they must not be terribly expensive. At least one model can handle a 220 lb (99.79 kg) person. Note: I have no relationship with SEGWAY or its sales. Nor bushings. Example below.
    http://www.segway.com/products/consumer-lifestyle/ninebot-by-segway-minipro320

You’re sarcasm is off the charts. Good work.

.....I hope it was sarcasm.

• PerfectdawgPerfectdawg Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

possibly 3 freaking million. I am a basketball fan and I am all things UGA basketball but ....Where is Kirby Smart's raise already......

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:
    As to Matta's mobility issues mentioned by Chip Towers, SEGWAY makes a variety of machines - .....

No sarcasm intended. Chip said he had a 'drop foot' and a bad limp. Also he cut back recruiting severely in his last few years due to his ailments. It's an accommodation, and just something practical. Granted it might look weird, but a pronounced limp and drop foot won't look commanding and virile either. Perhaps he'll get a new nickname, something like Zip, Zip Matta. Be creative!

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@nycdawg said:
    Not looking good fellas.

It is being reported that Ole Miss hired Kermit Davis from Middle Tennessee State.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:
    As to Matta's mobility issues mentioned by Chip Towers, SEGWAY makes a variety of machines - .....

No sarcasm intended. Chip said he had a 'drop foot' and a bad limp. Also he cut back recruiting severely in his last few years due to his ailments. It's an accommodation, and just something practical. Granted it might look weird, but a pronounced limp and drop foot won't look commanding and virile either. Perhaps he'll get a new nickname, something like Zip, Zip Matta. Be creative!

Haha. I do appreciate the creativity.

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@nycdawg: you and your "gut" are banned from posting about the next candidate! LOL :D
    Don't jinx us, Brother! :#
    _#HereWeGoAgain

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@nycdawg said:

@BullyDawg said:
    I'm not worried - yet. He's only had the offer less than 24 hours.

These things take time. He has to talk it over with the family, consult his atty / accountant / agent, etc.

I'd rather have him make an informed decision to be the next BB coach at our fine institution than to extract a hasty decision from him.

You're right, but I got this terrible gut feeling.

I urged patience. You and your gut were spot on. Kudos to you and your gut!

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Perfectdawg said:
    possibly 3 freaking million. I am a basketball fan and I am all things UGA basketball but ....Where is Kirby Smart's raise already......

I'm sure not crying for Kirby.
    We lose perspective on the value of a million dollars in the rel world.

• TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

You were right and I was feeling the same thing especially when the job was not accepted yesterday. I didn't like this guy when he coached OSU and now I really don't like him. He didn't know all of the excuses for not taking the job before he brought his happy A$$ down here for the interview? Was he playing some kind of game with OSU since they fired him to let them know someone else want him? It shows where his passion lies. He'd rather collect a check from OSU and not coach than take advantage of a golden opportunity to coach the Dawgs. The same talent rich football recruits this state produces for football it also produces for basketball. Alabama's Sexton is from GA. There are 19 players in the NBA that played high school basketball in GA. The coach we need is calling about the open position and not having to be convinced. We don't need OSU leftovers anyway.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your gut feeling was right. I for one think that the way McGarity handled this was awful. You don't make an offer to someone who doesn't want to coach. This was a bad first choice and a screw up by McGarity.