Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Million Dollar Question: Will Coach Crean keep Jonas Hayes on staff?

BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'd love for someone with connections -- or a sleuthing journalist like @sethemerson or @Chip_Towers -- to provide any intel on whether CTK intends to keep Jonas Hayes. (I assume there's a corollary question of whether Jonas wants to stay, but I'm assuming he does because he is a DGD). Jonas was/is a key recruiter and well-liked among players and recruits. He may be able to help us keep current recruits and maybe win back the recent defections...

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sorry, meant to type CTC (Coach Tom Crean) not CTK!

@donm said:
    yes.

@donm: "Yes" as in you agree we need to keep Jonas or "yes" as in you have intel that Coach Crean WILL keep Jonas?

Inquiring Dawgs want to know...

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BullyDawg said:

@donm said:
    yes.

@donm: "Yes" as in you agree we need to keep Jonas or "yes" as in you have intel that Coach Crean WILL keep Jonas?

Inquiring Dawgs want to know...

I agree that we need to keep Jonas AND I hope someone with connections would chime in with any Intel.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Clearly Jonas has valuable recruiting ability and enthusiasm for Georgia basketball.
    I have no insight other than Crean isn't a **** man, which suggests he will consider keeping JH on staff.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It would be smart to keep him

Per @sethemerson article today (https://www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/georgia-tom-crean-basketball-coach-hired):

Assistant coach Jonas Hayes could be retained by Crean. It’s not clear if that was mentioned during the interview process, but it appears Crean understands Hayes’ importance as both a recruiter and a Georgia alumnus.

Not a definitive answer yet, but I like where it might be heading...

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why wouldn't he keep Jonas? Only way Jonas leaves is if he takes a HC position, which in my mind I don't see that he is ready for that yet.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crean seems to be on the verge of keeping him. With Jonas attending the press conference and already speaking to him Thursday night shows a strong possibility of keeping him. Jonas is very much the Kevin sherrer of the basketball team. Aka a must keep for a guy with no in state ties.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would want to bring in my own people...I think Crean would too.......Of course Hayes understands the business...

• ajf611ajf611 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am a fan of this hire, especially after reading the SI article "Out as Coach at Indiana, Tom Crean Embarked on the Ultimate Gap Year". Seems like he reflected and spent time with the best. However, if Jonas is not coaching at UGA because Crean did not offer him, I will immediately question his judgement. I get you want your own people but Jonas is a rising star and a fantastic recruiter. If Jonas chooses to leave, that is another story but Crean's most important recruitment right now is Hayes.